Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Who uses an electric fish filleting knife?

https://ca.bestreviews.guide/electric-fillet-knives?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=t&google_params[creative]=384476657441&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=1t2&google_params[adgroupid]=75312068861&google_params[campaignid]=6537489735&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9001327&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0|316&gclid=EAIaIQobC hMI4ZbEpZql5wIVLh-tBh1WAgtKEAAYAiAAEgJZ7PD_BwE

Curious who uses one? I want to eat more perch...just not keen on filleting 100. Still boneless fillets are the way to go.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 PM

Used one for 25 years, can't beat them. I still use a regular knife for removing bones, but for taking the fillet off the fish and then removing the skin there's no comparison.

WC
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
Used one for 25 years, can't beat them. I still use a regular knife for removing bones, but for taking the fillet off the fish and then removing the skin there's no comparison.

WC
Which one do you have?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-27-2020, 09:03 PM

Blasphemy! Electric knives are for carving turkey and nothing more.

This based on my limited butchery skills and the fact that I've never attempted to use an electric knife on a fish.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 PM

Love my Bubba electric. 4 sets of blades covers any situation.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:53 PM

I have been using the corded Rapala knife for several years. Mostly fish pike and walleye and helps make quick work of them especially if we bring several home. Never tried on perch but imagine similar to walleye. Love mine for saving time.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I have been using the corded Rapala knife for several years. Mostly fish pike and walleye and helps make quick work of them especially if we bring several home. Never tried on perch but imagine similar to walleye. Love mine for saving time.
I'm curious - how does it help? I was always told that a sharp knife was the only way to go. How does an electric knife do it quicker and can it do it as cleanly as a sharp knife?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 PM

Default electric filleting knife

Started using an electric filleting knife about 6 years ago, I wouldn't use anything else for perch & walleye. I use the Berkley Electric Fillet Knife, buddy uses an electric Rapala. They work slick as hell but there is a bit of a learning curve so practice makes perfect.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:55 AM

I use the Rapala Corded Heavy Duty Electric Knife

I prefer the corded simply because anytime I've chosen battery gear of any type, when I've gone to replace the battery, they either have quit making them or they are crazy expensive because the battery technology has changed.

I love the electric knife. Some fish have bigger, denser bones, and even with a sharp regular knife, can be harder to cut through. The electric knife whips through those quickly, and without effort. Simply makes the job faster and easier.

Here's a link. You won't regret it.
https://www.amazon.ca/Rapala-Heavy-E.../dp/B00F5EK3CG

Oh ... if you want a case for it? It fits perfectly inside a handgun case you can pickup from Cabelas for cheap.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:59 AM

I just bought the Bass Pro corded one, c/w carry case and 2 blades. $55
It is a filleting game changer, can't believe I waited so long.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I'm curious - how does it help? I was always told that a sharp knife was the only way to go. How does an electric knife do it quicker and can it do it as cleanly as a sharp knife?
Speed. I can fillet fish 4 fish with an electric in the time that it would take to do one with a knife.
That's sure nice when everyones comes off the lake and heads to the cleaning table at the same time in the evening.