Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 01:23 PM

Default Budget minded tents?

Good day,
I'm in the market for a couple 3 person tents. And unfortunately, cost is a big factor right now. I just can't spend $600-$1000+ on a couple better quality ones.
Kind of looking at these coleman ones. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...5066p.html#srp

They seem to be rated alright, the only complaints seem to be the zippers. And there's only a few complaints at all.
Car camping, so weight doesn't matter.
Heading out next week with the family for the first time in 7 years, so I'd like to avoid serious issues...
Thanks in advance, and any suggestions will be looked at.
Ken
Old 08-07-2020, 01:31 PM

I had a huuuuuge 10-person Coleman tent about 10 years ago and used it many times with no issues.

The zippers will be a weak point on all less-expensive tents, so take it easy on them and you should be happy.

Enjoy!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 08-07-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Good day,
I'm in the market for a couple 3 person tents. And unfortunately, cost is a big factor right now. I just can't spend $600-$1000+ on a couple better quality ones.
Kind of looking at these coleman ones. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...5066p.html#srp

They seem to be rated alright, the only complaints seem to be the zippers. And there's only a few complaints at all.
Heading out next week with the family for the first time in 7 years, so I'd like to avoid serious issues...
Ken
Ok not sure if you are looking for this but I have a Coleman 14x10 Galileo Domed tent. It says it sleeps 6. It is brand new still in it's original case. Never used. If you pm me and your cell number I can text you some pic's. Will take $50 for it. Like I said never used still in box and carry case. I will look in motor home cause I might have another smaller size one.

Nope guess I gave the other one away.

Last edited by barbless; 08-07-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Good day,

Ken
Where in North western alberta.? I'm in gp and have a few tents you could just borrow. Options are floorless tipi sleeps 3 adults. Large 8 man two room typical tent. And a few 2 man tents of different style. By borrowing you can decide if it's something you will repeat as a family without spending money. If it turns out great then you can set aside some cash for something that will fit your need.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:48 PM

Why do you want 2, 3 man tents?
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-07-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Thanks.

Thank you for the kind offers and info.
I've purchased a couple coleman tents that are on for a decent price.
And we need 2 tents because we have 3 teenagers.
My daughter and her friend are using a old but good pup tent, but I need a big one for my sons, who are both over 6'3" and big framed.
And my wife and I don't want to be crowded in our tent.
Again,
Thanks for the support.
Ken