Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Flourocarbon verses regular tippet

The tippet thread made me ask this question. I fish the NSR and trout ponds in and around Edmonton, and get out to Pincher and Canmore area once in awhile. Just recently this Christmas I was introduced to flourocarbon and was told to use it as I go closer to the mountain streams and rivers where the more finicky trout are. Where do you guys use the flourocarbon and why? What about places like Muir?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Mostly use it in lakes. Dont know if it makes much difference but I usually run 4x on big flies and 5x on anything #16 and smaller. Havnt had too many issues fooling fish even in trophy lakes such as police. The good stuff is a little stonger than mono and I like that for keeping/pulling fish out of weeds in late summer...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM

I run RIO's 4x Fluoroclear Plus For ALL of my chironomiding. Its 7lb test and still very thin, catch rate is definitely improved. But for lakes like muir, where i the fish see tons of flies all the time, i always like to be running thin diameter fluorocarbon to my flies, just to give me what feels like an edge, but im sure its just a confidence booster. I also use 8lb fluoro carbon for my heavy nymphing on the bow, the cheaper regular fluorocarbon for spinning reels work just as good. I use the 4x fluoroclear for my hopper dropper rigs too.

I use fluoro for everything but, regular style dry flies that have the habit of sinking on their own. Even Foam Dry Flies i use fluoro. Just added stealth. Fluoro sinks faster then mono, so it can be bad for your regular hackle dry flies, but foam flies, its perfect, it sinks just below the surface, and becomes invisible to the trout.

Another good use for fluoro carbon, is the heavy stuff like 50-60lb stuff for a pike bite guard, fluoro seems to be a little more abrasion resistant then mono, and the added stealth of not dragging around a wire bite leader, is beneficial in my mind. But for the NSR, i usually just use berkley fluorocarbon, in 8lb, seems to do fine for the streamers for the walleye and goldeye that i catch!

Just my experience any ways.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I run RIO's 4x Fluoroclear Plus For ALL of my chironomiding. Its 7lb test and still very thin, catch rate is definitely improved. But for lakes like muir, where i the fish see tons of flies all the time, i always like to be running thin diameter fluorocarbon to my flies, just to give me what feels like an edge, but im sure its just a confidence booster. I also use 8lb fluoro carbon for my heavy nymphing on the bow, the cheaper regular fluorocarbon for spinning reels work just as good. I use the 4x fluoroclear for my hopper dropper rigs too.

I use fluoro for everything but, regular style dry flies that have the habit of sinking on their own. Even Foam Dry Flies i use fluoro. Just added stealth. Fluoro sinks faster then mono, so it can be bad for your regular hackle dry flies, but foam flies, its perfect, it sinks just below the surface, and becomes invisible to the trout.

Another good use for fluoro carbon, is the heavy stuff like 50-60lb stuff for a pike bite guard, fluoro seems to be a little more abrasion resistant then mono, and the added stealth of not dragging around a wire bite leader, is beneficial in my mind. But for the NSR, i usually just use berkley fluorocarbon, in 8lb, seems to do fine for the streamers for the walleye and goldeye that i catch!

Just my experience any ways.
Thanks - too bad it pulls down on your regular dry flies as I was thinking of using this for my dry fly patterns (other than foams). Will have to figure something out. good advice from both of you none the less.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 PM

The index of refraction of fluoro is closer to that of water, making it harder to see. It is also more resilient to nicks and abrasion. I use it for all my nymphing.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Flouro for everything but dry ANYWHERE ANYTIME.

With that said I've used it on dry when the mono ran out and still had success. Will sink a dry quick though so make casts accurate.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM

I use 10lb Fluoro for lake fishing. If they can't see it, why not use as heavy as possible (decreases landing time). Rio Fluoroflex is awesome stuff and you can even get away with using 12lb test most of the time.