Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Default Where to buy tires?

Looking to put new tires on my Ram 1500 with 20"s

I was thinking BFG TAs, what would you buy and where?

I'm in Calgary.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 PM

tirebob
(403)769-1771
Old 08-06-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
tirebob
(403)769-1771
x2. Great guy and a forum sponsor!
Old 08-06-2020, 12:20 PM

X3 if I lived near or in Calgary!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:59 PM

That's what I was hoping for.

Thanks all.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Bob spent quite a bit of time and effort twice answering my questions. Knowing full well i live in Edmonton and he in Airdrie, so chances are slim id get to buy from him.
He is one of the good guys in my opinion. His advice is right on nothing held back. I suspect thats how he deals in person also.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Bob spent quite a bit of time and effort twice answering my questions. Knowing full well i live in Edmonton and he in Airdrie, so chances are slim id get to buy from him.
He is one of the good guys in my opinion. His advice is right on nothing held back. I suspect thats how he deals in person also.

It is how he deals in person too. Dealt with him once when I lived in Calgary, didn't even know he was an AO member when I did. Pure pleasure of a guy to deal with.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:48 PM

Thumbs up There's tirebob, then there's everyone else

tirebob at Urban Expressions in the NE. Great guy to deal with, will treat you fair, and tells it like it is when it comes to all brands of tires.
You won't waste a day waiting for your tires to get done either. He books you in by appointment, you can be in and out in half an hour or so.
Just don't be late for your appointment.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-06-2020, 04:08 PM

And he is known to appreciate fine malt whisky, so a man of refined tastes as well....

nothing to do with tires, that's all been said, so just threw that out there.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-06-2020, 06:05 PM

Tire Bob too.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 PM

TireBob eleventeen.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:32 AM

Never heard of tirebob before.

I was quoted $445 for DuraTracs from Alberta shop.

PMC tire sold them for $375 and shipping is free.

Local or not $70x4=$280.

They also don't charge for balancing, installation IF you buy complete set with rims.(splined wheel nuts were also included free?)

Only extras are Nitrogen, and new TPMS.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
Never heard of tirebob before.

I was quoted $445 for DuraTracs from Alberta shop.

PMC tire sold them for $375 and shipping is free.

Local or not $70x4=$280.

They also don't charge for balancing, installation IF you buy complete set with rims.(splined wheel nuts were also included free?)

Only extras are Nitrogen, and new TPMS.
I noticed the new ones I got a year or two ago did not have the traction they used to have.
Was talking with some guys about it & was told they changed the rubber compound.
Just an FYI
Old 08-07-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I noticed the new ones I got a year or two ago did not have the traction they used to have.
Was talking with some guys about it & was told they changed the rubber compound.
Just an FYI
I will let you know...

It's the best tire I have ever used.

It's quiet.

Seems to handle ice fine.

Is great in snow.

I have had it in mud and it cleans well.

You will have a hard time convincing me of ever running a different tire for 4 seasons...
Old 08-07-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
I will let you know...

It's the best tire I have ever used.

It's quiet.

Seems to handle ice fine.

Is great in snow.

I have had it in mud and it cleans well.

You will have a hard time convincing me of ever running a different tire for 4 seasons...
Same here since they came out.
But noticed a lack of traction in winters now.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post

Bob runs the Prophet River of tire stores. Simply the best.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 AM
AO Sponsor

Well I am humbled yet more than appreciative of all the kind words... Thanks everyone!

As to a comment about the Duratrac changing compounds... That is entirely untrue.

Well... 99% untrue. What happened is that in ONLY ONE single tire size (275/70R18) there apparently was by request of heavy industry where this size is used constantly at the max end of severe weight capacity, they needed a tire with a more durable compound but still retain the benefits of the tread pattern style so Goodyear built one for them.

This is the only tire in the line offered with both that compound as well as the all weather compound. It can be identified differently as it the only one that does not have the 3PMS symbol and it has a load/speed index designation of 125R rather than the same size with the 3PMS symbol which has an index of 125Q.

The problem arises when people get misinformation and do not get the entire picture, or they hear from a guy who heard from a guy (same old story), or even worse when people from within the industry itself who don't quite tell the truth in an attempt to move people out of a product they don't make much money on into a product they do better on and so on. It makes it really tough on not just the consumer, but on guys like me who are constantly fighting an uphill battle to be trusted in world of dishonest business practices.

In the end, no one tire is the right tire for everybody. There are just differences, and how do those differences apply to how you use you own vehicles, fit your budget and suit your needs.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-07-2020, 08:41 AM

If you look at his last response, which is entirely consistent with the high quality advice he has posted on this form for quite a while, it isn't hard to see why we think so highly of Bob.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Same here since they came out.
But noticed a lack of traction in winters now.
Pretty common sir... As a tire grows older in use rubber compounds do grow harder and tread depth drops which will affect performance no doubt. Also, people don't always notice it while it is happening, but different winters are going to affect performance. As an example, if we have a winter where it is mild and not getting severely cold, performance on ice will be different than a winter where we are in a long deep freeze.

We see things often too where a guy had a tire on a small truck, say like a Tacoma, who used a tire and loved them. Then they have now moved up into a Ram 3500 and put the same model tire back on because they were super impressed on their old truck and they find out that it performs completely differently on the new vehicle with how they use it than they did on the old one. They often assume it was the tire that changed but really it was the vehicle that changed and had a greater affect on the performance than the tire itself did.

There are a lot of variables that people don't consider in regards to how a tire is performing outside of the tire itself.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Looking to put new tires on my Ram 1500 with 20"s

I was thinking BFG TAs, what would you buy and where?

I'm in Calgary.

Thanks
Costco?
Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Costco?
A big box VS an AOF member that nobody can say anything bad about.

To me it appears Tirebob deserves my business
Old 08-07-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
A big box VS an AOF member that nobody can say anything bad about.

To me it appears Tirebob deserves my business
Oh yeah for sure, everyday of the week!
Old 08-07-2020, 01:07 PM

If I lived in the Calgary area, I would go with tirebob too lol.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
tirebob
(403)769-1771
Yes
Old 08-07-2020, 04:26 PM

And, if you bring Bob a good bottle of whiskey, you may not get a better price (his prices are already good) and you won't get better service (because his service and experience are already the best), but you may get to have a shot of good whisky with Bob! After business hours, of course.

But so many wins.....if I lived closer, I'd pop in regularly even if I didn't need tires.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-07-2020, 07:16 PM

I have a Ram 1500 with the 20 inch rim. I was going to go with the BFG TA's also, but came across the General Grabber ATW. tread depth 16, LT rated, next to nothing for road noise. Drove on lots of muddy gravel roads and did a bit of deep snow driving on edge of Pigeon lake last winter with no complaints. I made the drive to Calgary from Red Deer to Tire bobs. got a great deal. Went to the Fishin Hole the same day win win for me.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Default How about Edmonton??

Any chance Tirebob has an affiliate in Edmonton? I need some. We 20” tired on my Tundra....
Old 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM

I've lived in Edmonton off and on many times, been here since 2013 this time. Never have I found a good tire shop here. Pretty much stuck with CT, Costco and KAL. To be honest, I pretty much buy where the price is cheapest, for instance KAL are the only vendors of Nokian tires but they put on good sales on them a coule of times a year, CT when they have their big sale and CT cash back deal is way far the cheapest for new Dura-tracs, Costco for car tires and watch them all like a hawk. If there was anyone close to as good as Bob here I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more but to date, nothing even close.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:34 AM

A man would be crazy to ignore the praise for Tirebob.
As others have said, his freely given information is an excellent advantage in making a tire decision.
Bob's price was the best, bar none.

I have an appointment with Bob on Wednesday.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I've lived in Edmonton off and on many times, been here since 2013 this time. Never have I found a good tire shop here. Pretty much stuck with CT, Costco and KAL. To be honest, I pretty much buy where the price is cheapest, for instance KAL are the only vendors of Nokian tires but they put on good sales on them a coule of times a year, CT when they have their big sale and CT cash back deal is way far the cheapest for new Dura-tracs, Costco for car tires and watch them all like a hawk. If there was anyone close to as good as Bob here I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more but to date, nothing even close.
Hey Dean. I’ve had the same experiences, but I have to admit I didn’t know that CT had DuraTrac tires for such a good price. Any idea when the CT sales happen??