Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Default You never know

I'm not big on posting personal tragedies and woes on the internet, but it's almost midnight and I' m feeling somewhat confused and as they say, confession is good for the soul, a little ****ed as well. Just got back from the Red Deer Hospital where they transported my wife to Calgary with a depression skull fracture and a subdural hematoma. Observation for now, surgery if indicated. Simple little excursion turned into something that could have been a lot worse.
I've always admired her and every who has ever come in contact with her shares those feelings as the toughest woman they have ever met. Inumerable horse injuries, Breast Cancer and reconstruction to follow, more horse injuries, then bilateral knee replacements. Another cracked rib and then this. her main concern was when she could be riding again and to make sure her special horses were looked after. Her Orthopedic even sent someone to check on her. Heard she was there with a hole in her head. Probably the only woman would accompany me on a Grizz hunt.

Son and I had been looking forward to a day trip, put on by a central Alberta rock store, to check out fossils at Ram falls. Wife being who she was, said no way she wasn't going. Three of us and another couple met our guide in Rocky and headed out to that little chasm just south off the main Ram falls. Guide and son head way up the extremely steep bank on the south side and the rest of us work our way up the creek. I decide to check out the north bank, not easy, since the slope is just about fall grade. Climbing stick and waffle stompers in loose shale. Get a way's up and look down to see the other guy in the creek ducking , so I hollered to the guide and son to stop, cause they were knocking rocks onto the people below. Wife and the other couple were working against an outcrop, so I figured everything was hunky dory and went back to doing my thing for a minute or so. Turn around to see the wife down in the creek and the other couple picking her up. figured she must have fallen, but when I worked my way down, found she had been it by a rock knocked down from above and she had a severe laceration of the scalp. Bandages, off to Rocky and then Red Deer, followed by ambulance to Calgary. I'm a firm believer in **** happens, but I believe the guide should have known better and was irresponsible for taking off on what I saw as a personal search and abandoning the rest of the group. More I think of it, the more ****ed I get.

Guess I'll find out in the morning what's happening.

Grizz
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM

Best of luck, that's a tough one.
Thoughts and prayers going out.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Hey all the best man. Prayers for you and your family that everything turns out ok.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Sorry to hear, thoughts and prayer's to your family and especially your wife.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Sorry to hear Grizz.....hoping for the best.

Prayers and thoughts.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Sorry to hear GA. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 AM

That's awful, I hope she recovers well.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Wow...sorry to hear that, Grizz. I know, first-hand, that these kind of experiences can be pretty tough to go through. Hope things turn out fine for your wife; and that you and son are able to manage ok in the meantime.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-24-2013, 12:37 AM

Geeze man that's brutal!

Nearly lost my baby brother a few years back on Indefatigable after I knocked a 20lber loose 100' above. Missed his head by millimeters. I can't even begin to imagine what your son is going through right now...

However, for any broad tough enough to stick it out with you and keep ya in line all these years, today is just another day in the proverbial office.

Thoughts and prayers sent my friend. We're in the NW and only a few short minutes from Foothills. The door is open 24/7 my friend.

Sean
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with ya Grizz. Sounds like you've got a helluva woman.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Stuff

Hey old buddy, hope your misses is feeling better soon. She is indeed one of the toughest gals around . As for the "guide" it seems he should take his job more seriously. Who actually dislodged the rock?

We were at the ice caves a few years ago and I'd insisted that everyone in our group rent climbing helmets. Well we were sitting just outside one of the fissurs and we heard a whistling noise. Then a rock hit the ground and bounced off into space again, never did see the rock it was going so fast. It touched down the first time just beside my best buddy and if it would have hit him he'd be dead sure as hell. I'd think that your guide should have known about helmets.

Hope all goes ok
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM

I don't think it really matters who dislodged the rock (unintentional). Glad it didn't turn out worse, and glad she is getting the care she needs.

Sounds like a good, tough woman there, Grizz. You are all in my thoughts, and best wishes to her for a speedy recovery!

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Sorry to hear Grizz...

Wishin the missus a full an speedy recovery..
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Wow that is terrible, sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best, hope everything turns out alright.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

Thoughts are with you guys! She has good support and is tough do things will turn out good!
If you need anything let me know.
Darcy
Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Sounds like she is very tough, my thoughts are with you guys.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Sorry to hear about it Grizz. I hope everything ends up alright.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

wow, you never know is right. All the best for a speedy recovery!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM

Like you say you never know and wonder why. I have been praying your wife has a full recovery and is soon back with her horses. You have often meantioned your wife in some of your threads and it sounds like you have a good time together. Do not be too hard on the guide as he probably feels very bad and has learned a valuable lesson at your wifes expense. All too often we do something without fully realizing what could happen. I came close to be killed years ago when the lead climber knocked an avalanche of rocks down on my belay. Thinking about it after it was my own fault for setting up the belay in the wrong spot.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

I can only imagine how you must feel right now.
I hope that everything works out for the better.
Thought and prayers.
Godspeed.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Don't waste time being angry. Just concern yourself with your wife. You'll feel better for it.
Sincerely hope all goes well and a speedy recovery. All the best.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

It deeply saddened me to hear about this recent episode of pain and sorrow in your life. No one else but only you can truly gauge the degree of pain that you are going through at this time of your life.

The human was placed on earth to test if he fulfills the commandments of the creator or he falls prey to satan and takes satan as his creator and follows the destructive path shown to him by satan. Men of noble character were sent from time to time as prophets and messengers to remind the mankind that life of this world is short lived and the existence of human is for a reason. Animals and plants and all that is in the earth have been planted therein in perfect balance by the creator so that humans may benefit from it without disrupting this balance.

Every time I hear of an accident or a calamity and see the clouds of gloom wandering over my head, as an individual I try to analyze where I have faltered and transgressed the boundaries set by the creator. Some times the calamity is to warn us and stop us in our tracks and sometimes it is to test if we still remain faithful to the creator and sometimes it is so that we can be rewarded in multiples later on for what we had to endure.

I am not suggesting that you are transgressing the boundaries so you are being punished for your actions. What I am saying is that we should serve the purpose of our existence and which is to be kind, just, honest and caring to all living beings and acknowledge the creator as he rightfully deserves. In doing so the soul gets fathomless contention and happiness that we think is only possible through wealth.

I apologize for hurting anybody’s feelings and beliefs, I felt like presenting my view.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Best wishes for your wife to have a speedy recovery. I am in Red Deer, give me a shout if you need any help.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

All the best for her and you Grizz,she sounds like a pretty tough gal
I am in Calgary if you need a hand with anything.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM

You know what to do... thoughts and prayers to you and yours.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Prayers for a quick and full recovery. Doesnt sound like it was intentional, just dumb luck. I await your update. All the best to your wife, son and yourself Grizz. Sounds like you got a tough gal there.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Sorry to hear about this. It's so hard to see a loved one injured in an "Accident" like this. Nothing but good wishes headed in your direction.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:43 PM

We're all certainly wishing the missus on a speedy recovery. Sure hope things turn out good.

That's some rough country out there. A close friend of my dad's died from a horse fall about 10(ish) years ago out there. This man survived the Pine Lake tornado, only to pass away from a horse doing a backflip on a steep trail in the Ram River area.

Count your blessings and so happy it didn't turn out worse than it did.

Take Care
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Thoughts and prayers your way for a fast and complete recovery.

If there is anything that we can do.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....