Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
Okay, I'll bite. Here are some flies I tied up for pike this spring. Let's hope the fish like them.

Attachment 160544
Killer! Those red and white ones should be tops. Those longer chartreuse flies will work on pike but I find work even better on walleye. Nice work!
Old 01-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. Here are some flies I tied up for pike this spring. Let's hope the fish like them.

Attachment 160544
Nice work

The red/white ones in the middle right would be my first choice in that batch
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Thanks guys. Seeing your handy work has me thinking I need to try making some other types of lures.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Seeing your handy work has me thinking I need to try making some other types of lures.
Only way to figure it out is try. The only lure style I have not built is soft plastics but plan on getting into pouring swimbaits. Lure building can range from simple to technical

If you are interested in building inline spinners I maybe able to help you out because I am getting out of this to focus on my hardbaits

If you are interested in crankbaits I have been posting my progress of a wooden deep diver in another thread. If this is an crankbaits are an interest follow that thread and ask questions. What I am posting in the build is most how to make a crankbait. The designing of a crankbait to achieve different actions and depths is the hard part. The build will only touch on small parts on how to achieve actions. I don’t mind sharing information on this but it would be like writing a novel because of all the small adjustments to get different results. In all honesty it’s not hard to make a chunk of wood wiggle it’s knowing the kind of movement you are going to achieve and rough depth that is hard

Pics of my baits just shows my carving and painting but how they move is where the magic is
Old 01-16-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
I started pouring and dipping/tieing my own tubes jigs this summer!
What an amazing job Egymcara. Those Tubes looks killer.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Home made lures and two of my solid carbon custom rods, carbon perch / carbon lake trout rod.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Home made lures and two of my solid carbon custom rods, carbon perch / carbon lake trout rod.

Your egg cluster looks like a fly I used/tied for salmon except I had a little rabbit fur at the front and a little crystal flash on the tail. It was deadly for late season coho

Do you build full size rods as well?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Your egg cluster looks like a fly I used/tied for salmon except I had a little rabbit fur at the front and a little crystal flash on the tail. It was deadly for late season coho

Do you build full size rods as well?
I haven’t built any full sized rods. Not saying I can’t. I have a full size blank that I ordered for my son because he wants a green fishing rod in the worst way. So my first full-size rod build will be a built together with him and he will be getting a super cool green rod with a radical fluorescent green split grip. At age 9 he will have a nicer rod than I have.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I haven’t built any full sized rods. Not saying I can’t. I have a full size blank that I ordered for my son because he wants a green fishing rod in the worst way. So my first full-size rod build will be a built together with him and he will be getting a super cool green rod with a radical fluorescent green split grip. At age 9 he will have a nicer rod than I have.
That’s awesome and he will likely appreciate that more than buying one off the rack
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Are those the MHX blanks? If they are, how do you find them?
Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=Brandonkop;4075899]I dont have anything special besides a cheapy bass pro vice, but i enjoy tying flies and jigs for fishing. Some have been highly effective for trout and salmon. Feels pretty good when your own jigs slay.

Tied a lot of chironomids this year and maybe next spring I'll get some time to try them out
wow Im surprised you have time to wet a line!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Attachment 160544
the ones with the blue back under the cartridge base look like my walleye flies, only with a red back instead of blue, the pike like them too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
Are those the MHX blanks? If they are, how do you find them?
Yes those are the MHX Blanks. They are from mudhole. I order a bunch then drive to Montana a pick them up saves a
Months wages in shipping costs.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:43 PM

I have been messing around with lure building for a while , painting blanks , building my own, casting jigs and pouring soft plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Only way to figure it out is try. The only lure style I have not built is soft plastics but plan on getting into pouring swimbaits. Lure building can range from simple to technical

If you are interested in building inline spinners I maybe able to help you out because I am getting out of this to focus on my hardbaits

If you are interested in crankbaits I have been posting my progress of a wooden deep diver in another thread. If this is an crankbaits are an interest follow that thread and ask questions. What I am posting in the build is most how to make a crankbait. The designing of a crankbait to achieve different actions and depths is the hard part. The build will only touch on small parts on how to achieve actions. I don’t mind sharing information on this but it would be like writing a novel because of all the small adjustments to get different results. In all honesty it’s not hard to make a chunk of wood wiggle it’s knowing the kind of movement you are going to achieve and rough depth that is hard

Pics of my baits just shows my carving and painting but how they move is where the magic is
Thanks for the offer on the spinner baits, I'll keep it in mind. I have been following your other thread and enjoying it very much.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
the ones with the blue back under the cartridge base look like my walleye flies, only with a red back instead of blue, the pike like them too.
They are my version of a bunny leech. I try to keep them simple and robust as the pike tend to make short work of them. I have them in a bunch of different colours. A few guys have mentioned using them for walleye now, something I'll have try this year.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I have been messing around with lure building for a while , painting blanks , building my own, casting jigs and pouring soft plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice work

Soft plastics is something I plan to take the leap into in time. I really like tossing swimbaits for pike and have some ideas
Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM

To you guys with more experience making your own lures. Do you find it more cost effective or is just for the enjoyment and challange. I'm seeing some nice work here.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
To you guys with more experience making your own lures. Do you find it more cost effective or is just for the enjoyment and challange. I'm seeing some nice work here.
All depends what you already own for tools and to what level you want to take it. What I do with my hard baits is not cheap to start. The cost of creating molds, resin/micro balloon recipes, and tools are costly to start. I invested a bit of money learning too. I have all kinds of fancy stuff and a whole room dedicated to lure building but I also sell my lures

Now my very first wood crankbaits cost me almost nothing. They were crude made with a pocket knife, dremel, and hardware. I spray painted them and sealed them with super glue. They did catch fish and cost me probably less then 1$. I learned a lot from making those ugly lures

The wooden crankbait in the build along won’t cost me much

When it comes to spinners/spinnerbaits it’s more assembly and painting so it’s supply cost. If you order your supplies from the right places in decent numbers it’s cost effective. You can get by with two pairs of pliers and even a fancy commercial wire bender it only about $200.

It all depends on what you are making and how far you take it. When it comes to hardbaits keep it simple to start and figure out how to make things move first. I have created a lot of failures learning so might as well create cheap failures lol
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 AM

Default ice gear

I make custom aluminum transducer arms for ice flashers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200105-181344_Gallery.jpg (22.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-04 12.29.27.jpg (37.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191121-134149_Gallery.jpg (22.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191121-134201_Gallery.jpg (22.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 PM

I made some planner boards. Had the welder weld up some light aluminum arms, the rest is wood, thread bar and nuts, hooks, etc..

Old 02-04-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Yes those are the MHX Blanks. They are from mudhole. I order a bunch then drive to Montana a pick them up saves a
Months wages in shipping costs.
This guy carries or can get all Mudhole blanks.
https://rodbuildersupplies.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-05-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I made some planner boards. Had the welder weld up some light aluminum arms, the rest is wood, thread bar and nuts, hooks, etc..

I have never used planner boards. I know they have an advantage when running lots of lines but do they have benefits beyond that?
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 AM

Nothing fancy but way better quality then the ones you can get in the store.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:53 AM

The quality you can reach and the ability to create gear that is exactly what you want is a big plus. I found the more skill/knowledge I have developed with lure building the harder time I have buying some of the mass produced gear

There is definitely benefits to making your own gear
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I have never used planner boards. I know they have an advantage when running lots of lines but do they have benefits beyond that?
The big one is spread you cover more water in one pass.

you can run a lure close to shore and not risk a prop to rocks

Some fish like Tout and Kokanee can spook from a boat with lures out from the boat you can get a shot at those fish.

About the only time I buy gear any more is to own a sample so I can properly Knock it off. Or something I just can't make.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The big one is spread you cover more water in one pass.

you can run a lure close to shore and not risk a prop to rocks

Some fish like Tout and Kokanee can spook from a boat with lures out from the boat you can get a shot at those fish.

About the only time I buy gear any more is to own a sample so I can properly Knock it off. Or something I just can't make.
Being able to run a line close to shore I can see benefits for sure. Have always long line or down rigger trout/salmon and never seen anyone use planers in BC/Alberta so assumed with limited lines there was not much benefit. May have to try one out to see what I think

I definitely don’t buy anything I can build either. Never been into duplicating existing lures but design things to fit my needs

I know you pour soft plastics do you know a good supplier for Plastisol that you don’t get killed by shipping? Working on two hybrid designs that should be promising
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 AM

I am figuring out a reliable supplier for plastic , I had one that was cheap, but it has turned very unreliable. My son and I are planning an attempt at going semi-pro so we need to get a dependable source. Lure parts has the do-it plastic, but it too soft for big pike baits.

I forget the brand off hand but the last quote I got was 90$usd to ship a 5 gallon bucket, IIRC about 200$ CND total. Depending on what you are doing a gallon goes a long way for personal use.

A tip from a guy on tackle underground was to call/e-mail rather than take the default shipping from the website

I remembered that I had the e-mail close and I am too lazy to edit the post
https://baitplastics.com/ 175$usd for 5 gallons shipped.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I am figuring out a reliable supplier for plastic , I had one that was cheap, but it has turned very unreliable. My son and I are planning an attempt at going semi-pro so we need to get a dependable source. Lure parts has the do-it plastic, but it too soft for big pike baits.

I forget the brand off hand but the last quote I got was 90$usd to ship a 5 gallon bucket, IIRC about 200$ CND total. Depending on what you are doing a gallon goes a long way for personal use.

A tip from a guy on tackle underground was to call/e-mail rather than take the default shipping from the website

I remembered that I had the e-mail close and I am too lazy to edit the post
https://baitplastics.com/ 175$usd for 5 gallons shipped.
Good to know the soft plastics aspect is going to be adding a new technique and learning the ins and outs for a bit. As you have realized access to supplies sucks in Canada.

Right now because the hybrids are prototypes not worried about quantity. These are definitely unique designs that will take some tinkering. The first ones I am just going to recycle some old bass bait even lol. Right now working on masters till I get what I am happy with

I have been selling lures on a small scale off and on for years. I decided this spring to step things up putting in a real effort. I will be focusing on my hard baits. Just got all my stuff set up in my new place

Depending on the direction you and your son are going I might be able to help you out a little
Old 02-05-2020, 02:19 PM

Old style russian jigs. Add a red bead and destroy whites and perch.

Couldnt find a source anywhere for these old timers but found a place with blades so i bought them all. just solder on a hook and fill your bucket.

Not selling any at this time but might down the road.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk