Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
sheephunter

Default Helgie Eymundson buck officially scored

Ran into Helgie at SHOT Show and found out the official score on his buck is 276 1/8. That should put it at #15 in the world but Helgie told me that it would require panel scoring at the next B&C panel. What an awesome Alberta deer and a most gracious hunter.....It was a real pleasure to shake his hand.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Quite the coincidence that you posted that today,the mechanic working on my project asked me this morning if I had seen a pic of this deer and up until now I hadn't.He is Helgie's neighbour,thanks for posting.Incredible deer!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Awesome Buck..... wait till you see it for real!... it is Hugeinormous!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM

That one heck of a big buck
g
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

That is one incredible deer.
Apparently there is suppose to be a write up of it an a February issue of a North American Whitetail. I haven't seen it on any newsstands yet.
The hunt is also suppose to be available on Wild TV Recoil soon.
Any rumors as to what part of the province it came from?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-06-2008, 02:57 PM
sheephunter

I picked up an autographed copy last week at the show. Another treasure to add to my growing collection.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM

The part with some trees and snow!.....
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM

WOW

AKA MAVERICK
Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM

It was apparently shot near Jarvie.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 AM

I actually hunted within a couple miles of where Helgie took that great buck. I guess it wasn't my turn to win the lottery. Can't wait to see the hunt on wild tv's "Recoil on demand". Going to come out this month I read on the website.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the broadcast, of the hunt.
Looking forward to that for sure, if you get a definate date and time please post it.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 AM

so with a buck like that i have heard rumours of shops like cabellas offering large sums of cash fo rit...are these rumours true..or rural myths (not urban myths hahaha)
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 AM
sheephunter

I suspect there will be some buyers interested in this buck for sure....depending on your definition of huge cash, it could likely fetch a hefty sum if he decides to sell it.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM

What the Deal on the B&C Panel having to look at it? I know with that type of palmation, this is normal course...

My understanding is the panel meets every three years.....I think they met last year, so next time will be 2010...

Does this mean this buck won't be 100% official until then, or is the panel more of a formality?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
What the Deal on the B&C Panel having to look at it? I know with that type of palmation, this is normal course...

My understanding is the panel meets every three years.....I think they met last year, so next time will be 2010...

Does this mean this buck won't be 100% official until then, or is the panel more of a formality?
B&C often requires animals that score very high in the books to be panel scored before their score becomes official. They will be listed in the books with an * until the panel gives them an official score.

The strange thing is, if you refuse to send it for panel scoring, it is removed from the books all together. I had a buddy that shot the world record mountain caribou and it was listed with an * for a number of years but as he refused to send it for panel scoring, they eventually removed it from the book.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
B&C often requires animals that score very high in the books to be panel scored before their score becomes official. They will be listed in the books with an * until the panel gives them an official score.

The strange thing is, if you refuse to send it for panel scoring, it is removed from the books all together. I had a buddy that shot the world record mountain caribou and it was listed with an * for a number of years but as he refused to send it for panel scoring, they eventually removed it from the book.
I guess I understand the confirmation of "big scorers" by the panel....The thing that sucks is if you have to wait up to three years, I assume the antlers will still shrink a tad more from the 60 day drying period....so if there is 1/8" difference from the first official measure to the panel measure, do they change it.....

I guess it really isn't that big of a deal, hell if I ever get something that requires panel to score it....who cares what the final score is....
Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
sheephunter

It's my understanding that the panel does allow for additional shrinkage but I'm not exactly sure how they calculate it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Well that seems fair.....
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It's my understanding that the panel does allow for additional shrinkage but I'm not exactly sure how they calculate it.
That's my understanding as well. I don't think there are exact numbers for the excess shrinkage they allow.

Panel measuring is just a way to ensure the records are as accurate as possible. It makes sense to me that world records or near-world records should be confirmed by more than one set of eyes. That tough part is that it is the trophy owner's responsibility to cover the costs of shipping it to the panel. This can be pretty pricey in the case of Moose, Caribou etc. but I think it is worth it. In some circumstances B&C or P&Y can arrange a smaller panel of measurer's closer to the trophy owner if need be.

Chet