Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
So my question is I have a package due to arrive from China on the 31 what should I do handle it with gloves ,hope the trip over killed it ? I will say this one has my tinfoil hat going more than SARS did
Old 01-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Wonder if the mail lady and everyone else minds if their mail smells like Lysol
Old 01-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I just spent 600$ on dry non perishable goods at Costco asked the pharmacy if they had masks and buddy said I'm the 50th person to ask today. Got full fentanyl clean up suits with cartridge masks and lots of ammo. I'm ready to hunker down for 3 months. The show hot zone summarizes what will happen. Suggest you all watch it.
I got our purchaser to order 3 months supply of 3M P100 filters for work, (about $1500 at $10/per) instead of weekly inventory and top ups. She got it confirmed, but they are stopping sales except to certain customers (us). Cheapy N95 masks are sold out and not for sale to public also. We are a billion dollar company, and getting first dibs because of purchasing power. Just fair warning. They have already seen massive demand and running out of stock

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-24-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Funny thing it wicks for my oil lamps how bad I need it might depend on how this thing plays out lol
Kind of has a 'Pandora's box' type vibe to this.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Which pharma company made the vaccine and which elites own stock in said company?
There is no vaccine. There won't be for a long time, probably minimum 1 year. A vaccine after exposure also doesn't happen, if you know how vaccines work. She may have been treated and okay now...?
Best hope is an existing coranova virus vaccine, and I've heard the Ebola vaccine may have potential, with a few tweaks. But creating the supply will not be in time, even so.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 PM

From the same source I posted on the previous page:
38 cases of Wuhan Coronavirus have been cured in China as of Saturday.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Kind of has a 'Pandora's box' type vibe to this.
Thanks for making me feel better .Thinking gloves a zip lock bag and tossing beside the house for a month or so unless we need to open the Pandora's box sooner.I guess maybe I should also stock up on tinfoil .But always been my motto if you are going to panic be the first to panic
Old 01-24-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
From the same source I posted on the previous page:
38 cases of Wuhan Coronavirus have been cured in China as of Saturday.
I would assume cured means didn’t die.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 PM

A statistical analysis and predictive forecast based on the data so far.

An Ro 3.6 - 4.0. 250000 infected by Feb 4 in Wuhan. Other key findings paint a scary picture on the spread of the virus unless they can get it under control.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fz7..._3PmysukL/view
Old 01-24-2020, 10:51 PM

Anyone ever read "The Last Canadian" by William C Heine 1974

Basically this scenario extended to it's natural conclusion.
I read it in 1976 and have been waiting for it to become a reality ever since.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post
I would assume cured means didn’t die.
Not really. It means that these people tested positive when they showed up at hospitals with the flu symptoms and tested negative after a few days/weeks of some kind of treatment. Nothing else, nothing more. Believe it or not, most people, in all likelihood, will survive to live to the next one.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:09 PM

Funny thing Wuhan is where they built a lab a few years ago to experiment with Ebola virus and SARS it’s the only lab in China where these viruses exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
There is no vaccine. There won't be for a long time, probably minimum 1 year. A vaccine after exposure also doesn't happen, if you know how vaccines work. She may have been treated and okay now...?
Best hope is an existing coranova virus vaccine, and I've heard the Ebola vaccine may have potential, with a few tweaks. But creating the supply will not be in time, even so.
The thing is they can probably cure the patients with early intervention using respiratory drugs like steroids and bronchodilators. As well as other treatments.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-24-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedblac View Post
Funny thing Wuhan is where they built a lab a few years ago to experiment with Ebola virus and SARS it’s the only lab in China where these viruses exist

Someone could have brought something home. I really don’t think this virus is natural.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-24-2020, 11:16 PM

It’s strange they think the Ebola vaccine can be adjusted to help

Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Someone could have brought something home. I really don’t think this virus is natural.
I don't think so and you do so it's just a mutual disagreement .

JD
Old 01-25-2020, 02:25 AM

The level of panic over the Wuhan flu is unbelievable. 56,000 people die from influenza yearly. We still largely ignore getting flu shots and think "if I get it, I'll get over it". So much media hype.
If there's one thing that gets attention, it's doomsday anguish. How long before Greta blames the new coronavirus on climate change?
Old 01-25-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
The thing is they can probably cure the patients with early intervention using respiratory drugs like steroids and bronchodilators. As well as other treatments.
That is only treating the symptoms... does nothing to slow the spread of this. Hospitals won't be able to treat everyone soon if it keeps up. Supplies and doctors time will run out. Only way to stop this now is a vaccine.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-25-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot you had all the answers.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
That is only treating the symptoms... does nothing to slow the spread of this. Hospitals won't be able to treat everyone soon if it keeps up. Supplies and doctors time will run out. Only way to stop this now is a vaccine.
Steroids, and inhalers are easy prescriptions to write if all it takes is to keep the lungs clear while the body fights infection. Drink lots of water as well.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Smartest thing you have said in this thread.
Now stop typing keep reading you might learn something,
He knows what he is talking about.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Default And.... x

Quote:
You seem to think your contributions are valid...?

Maybe just read...

Raab.... being a person that had swine flu in 2009... I can tell you, steroids, inhalers, and bronchule dilators are pretty limited in helping if you got it bad.

Deep lung fluid trapping led to pneumonia. And you’d be surprised how many strains of pneumonia seem to be antibiotic resistant....

If you guys are headed for the hills comin my way... bring s’more dynamite for the bridges.... and know the password k?

Oh.... no whiskey... no bridge crossy.....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Maybe just read...

Raab.... being a person that had swine flu in 2009... I can tell you, steroids, inhalers, and bronchule dilators are pretty limited in helping if you got it bad.

Deep lung fluid trapping led to pneumonia. And you’d be surprised how many strains of pneumonia seem to be antibiotic resistant....

If you guys are headed for the hills comin my way... bring s’more dynamite for the bridges.... and know the password k?

While they may be limited, they just need to do enough to keep you alive so you can get through the worst accumulation of fluid in the lungs and help your body beat the disease. Starting to think the 36 year old had an underlying medical condition. All the other deaths have been older people or had underlying conditions like diabetes. It may seem counterintuitive but drinking lots of water will help immensely if it comes here. Your lungs are basically a sponge so the more hydrated they are, the easier they flush. Lots of water also helps flush the infection out of he body.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Wow. Trollers will troll...

True, the majority of deaths have been elderly or weak. Heard a two year old recently died. Everyone is so focused on the death reports. There are many many more, across all ages and perfectly healthy prior, with severe symptoms, and many many more, not diagnosed/reported in the available statistics. The sky is falling due to transmission rate. It's crazy. The social and economic impact will be insane. People won't be leaving their homes, nobody will be going to work and be able to pay their bills, or buy food. It is deeply concerning. SARS was nothing compared to this based on the pattern presented. 3.4% death rate now (which is only reported statistics, which I think are actually much much higher).

Scarier part is that this virus is highly mutagenic, and as it spreads exponentially, the chances of it evolving to something much more deadly increase exponentially as well.
This is only in its infancy. Potential is massive.

Normally I would walk away from a thread like this, where there are a bunch of trollers, and people discrediting my validity of statement. It's such a big deal in my opinion that I am sticking with it. Discredit my opinion if you like, troll away

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-25-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Ok raab

So you don’t need the password then. Good luck man.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Ok raab

Lol
Old 01-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Maybe just read...

H1N1, not fun. I worked at the UofA for a decade. In the summer of 2009 I ended up with a nasty fever/chills and body aches that felt like I took a good beating. I had been working at the UofA farm a fair bit leading up to that. Shortly after I was talking to one of the farm managers and he told me that a few people working on the farm had contacted H1N1 and had been off sick for a week or so. I never did get tested or confirmation of H1N1, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Being that I never get the flu, and seldom even a cold it did take me down more than a notch or two.

For my upcoming trip through Japan/Singapore, I won't be too cavalier and will be following the precautions of the local governments as listed below:

Avoid contact with live animals including poultry and birds, and consumption of raw and undercooked meats;
Avoid crowded places and close contact with people who are unwell or showing symptoms of illness;
Observe good personal hygiene;
Practise frequent hand washing with soap (e.g. before handling food or eating, after going to toilet, or when hands are dirtied by respiratory secretions after coughing or sneezing);
Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms such as a cough or runny nose;
Cover your mouth with a tissue paper when coughing or sneezing, and dispose the soiled tissue paper in the rubbish bin immediately; and
Seek medical attention promptly if you are feeling unwell.

I'll also be wearing a surgical mask on the plane/in the airports during transit. Not only may it help, but it should muffle some of the snoring I hope.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 01-25-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Thats the same treatment that would be used on virtually any case of respiratory failure. Along with CPAP, BIPAP and ventilation it's all just supportive care until the infection hopefully clears. Most of the deaths will probably be from the associated sepsis and organ failure caused by the initial infection. Whether their coronovirus statistics are capturing those deaths from "sepsis", "renal failure", "heart failure", etc. remain to be seen.

Last edited by Scott h; 01-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Ok raab

Not panicked yet, no reason to be. And watch your 6, I’m usually the guy who takes the long way around haha
Old 01-25-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Thats the same treatment that would be used on virtually any case of respiratory failure. Along with CPAP, BIPAP and ventilation it's all just supportive care until the infection hopefully clears. Most of the deaths will probably be from the associated sepsis and organ failure caused by the initial infection. Whether their coronovirus statistics are capturing those deaths from "sepsis", "renal failure", "heart failure", etc. remain to be seen.
The 36 year old was a heart attack due to complications from the disease. The rest seem to have weakened immune systems.