Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Big Trout in Dickson Trout Pond?

Hey how's it going? I have a curious question for anyone who might be able to answer it. my buddy and I were out fishing on the Dickson trout pond back in early January. we have finally figured out how to catch the trout out of there. but about 90% of the ones we catch are around 6-8 inches long. got a couple that were 13-15 inches. but for the most part we catch the little guys or suckers.

the last time we were out we both hooked something big. I have my rods set up one with 4lb fluorocarbon and the other with 6lb mono. this fish hit my rod first and just snapped my 4lb fluoro like nothing. didn't even have anytime to react. felt a big tug then the line snapped within a matter of a second or 2. didn't even get the rod out of the holder. and then about 15min later I had the exact same thing happen with 6lb mono just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to possibly hook this monster (if that's what it is and not a beaver).

I've been told to use the lower lb test line because of how easily the trout can see the bigger lines. but from what I have experienced out there I might need heavier test line? if anyone can offer some advice on this. or some tips/tricks to get the bigger ones. it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer. feel free to pm me