Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Default Pulling With The Ford 3.5L Ecoboost.

I'm updating my 08 F350. I've been thinking of getting a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I pull a 2500lbs boat every weekend. I also pull a few times a year a 22ft fifth wheel. Not long hauls 2 hours max. A few times a year I pull my fifth wheel and boat at the same time. I know I wouldn't be able to do this with a F150 so I would have to make 2 trips. A f350 would be nice, but if I can pull a single load with a f150 with no problems I might go smaller.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:45 AM

The engine will pull it no problem your challenge will be the truck and GV weight. Look carefully as there is a whole list of different truck configurations and weight limits on the Eco boost. Some are for grocery getters and some for real world towing. I know in the past the better towing models were hard to find on the lots but not sure how the inventory is these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
I'm updating my 08 F350. I've been thinking of getting a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I pull a 2500lbs boat every weekend. I also pull a few times a year a 22ft fifth wheel. Not long hauls 2 hours max. A few times a year I pull my fifth wheel and boat at the same time. I know I wouldn't be able to do this with a F150 so I would have to make 2 trips. A f350 would be nice, but if I can pull a single load with a f150 with no problems I might go smaller.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
The engine will pull it no problem your challenge will be the truck and GV weight. Look carefully as there is a whole list of different truck configurations and weight limits on the Eco boost. Some are for grocery getters and some for real world towing. I know in the past the better towing models were hard to find on the lots but not sure how the inventory is these days.
Yes even to have the right sized tires.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 AM

I have a 2013 FX4 model. I ordered it with the tow package heavy duty rear end for towing. It will pull no problem but it is thirsty when towing. Fuel economy goes from 10.5L per 100km to 28km per 100km. I to around 10% of the time according to the odometer. The truck ha held up great so far. 335000km so far and I have only done brakes and services to the truck.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 AM

I did a search on here and there seams to be one issue with it. Sounds like the fuel economy is not good when your pulling. The money you would save on fuel, in a diesel, would pay for the 15 liter oil change diesels need every 7500km.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I did a search on here and there seams to be one issue with it. Sounds like the fuel economy is not good when your pulling. The money you would save on fuel, in a diesel, would pay for the 15 liter oil change diesels need every 7500km.
That still doesn’t help much with the 8000$ premium for the Diesel engine in a heavy duty. You could wait until the new 3.0 power stroke starts coming in this year. Then you could have a smaller truck and a diesel if that’s what suits you. I’m looking for a new truck this year and am waiting to see for that exact thing.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
That still doesn’t help much with the 8000$ premium for the Diesel engine in a heavy duty. You could wait until the new 3.0 power stroke starts coming in this year. Then you could have a smaller truck and a diesel if that’s what suits you. I’m looking for a new truck this year and am waiting to see for that exact thing.
$9950 in Canada.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
$9950 in Canada.
For the 3.0 or the 6.7?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 AM

As I have found out, do the math yourself for the vehicle you are looking at. Not knowing age or brand, most 5th wheels are heavy on the hitch. This counts toward your max payload of the truck, add to that the hitch mounted in the bed. Anything in the truck ( passengers are 300 lbs - just don’t tell the wife) . Just that puts most 5 th wheels over on 1/2 trucks.

I have a 28’ travel trailer, that when we bought as “newbs” the sales people and the the truck numbers from Dodge were good. Which is true on paper if your on flat ground, the is no wind, the wife is bringing a second vehicle with all supplies and you have 4 miles to stop A little exaggeration. The fuel economy does go out the window.

Long story short do some reading and do the math, don’t just run with the numbers you see on TV or ads.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Above and look for one with towing mirrors.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I have a 2013 F150. We ordered it from the factory with the tow package. If memory serves me it's rated to pull 10,000 or a little over that.

I have 24' trailer that loaded weighs about 9000 lbs give or take a bit depending on how many clothes my wife packs. I put 8500 km's on it in June of 2016 when we went down to Oregon then over to Mt Rushmore and back up here to Northern, AB. I do a yearly trip to Portland, OR with that trailer to see my daughter and grandson that encompasses between 3000 and 4000 km's.

I've done the trip with a V8 (F150) and the new boosted 6 cylinder. Both pulled the 24' trailer beautifully and I've been through the Rockies and up the Coquihalla a few times so it's had to work hard on quite a few occasions.

FWIW, my 16' boat pulls like it's not even there and barely bumps the mileage up 1 liter per 100 km (if that).

Here's my advice..............If you're going to haul a trailer a lot, go with the V8 or get an F250/350. If like me, you do 80-90% of your driving without a trailer, then the V6 is a good choice as you get great gas mileage running empty. It definitely uses a lot more with a load than empty but then so does a V8. The difference between empty and loaded mileage is bigger on the V6 (ergo my advice).
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 03-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Dont forget that 10k lbs is a mark for licence issues and fuel ratings. If they stay below rates ad small truck over 10k moves them up with the big boys. Especially the half and 3/4 tons just a game they play to hit the mark.