Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Anybody have Aqua-Vu Av715C camera?

Just bought one of these last week at Cabelas as they are on sale with the Mono-Pod and a 75' cord. This is my first underwater camera so I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest but have been less than impressed with the clarity and the colour. I've had it out a few times now and have played with the adjustments but can't get it much better. Pretty good deal, but if I'm not happy with it I may as well return it for something else. Is the Marcum VS485C any better? It's going to run a couple bills more with the Mono-Pod purchased separately, but if it's a marked improvement it'll be worth it to me. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:41 PM

I have had one for several years and am happy with mine. I must admit the camera lense part of a Marcum is better than what Aqua vu uses but not a deal breaker for me. Look at the hd model if you want a nicer picture. I would suggest the aqua vu would generally be better in the reliability dept. from my experience having been in the business before and knowing several owners and former owners. Pick your poison as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Just bought one of these last week at Cabelas as they are on sale with the Mono-Pod and a 75' cord. This is my first underwater camera so I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest but have been less than impressed with the clarity and the colour. I've had it out a few times now and have played with the adjustments but can't get it much better. Pretty good deal, but if I'm not happy with it I may as well return it for something else. Is the Marcum VS485C any better? It's going to run a couple bills more with the Mono-Pod purchased separately, but if it's a marked improvement it'll be worth it to me. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Might have to do with the lake your fishing, some are clearer than others. As far as switching to the Marcum I'd say not worth it. I have the 485c Marcum, a buddy has the 715 aquaview and I'd say they are pretty comparable in similar environments.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:44 PM

I have the Marcum485 and I have to agree with OJ JR on clarity of the lake your fishing. Some days mine is like watching tv in HD and other days I can barely make out what’s going on 3’ past the lens. I don’t think you can go wrong with any underwater camera but if your that concerned maybe take a few pics and others can chime in if it’s actually the camera or just the lake clarity that day. With high winds and warm weather the clarity down here in the south has been going down hill quickly.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:11 PM

The 715c is an entry level cam at an entry level price. That being said... its a great cam for seeing if theres structure under your hole and then switching over to a flasher. If you dont like it, take it back...go to The Fishin Hole south edm.... and buy a Vexilar fs800. Ita bullet proof. About same pic quality.. and the toughest camera and ugliest out of all brands. The 485 by marcum you probably will be happier. And all cams are on sale at TFH.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Might have to do with the lake your fishing, some are clearer than others. As far as switching to the Marcum I'd say not worth it. I have the 485c Marcum, a buddy has the 715 aquaview and I'd say they are pretty comparable in similar environments.
I have 2 Marcums, a 485x and a 825c - the 825c is definitely a little sharper, and definitely better in low light.

BUT I agree .... the lake is the biggest factor in any camera's performance and, as others have noted, the difference between the Aquaview 715 and 485c Marcum is indescribable side by side.

The 825c Marcum does stand out from both and is clearer in all conditions, however that's an upgrade with a price to match .... is it worth it? really hard to say because most of the time if the lake is cloudy, it's cloudy and you are not getting more than a few feet of visibility. In clear lakes, yeah, the 825 seems to see further and is sharper, but the 485c or the 715 are just fine and definitely work quite well enough.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Big Racks, It’s not just you. Even in the clearest water and lightest conditions I’m not very impressed with the AV 715c either. Given the kind technology available today in a lot of other things the entry level underwater cameras definitely underperform. I’m saving my pennies for one of the HD versions. Better low light performance and nicer screen. The cost is high, but they just don’t sell the volumes needed to bring that price point down.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Bottom color and depth are huge factors as well as lake clarity. I find you start losing distance after 20 ft. Just my experience. I still prefer a flasher but camera's have there place.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have 2 Marcums, a 485x and a 825c - the 825c is definitely a little sharper, and definitely better in low light.

BUT I agree .... the lake is the biggest factor in any camera's performance and, as others have noted, the difference between the Aquaview 715 and 485c Marcum is indescribable side by side.

The 825c Marcum does stand out from both and is clearer in all conditions, however that's an upgrade with a price to match .... is it worth it? really hard to say because most of the time if the lake is cloudy, it's cloudy and you are not getting more than a few feet of visibility. In clear lakes, yeah, the 825 seems to see further and is sharper, but the 485c or the 715 are just fine and definitely work quite well enough.
How does the 825 compare to the 485 as far as daylight viewing outside of a shack? I've been pretty happy with the 485 as it's mostly been something to keep the kids entertained but it would be handy to have something that's easier to see in the daylight to scope out weedlines and such. Plus I believe the higher end models come with longer cables, only a 50 footer with the 485.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 PM

Honestly I prefer my Amazon special. The eyoyo is more than enough camera for Alberta's mudbowl lakes.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 PM

I have the aqua vu 715 and i really like it.For the price its a good tool.I fish mostly in 10-20 fow but I used it in sask this xmas where we were fishing at 33 ft and it performed well.Bro in law has the marcum and you couldnt see a noticeable difference between them.Also the battery has a great run time,i have never had it drop out in 7hrs of fishing.Havent seen or watched an expensive camera perform but if it gives you a little more clarity or depth i cant see spending 400 more on it unless you are competing in money tournaments.But what do I know.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:56 PM

Be sure to peel the plastic lense protector off.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:27 AM

I have a cheap EYOYO camera that we bought for 200 bucks. I was researching and read an article about a guy who examined various cameras only to discover that they were pretty much the same (same motherboard in camera), and that it was the displays that varied widely. I think what someone is paying for is the display. A young fellow we fish with has the 715C and I find that we have the same picture quality. My camera is not as sturdily made, wire is a lot thinner, but I can deal with that. The image I get is quite amazing
Old 02-03-2020, 09:36 AM

I think there's at least 3 threads on this now.....yeeeeeesh.

As I've said in each one of them, I love my AV 715c. Best investment in ice fishing for me, by far. Cannot get over the clarity and detail you get with it, and it has 100% help me get more fish. We use it to identify bottom structure before we set up on a spot, and we use it to help convince fish to bite. It's far more important than my sonar to me...
Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I think there's at least 3 threads on this now.....yeeeeeesh.

As I've said in each one of them, I love my AV 715c. Best investment in ice fishing for me, by far. Cannot get over the clarity and detail you get with it, and it has 100% help me get more fish. We use it to identify bottom structure before we set up on a spot, and we use it to help convince fish to bite. It's far more important than my sonar to me...
Amen! I have one as well. I'll just add that mine takes a beating and has been dropped so many times...broken two of the down view fins and then broke the actual camera fin that they attached to. Still going strong...looks broken but works
Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM

What are your go-to settings for brightness/contrast/color etc? I find that the LED light picks up a lot of the suspended particles and makes the picture worse. I haven’t used it on a real sunny day yet either though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 02:28 PM

I don't mess with the default. It works. You want to be inside a tent for best viewing, and preferably on a sunny day. When it's sunny outside, and you're inside the tent, the camera is just so clear and shows so much. I was out on Newell with it a few weeks ago and it was like HD, I swear. Incredible...
Old 02-03-2020, 02:31 PM

I have a 715C. If I had to do it again I'd try another manufacturer. I can't get mine to show me anything decent on the screen below 15-20'. I get that there's low light down there in the winter, but it makes me wonder what the heck would I do with a 75' cord if turning on the lights isn't legal? Besides - any murk at all in the water - the light just shows you every speck floating around in the water...
Old 02-03-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
What are your go-to settings for brightness/contrast/color etc? I find that the LED light picks up a lot of the suspended particles and makes the picture worse. I haven’t used it on a real sunny day yet either though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find I'm always adjusting every time. Depends on the lake a lot. Gull would get more brightness than say Sylvan since it is slightly cloudy.

Also, for viewing outside I'm always setting up with the back of the screen to the sun and have the brightness cranked way up. Then it works okay enough. As others have said, a tent goes a long way for this cam...or really any of them out there.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:33 PM

I have an older 715c and love it. It has a 50' cord and I've been at maximum depth at Slave Lake and it works good until the sun starts to go down.
It definitely helps me catch more fish. For perch you can really find what triggers a bite and what doesn't. Very subtle movements can make a big difference. There are lots of times they will suck in the bait and spit it out and without the camera you wouldn't even know. You can often trigger a bite by jigging and raising it and they sometimes chase it and strike
For walleye, sometimes they will come in slow and just look at your bait. Jigging will often cause them to turn away but if you just drop it to the bottom and leave it alone they often come back and pick it up. Other times I jig it a bit and raise it as I am jigging it they will sometimes chase it up and take it.
I also like that if a pike or burbot come in and you don't feel like catching and releasing one you can pull the hook away until they leave.
I also have noticed quite a few whitefish will come in if you bounce it and stir up the bottom a bit.
I have an older 710 that only works well shallower.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
How does the 825 compare to the 485 as far as daylight viewing outside of a shack? I've been pretty happy with the 485 as it's mostly been something to keep the kids entertained but it would be handy to have something that's easier to see in the daylight to scope out weedlines and such. Plus I believe the higher end models come with longer cables, only a 50 footer with the 485.
825 is better at everything really - brighter, crisper, better low light performance, better in the sun ...... the 485 is pretty darn good though - and I have no issue with it really.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
I have a cheap EYOYO camera that we bought for 200 bucks. I was researching and read an article about a guy who examined various cameras only to discover that they were pretty much the same (same motherboard in camera), and that it was the displays that varied widely. I think what someone is paying for is the display. A young fellow we fish with has the 715C and I find that we have the same picture quality. My camera is not as sturdily made, wire is a lot thinner, but I can deal with that. The image I get is quite amazing
That article is full of dribble.

The technology, even between Marcum units, and comparing between the 485 and the 825 are quite different requiring different processing and a different screen to provide the difference in performance and resolution.

Now to say that's true of all cameras ..... well that is just even harder to believe.

It's like saying all cars, from all manufacturers use the same engine under the hood.

Looking at them side by side, like I do all the time, I can clearly see, without any hesitation, there's a difference - so can anyone else looking at them.