Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Default Pike in Cold Lake area

I've been mainly fishing for lakers in Cold Lake, but it is pretty slow without some kind of electronics. I had my 12 yr old with me on Sunday, which was a really big task getting him to come along. He enjoyed it but was disappointed that we didn't catch anything.
I don't get around the area at all because we moor our boat on Cold Lake and I fish for lakers there all summer.

I would like to go pike fishing using two tip-ups and an ice rod for jigging and would like to know of what lakes in this area are good for pike fishing.
Any info will be very valuable as to keep my son interested while he still is.

Thanks in advance,
BTW I also have a Saskatchewan licence if this helps any...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM

always caught some at marie lake, and there are some huge slobs in there too !
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM

Go to the east end of the lake where the Martineau empties and fish that bay. Lots of pike and some walleye. You might want to check where the Cold River empties as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM

I heard Moose Lake by Bonnyville is producing some decent Pike and a few Walleye. I hope to get there in a few weeks.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
I heard Moose Lake by Bonnyville is producing some decent Pike and a few Walleye. I hope to get there in a few weeks.
i agree with moose lake. franchere is blocked off but i think you can go to pelican point. the provincial park is also a good place to start for pike.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Go to the east end of the lake where the Martineau empties and fish that bay.
How do you access this area? Is there a road to here or do you have to drive over the ice?

Quote:
Moose Lake: the provincial park is also a good place to start for pike.
Never been there, but is the provincial park easy to access? I assume there is a boat launch there also.

It is a great start for us!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/...ion=1&type=Fig
just follow 660 turnoff is on the right after you see the bridge. we had good luck around there in the summer
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Default moose lake

Heading out to moose lake tomorrow Want to be there at first light to try for walleye and then try a few of my old perch spots, Its a 3 hour drive so we'll be leaving early
Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Angling Lake, 50 km,s south of cold lake, 60 kms. north of whitney lakes prov park,
Eccellent pike fishing there, all summer. So i could see it being an eccellent producer in the winter, Entrence is at Beaverdam. A Small town along side it, Dont drill any closer then 40 yds from shore. very shallow. before a shelf then has a fast drop to 20ft.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Ethel, Hilda and Bourque have a boatload of Pike in them. Moore is not bad either. I find Marie not to be a good pike lake at all and very tough to be successful through the ice for most species. There are better lakes around. Wolf would be the best in my mind. Always done well there. I’d also consider Cold Lake itself. There are some huge pike in Cold Lake but a large lake to try and find them.

Moose, Pinehurst, Beaver, Square, Touchwood, La Biche, and Siebert are all excellent but a tad bit further away. Siebert is very challenging through the ice as there is no bait allowed on that lake at any time so that makes it tough. But if you ctacth some they will be of good size.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM

A buddy of mine convinced me to go and try Cold Lake again for lakers; mission successful! We landed 4 out 5 caught. 3 too small, with my biggest being 30", 10lbs. We used a different style of jigging and it worked!

Going to go to Ethel on Monday as someone I talked to said it was good there also for pike. He also said I could try for perch also, right around the dock area.

I found an excellent way to fillet pike with no bones, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-GLr9bTXM
I still want to go to Moose Lake sometime this winter...
Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM

You are situated right on the edge of Meadow Lake park, and there are many good pike lakes in there. Mustus 1 or 2, grieg lake, waterhen, pierce, just a few.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 AM

Dean it's good to hear that your catching some lakers. Don't take your neighbour though, I heard he's bad luck!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM

PHP Code:
Don't take your neighbour though, I heard he's bad luck
Yes, we never catch anything when I go with this guy!