Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Default First Hunting Video

Hello Gents,

As some of you saw earlier tonight, I planned to post my first hunting video on Vimeo and wanted to make sure I would avoid any copyright issues. Figured maybe some of you would like to see it. Just a little heads up, its not the best quality and by no means do I think its anything spectacular but it is my first time ever editing a video and last year was my first shot at self-filming. For the most part I was using a go-pro (attached to my bow) or a little sony camcorder..didn't have a tree arm rest or anything of that nature. I am truly passionate about hunting and the outdoors and plan to invest in the proper equipment this coming spring as me and a buddy are gonna start taking it pretty serious together. Gonna get rigged up with a campbell camera package Anyhow, hope you enjoy my first attempt at this and definitely would appreciate all feedback! Cheers.

https://vimeo.com/109527428
Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM

Great video man, the sound of leaves crunching underfoot while walking to "the spot" is fantastic.

You are right, that 4x4 gave you the perfect shot - good on you for letting him walk. Looks like you guys have some quality Whitetail bucks around, and they don't get big by harvesting them when they are small.

Sounds like a pretty cool encounter with the 5x4, who knows - you may have spooked him and his does if you decided to reach for your camera, and you wouldn't have had that experience!

Looking forward to your 2014 video, thanks for posting.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM

nice vid , if this was first time at it , looking to see forward to future vids , as this one was good , its to bad that your tag ended up on the x-mas tree , but looking to see your next vid with one of those big guys .

I understand what about you having fun with that buck and his does.

My father was an avid hunter for pretty much his whole life ( he's 83 now ) , and tells me that some of his most enjoyed times out , was having fun with some of the young bucks. He said that when you have had plenty of years hunting , its more fulfilling to just sit back and just watch , just enjoy the great outdoors and what it has to offer.

My father is a very wise man
Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the input Gents!! Really looking forward to updating you guys on how the hunt goes in November and I will be more focussed on getting a big ol whitey for my great uncle so hopefully I can compile some good footage with 3 possible animals to be harvested. Just wondering, did I use too much "self-naration" and try to get more footage of what I am looking at rather than filling the viewers in? Just want to be as real as possible and don't wanna do any "acting" on the camera..thanks for the input so far
Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM

I don't think you narrated too much, but everyone likes different things. Some guys like no music, lots of landscape footage, no kill shots vs kill shots etc. Do what feels right for you, if you like it - that's all that matters! It's a good way to document memories for you, not for guys who you've never met - unless you want to film for a living or a very serious hobby. I'm sure you've heard of Popcan, he's got a lot of great footage and editing skills.

Looks like you hunt some incredible country in the rolling forest. Some stock footy of the trees, sunrises and sets, that kind of footage is good to have if you want to backdrop your text frames.

A bamboo pole works good for a go pro mount, it's already camouflaged and provides pretty stable footage when walking. Or getting long panoramic shots. A light tripod works the same when folded up. Bulky though.

Bottom line is: The footage you accumulate means more to you than anyone else as you were there to experience it. Every time you watch it, you'll remember the scene where that footage came from.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Great job!
No problem with the narration!
RBH
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Great Job..
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Great job - thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Love it. Makes me pumped for getting out again soon. Thanks for posting, and keep us posted!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Good job

Good video, hope you post more!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM

Great job i like it only one thing to try different next time. Unless you wanted the narrow video look.

My Best buddy: