Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM

Default So I went to buy a car...

I' phoned a guy about his car after seeing an ad for a Versa in really clean shape. We talked for around 10 minutes, 70k, *mint condition, his moms car, no accidents, damage, dings/dents/ rebuilt? All the usual questions. I Stressed I lived in the Deep South and he's way up in citadel, (50 minutes and 47k to be exact) so he did his best to describe it.

... What he failed to mention we're the golf ball sized hail ALL OVER the car. Something he hid in his pictures, ad, and our conversation.

I lost my cool and tore as strip off him, all the time the guy is apologizing and feels bad about tricking me, bla bla

I drove maybe 6 blocks before I did something I have never done before, I turned around and drove back to his house. Banged on the door, guy answers looking scared as .. .. And I said " I want $20 for my gas money"

He pauses, I Say "look you lied to me, admitted you tried to trick me, and wasted my time and gas, I want $20.

He pulls out his wallet, then STOPS and Changes his mind ! and puts it back!! I told him "ok, just look for the ads I Am about to post with your car and license plate, see how easy it is to sell a car..."

$20 dollars in hand, I walked away feeling a little better
Old 10-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Default Good for you!

Well done!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM

That is awsome good on you.
I just expect a bunch of undisclosed problems in that situation after many similiar experiences.
Went to look at a truck once that was approx a hour away and then the lady seller was a hour late only to mention 'o by the way its a write off ' needs to be fixed and inspected.
Just looked like it needed a new tail light in the pictures.
Women can be douche bags to.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Default Good for you

Sucks to be lied to for something that obviously is a deal breaker.Glad to hear you got $20 for gas money and time wasted and I bet the guy adds in the details of the hail damage in the kijiji ad.

FTH
Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Well done!
X2

Are you a Wiser man ? http://vimeo.com/30035256

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Well done!
X3
Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Like a boss
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Well done!
X4
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 PM

Good for you! I'll keep that in mind the next time I am misled too!!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Be careful, it's a fine line...

http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-canada/346-extortion

Ensure that you would be comfortable properly articulating before a criminal court that your actions/threats to make it difficult to sell his car were 'reasonable' in the circumstances. There is a lot in this section that is open to interpretation, but wouldn't want you to be on the wrong side of a judge's interpretation

In no way am I saying this guy was in the right or that you were in the wrong. Just trying to protect you from potential trouble.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 PM

You sir, need to strut!
So many times I wish I would have done something like that and never did.
Your story almost brought a tear to my eye.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM

Had similar experience with an impala. Lady wanted 3500 a few years back. Was a reasonable asking price if it did not need a pile of front end work.offered her a little over 2000, and she refused. I told her I wasted my time cause her car was in disrepair, and she failed to mention the door handle was busted. She had no clue, people often don't. I am amazed you asked for coin, I figure getting your time wasted was often power for the course.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 AM

Beautiful.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't want to drive from RedLabel's place to Citadel either! (BTW Red, I'll say hi on Halloween when my son & his cousins are extorting you for candy)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Banned

Good on you for getting some gas money out of the deal. Some people...

When I was looking for a car for the ex's kid, we ran into a pile of idiots. One guy listed a hyundai for $3k, from pics of the entire car the body looked great. Found out that he took pics of someone else's car and used it for his own.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Wisers slow clap is in order.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM

I dont know about this, sorry. Yes, you were misled, but how many times when we buy something used from a stranger are we misled on things that we cant see. We take our chances.
In this case, because you could see the damage and were upset at being misled you intimidated the guy into giving you $20 bucks? You said that he was scared?
I wouldnt be too proud of the way you handled that. I've done my share of things I am not proud of though, first to admit.
kidd
Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
I' phoned a guy about his car after seeing an ad for a Versa in really clean shape. We talked for around 10 minutes, 70k, *mint condition, his moms car, no accidents, damage, dings/dents/ rebuilt? All the usual questions. I Stressed I lived in the Deep South and he's way up in citadel, (50 minutes and 47k to be exact) so he did his best to describe it.

... What he failed to mention we're the golf ball sized hail ALL OVER the car. Something he hid in his pictures, ad, and our conversation.

I lost my cool and tore as strip off him, all the time the guy is apologizing and feels bad about tricking me, bla bla

I drove maybe 6 blocks before I did something I have never done before, I turned around and drove back to his house. Banged on the door, guy answers looking scared as .. .. And I said " I want $20 for my gas money"

He pauses, I Say "look you lied to me, admitted you tried to trick me, and wasted my time and gas, I want $20.

He pulls out his wallet, then STOPS and Changes his mind ! and puts it back!! I told him "ok, just look for the ads I Am about to post with your car and license plate, see how easy it is to sell a car..."

You sound like a cry baby.

I have driven much further for vehicles and have found more damage than the hail. You are buying used.. A used vehicle will never be in MINT shape. you want mint.. go buy new.

You are looking at a 70K vehicle and you are worried about $20.00 in gas? Are you for real?

Sure the guy may have mislead you, but that is life sunshine. Get over it.

You look like a fool coming on here bragging about intimidating a seller over being mislead to and demanding $20.00 for gas money.

Edit: Just realized this was an nissan Versa.. The Econo Box Nissan makes... Not 70K for a purchase price. My bad. No wonder you are hurting for $20.00 in gas money.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Had similar experience with an impala. Lady wanted 3500 a few years back. Was a reasonable asking price if it did not need a pile of front end work.offered her a little over 2000, and she refused. I told her I wasted my time cause her car was in disrepair, .
She didn't waste you time. You liked the car enough to make an offer on it after you inspected it. Did she mislead you before you came? You just lowballed her and were unsuccessful. Not sure what shape you expected a $2000 to $3500 car to be in.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM

I must be getting cranky with old age

I would do the same thing.

Now,'when ppl call me about an item I have for sale and they ask for delivery, I tell them sure. No problem.
But I insist they hop in their car and come check it out first.

No way am I driving 30 km so they can turn the item down when I get there.

If they can't make the effort to drive and check out a large item, I can't be bothered either.

I would have asked for more than $20.
To purposely not mention obvious damage, is misleading.

I would have asked for my hourly rate of pay.

But gas money would work.

As a side note, in March I drove 10 hours one way to check out a truck.
I had talked to the guy for an hour tho and took notes.
The second time I talked to him I double checked his answers.
So I was confident in him and the truck.

I did buy it and I used it to pull my old truck home.

In his honor, I kept the Case IH license plate on the front.

I once described some 10/4 water resistant wire to a guy from westlock.
When we met, I told him that it was as I described and he was happy with it.
But also surprised with the honesty.
I explained to him it was the only way to go.
I said, what if one day I see a big whitetail and I drive into someone's yard to ask permission and it turns out to be a guy who I tried to screw over?

He saw my logic in that.

Maybe the person in the op's post will have learned something about honesty that day.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
She didn't waste you time. You liked the car enough to make an offer on it after you inspected it. Did she mislead you before you came? You just lowballed her and were unsuccessful. Not sure what shape you expected a $2000 to $3500 car to be in.
Maybe I was bit too harsh. But I still say that if she did not misrepresent the item and you still were still interested enough to make an offer, I don't see the foul.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Why buy used buy new or better yet go to dealership. They wont lie to you and they will reimburse your gas money.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I Stressed I lived in the Deep South and he's way up in citadel, (50 minutes and 47k to be exact) so he did his best to describe it...
What he failed to mention we're the golf ball sized hail ALL OVER the car. Something he hid in his pictures, ad, and our conversation.

"look you lied to me, admitted you tried to trick me, and wasted my time and gas, I want $20.

He pulls out his wallet, then STOPS and Changes his mind ! and puts it back!! I told him "ok, just look for the ads I Am about to post with your car and license plate,$20 dollars in hand, I walked away feeling a little better
If 47kms is that important to you,can you at least learn a lesson(an all reading)
to request 4pics of all sides,1 roof view taken no less/more
than 8ft away,then 3interior pics. If this was done,
no one would be reading such threads..this is "always" my system.
for any vechs i am interested in.

Last edited by tri777; 10-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I must be getting cranky with old age

I would do the same thing.

Now,'when ppl call me about an item I have for sale and they ask for delivery, I tell them sure. No problem.
But I insist they hop in their car and come check it out first.

No way am I driving 30 km so they can turn the item down when I get there.

If they can't make the effort to drive and check out a large item, I can't be bothered either.

I would have asked for more than $20.
To purposely not mention obvious damage, is misleading.

I would have asked for my hourly rate of pay.

But gas money would work.

As a side note, in March I drove 10 hours one way to check out a truck.
I had talked to the guy for an hour tho and took notes.
The second time I talked to him I double checked his answers.
So I was confident in him and the truck.

I did buy it and I used it to pull my old truck home.

In his honor, I kept the Case IH license plate on the front.

I once described some 10/4 water resistant wire to a guy from westlock.
When we met, I told him that it was as I described and he was happy with it.
But also surprised with the honesty.
I explained to him it was the only way to go.
I said, what if one day I see a big whitetail and I drive into someone's yard to ask permission and it turns out to be a guy who I tried to screw over?

He saw my logic in that.

Maybe the person in the op's post will have learned something about honesty that day.
It's only 30 km man.. 60 km round trip...

I picked up a boat this summer I drove 1600 kms one way for. It was pretty close to the description. When I got there some other stuff came up about it that I was unaware of/not disclosed . I got a price reduction, picked it up and called it a day.

Demanding compensation for wasting their time is for driving 47 kms is Ludacris. Be a man and move on. No one forced the OP to look at the econo box. Was he mislead. Maybe. Does he look like a classless fool over $20.00. Definitely.

One must have a pretty pathetic and unfulfilling life to find gratification and satisfaction in such primitive and emotional actions.

Keep in mind we are only getting the keyboard hero's side of the story. I would love to see the ad and the correspondence with the seller. I am sure it will tell a different story as to what has happened…

I had a kid and his mom drive from just past stony plain to look at a 98 Civic I was selling. I disclosed everything and sent him pictures of everything including damage. He then told me the pictures looked better than the car it's self and I doctored them.. I took them from my Iphone and texed directly. This punk wanted me to take another $700.00 off the car after we agreed on the price as he felt I wasted his time because he drove all the way and he doesn't have all the money to pay for it. The purchase price we agreed upon was a whopping $1500.00. I told him and his mom to pound sand and get off my driveway. I told them if you want a mint car of this make and model you are looking at around $4,000.00. I also informed them if you cannot afford $1500.00 then you can't afford to maintain it nor afford insurance and registration. In the end they bucked up the $1500.00 and took it that day.

The Kicker is that I offered to pick him up or take the car to him to meet him half way prior to this.

For the record I disclose everything when I am talking to a seller. The good bad and ugly.

EDIT: As for the 1600 km one way trip I was heading that direction anyways. It was only another 330 km one way out of my travel path..

Last edited by NEWB; 10-21-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

I've bought many, many used cars/trucks in my life (last new vehicle was bought in 1974).

I have one line I use all the time that extracts a lot of information:

"Is there anything that will show up on the car when I come over that would cause me not to want to buy it?"

Most people are honest when you press them that way. Like I said, an open ended question like that reveals a lot more information then asking them 20 questions.

And the dishonest ones you just walk away from.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Bahaha.. Come on Guys

I'll get 2 birds stoned at once here

1st. Senior Kidd -"... We take our chances. In this case, because you could see the damage and were upset at being misled you intimidated the guy into giving you $20 bucks? You said that he was scared? I wouldn't be too proud of the way you handled that."

Dad? haha oh wait, just a troll. I was upset at being misled so I decided to teach a lesson in Honesty and Integrity. You weren't there for the conversation I had with him nor do I feel like writing it out for you.

2nd. NEWB Have you ever heard the phrase "Do you know how stupid you sound right now?" perhaps this applies to reading as well. In case it does, I will simply re-post the most moving pieces of your post

"You sound like a cry baby."

"I have driven much further for vehicles and have found more damage than the hail. You are buying used.. A used vehicle will never be in MINT shape. you want mint.. go buy new."

You look like a fool coming on here bragging about intimidating a seller over being mislead to and demanding $20.00 for gas money.
Just realized this was an nissan Versa.. The Econo Box Nissan makes... Not 70K for a purchase price. My bad. No wonder you are hurting for $20.00 in gas money.

Sorry my story went way over your head, thank you though for your feedback.

Just to make sure I have this right I'd like to summarize: I'm a crybaby, you've been screwed over worse, I look like a fool, oh and I'm hurting for $20 cause I'm looking at a Nissan Versa.

Thanks NEWB, if I missed anything feel free to Edit your post again. I don't feel the need to explain my financial situation to you and the fact you would try and make fun of someone that you assume is on hard times is classless.

and to clear it up, a versa is a little hatchback.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'll get 2 birds stoned at once here

1st. Senior Kidd -"... We take our chances. In this case, because you could see the damage and were upset at being misled you intimidated the guy into giving you $20 bucks? You said that he was scared? I wouldn't be too proud of the way you handled that."

Dad? haha oh wait, just a troll. I was upset at being misled so I decided to teach a lesson in Honesty and Integrity. You weren't there for the conversation I had with him nor do I feel like writing it out for you.

2nd. NEWB Have you ever heard the phrase "Do you know how stupid you sound right now?" perhaps this applies to reading as well. In case it does, I will simply re-post the most moving pieces of your post

"You sound like a cry baby."

"I have driven much further for vehicles and have found more damage than the hail. You are buying used.. A used vehicle will never be in MINT shape. you want mint.. go buy new."

Just realized this was an nissan Versa.. The Econo Box Nissan makes... Not 70K for a purchase price. My bad. No wonder you are hurting for $20.00 in gas money.

Sorry my story went way over your head, thank you though for your feedback.

Just to make sure I have this right I'd like to summarize: I'm a crybaby, you've been screwed over worse, I look like a fool, oh and I'm hurting for $20 cause I'm looking at a Nissan Versa.

Thanks NEWB, if I missed anything feel free to Edit your post again. I don't feel the need to explain my financial situation to you and the fact you would try and make fun of someone that you assume is on hard times is classless.

and to clear it up, a versa is a little hatchback.
Thanks Son,

I am well versed with the versa. Not my style of econo box. My neighbour has one...

I don't come on here after lookng at trucks, cars and boats that were misrepresented either intentionally or unintentionally and post about how I intimidated some guy to give me $20.00 for gas money..

You make a trip out of it an learn to ask better questions next time.

Some of the ones I have picked up, others I have left behind. I understand that for some people a used Versa with 70K on the clock is a lot of cash. I get that..

You will come back to this thread in a few days once your anger has cooled are realize what a meathead you appear to be.

You sir are a joke.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Closing this one... obviously
Closed Thread