Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Length of Pull-New Stock

How do I figure or measure the length of pull when ordering a new stock online?
I can sit here for hours with a tape measure deciding between 13 1/4" or 13 1/2". I have held several models in the stores and find a compact style off the shelf is a bit more comfortable than standard (standard on Boyds Stock Website is 13 3/4").
Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM

http://gunstockfitter.com/images/lengthofpull.gif

Just measure along the line and your done.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

tie a string around the contact point on your finger for the trigger. now pretend like you're shooting and curve your finger while keeping your arm straight.

now pull the string with your other hand into your elbow pit and subtract 1/2" for your stock length.

or that's how i do it
Old 12-19-2018, 10:01 AM

The old crook of elbow to finger ia a real common recommendation but it is only a very rough approximation. It takes into consideration arm length but does not account for length of neck, thickness of neck, shoulder construction etc.

Take a gun you have now, put it up to your shoulder with your eyes closed and settle at a comfortable spot on the cheek rest when you mount it to your shoulder while standing. Open your eyes but do not adjust your head, have someone measure from the front of your nose to the first knuckle of the thumb on the pistol grip. Repeat this a few times, writing down all measurements. Now measure the LOP of the rifle, being the distance from the but pad to the trigger. The average of the measurements you took should work out to be 2"

I found this from Boyds. Very similar method but perhaps a little easier. One thing to watch, when he talks about the centre of the butt pad and centre of the trigger, he means the up and down centre, not the middle of the pad. You measure to the end of the pad and the front of the trigger shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgIPbzKHWI
Old 12-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The old crook of elbow to finger ia a real common recommendation but it is only a very rough approximation. It takes into consideration arm length but does not account for length of neck, thickness of neck, shoulder construction etc.

Take a gun you have now, put it up to your shoulder with your eyes closed and settle at a comfortable spot on the cheek rest when you mount it to your shoulder while standing. Open your eyes but do not adjust your head, have someone measure from the front of your nose to the first knuckle of the thumb on the pistol grip. Repeat this a few times, writing down all measurements. Now measure the LOP of the rifle, being the distance from the but pad to the trigger. The average of the measurements you took should work out to be 2"

I found this from Boyds. Very similar method but perhaps a little easier. One thing to watch, when he talks about the centre of the butt pad and centre of the trigger, he means the up and down centre, not the middle of the pad. You measure to the end of the pad and the front of the trigger shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgIPbzKHWI
That's the info i'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Banned

Default Re: LOP

I’ve heard that if you shoot a 1/4” shorter LOP you tend to shoot freehand more accurately and manage recoil better. I’m not sure, it was just something I was told by a gun builder.

Normally when you’re hunting in November you’ve got some thick clothing on, that might be something to consider.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’ve heard that if you shoot a 1/4” shorter LOP you tend to shoot freehand more accurately and manage recoil better. I’m not sure, it was just something I was told by a gun builder.

Normally when you’re hunting in November you’ve got some thick clothing on, that might be something to consider.
Heavy clothing is a definite consideration. My primary hunting rifle is 1/2" shorter in pull than it would be for use in a T shirt. I have a 1/2" Limbsaver slip on recoil pad that I put on it for shooting in warm weather, remove it when I have on a heavy hunting coat.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:

On my 6 position stock I've noticed that when I started to shorten it by a click or 2 that I could shoot freehand quicker and more accurately. I'm 6'1 I prefer 13" or shorter now, unless it's for only prone shooting
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:

This why you fit two recoil pads on your rifles.
A 1” pad is set for summer/t-shirt sort of shooting, a 5/8”-1/2” pad for use during the hunting season when you’ll be wearing layers, and heavier clothing.

There are no absolutes