Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Where's Hot

Any southern waters producing at the moment?

CVR: Last few trips here have been painfully slow. Looking for some action!

Travers: Will probably end up here, but am hearing that the access road to the spillway is locked/out of action. Is that true?

PCR: Never fished here. My understanding is that usually the action is more consistent here, but the fish are a bit smaller. Although, did I read that this week it was slow slow slow?

Mostly looking for snakes and eyes! Not asking for your personal honey holes - just some idea of where might be worth spending the day

Any tips appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Who's whiney now?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Who's whiney now?
Whiney?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Whiney may be a stretch, but it's funny that you call a guy whiney, when that other guy is willing to share tips and locations. Talk about biting that hand that feeds you.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Ive fished about 6 or 7 lakes the last week and all have been slow, if PCR is slow, you know its slow!!!!! too many weather changes back to back lately

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm not asking for your, or anyones elses life story. Just a simple "IT'S DEAD!" or 'IT'S HOT!". Where's Safety D when you need him.

It's like a school playground in here at times.

I just want to fish.

Last edited by Photoplex; 02-04-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ive fished about 6 or 7 lakes the last week and all have been slow, if PCR is slow, you know its slow!!!!! too many weather changes back to back lately
I was worried that may be the case

Guess any place is as good/bad as the next then! Do you know if Lakers are as sensitive to barometric pressure changes as walleyes? Just thinking that they're so deep that maybe they're more consistent?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM

all fish are sensitive to it its just a matter how sensitive not as much because there in deeper water
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
all fish are sensitive to it its just a matter how sensitive not as much because there in deeper water
Hmmm, I wonder if my first visit to Chain may be in order this weekend
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM

hmm mabe trout shoul be near the weeds now so id use shrimp to match the forage
Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
hmm mabe trout shoul be near the weeds now so id use shrimp to match the forage
How do you present those guys? Whole shrimp? Fed through the body with the hook sticking out of the back? (like a plastic jig tail?)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM

i dont use real shrimp i use that forage shrimp by northland in pnk,dark green and glasss, make ure yu drop some weitghs and stir up bottom first then drop it down i donno how to present real shrimp lol but with the fake onesa pulsing action up to 2 feet off bottom then settle down watch real shrimp on camra and mimic them good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 PM

i know full well the edited post was directed at me...and thats fine...im so old ive been insulted in every way possible
BUT i will say.
At some point you have to stop riding the short bus for free and step up to the drivers seat. I agree its great to get info free, i ask for access updates on certain far away lakes. If you really JUST WANT TO FISH....go fishing and give everyone a report. If you choose not to give a report thats fine also but dont post LAKE X if its a secret then its a secret but why tease everyone like a high school girl. If you want to keep it a secret all the power to you thats your right!
Many times we decide to go fishing to a body of water to just find out what we can learn...no tips..bad tips...we go because thats the process to being a good fisherman.

I have 7 friends from as far away as North Dakota fishing here right now they are on day 5 of fishing....small break for a wedding and then 4 more days of fishing.

travers has been good for the am bite for walleyes...ice travel has been reasonable....some ling also. marking alot of whitefish at mid depth.
sonar and depth contour is vital. jumbo minnows on a mooselook attractor

little bow res. ling and walleye bite is good...with the am bite being very good...fish on the hard flats....evening bite is non exsistant...jumbo minnows on a split shot rig tapping bottom on a windlass out fished any rod presentation

CVR...the sunken rock bars have been good with a small window am bite and then the fish go dormant till sunset , lots of good size walleye....phoebe and jumbo.

good luck fishing everyone
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i know full well the edited post was directed at me...and thats fine...im so old ive been insulted in every way possible
BUT i will say.
At some point you have to stop riding the short bus for free and step up to the drivers seat. I agree its great to get info free, i ask for access updates on certain far away lakes. If you really JUST WANT TO FISH....go fishing and give everyone a report. If you choose not to give a report thats fine also but dont post LAKE X if its a secret then its a secret but why tease everyone like a high school girl. If you want to keep it a secret all the power to you thats your right!
Many times we decide to go fishing to a body of water to just find out what we can learn...no tips..bad tips...we go because thats the process to being a good fisherman.

I have 7 friends from as far away as North Dakota fishing here right now they are on day 5 of fishing....small break for a wedding and then 4 more days of fishing.

travers has been good for the am bite for walleyes...ice travel has been reasonable....some ling also. marking alot of whitefish at mid depth.
sonar and depth contour is vital. jumbo minnows on a mooselook attractor

little bow res. ling and walleye bite is good...with the am bite being very good...fish on the hard flats....evening bite is non exsistant...jumbo minnows on a split shot rig tapping bottom on a windlass out fished any rod presentation

CVR...the sunken rock bars have been good with a small window am bite and then the fish go dormant till sunset , lots of good size walleye....phoebe and jumbo.

good luck fishing everyone
Input much appreciated, as it always has been CD. Misunderstandings aside, I have never questioned your input or knowledge.

As for this thread, when I do get out on the ice (which isn't frequently due to work commitments and health problems) I come here and let people know what I figured out that day. It's usually not of much use to the regulars here because I'm still relatively green after a 20 year break from fishing.

When I create a thread like this, it's not just for me you know. It's for everyone. There's a lot of people here, like me, that only get to fish occasionally. We don't all have the luxury of fishing many times a week, so when we do get a chance to get out on the water we want to try and give ourself and friends and family, the best chances of making it a memorable day. It makes sense to ask around.

Again, thanks for the reports - past, present, future.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 PM

for newer people anyways lol
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
hunter49

What is this forum coming to? This is pathetic...
Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
What is this forum coming to? This is pathetic...
Pathetic?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM

The forum has come to a place where its all about bitching and moaning because someone doesn't hold a fish right or doesn't give everyone information. Everything said and every picture shown gets picked apart.

Nate
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
Input much appreciated, as it always has been CD. Misunderstandings aside, I have never questioned your input or knowledge.

As for this thread, when I do get out on the ice (which isn't frequently due to work commitments and health problems) I come here and let people know what I figured out that day. It's usually not of much use to the regulars here because I'm still relatively green after a 20 year break from fishing.

When I create a thread like this, it's not just for me you know. It's for everyone. There's a lot of people here, like me, that only get to fish occasionally. We don't all have the luxury of fishing many times a week, so when we do get a chance to get out on the water we want to try and give ourself and friends and family, the best chances of making it a memorable day. It makes sense to ask around.

Again, thanks for the reports - past, present, future.
I fully understand....but jump in the time machine and go back 40 years....we had no internet the best we had was a party line telephone.....snow was deeper..winter was colder..lol blah blah i had to walk 10 miles to school..lol....we still went fishing....why because it was gratifying to learn and be the best at it we could be...and yes back then to eat fish also!!!
Im old now and its up to you younger guys in a few years post a 40 year tips thread....the best lessons learned are the ones you discover yourself.
im not picking on you but the only way to learn it just get at it and do it....and the tough days teach me more than the good days. Anyone can go and catch fish when a lake is suicidal.....but if one waits for that to happen and be informed by the internet your in for a disappointing fishing career on the the ice. I dont want this to sound like a chest puff...but i have alot of comfort knowing i have enough hours in, that when the fishing gets tough i have a get tougher plan.....and that comes from Just Going Fishing and dealing with whatever presents itself.

good luck fishing
Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The forum has come to a place where its all about bitching and moaning because someone doesn't hold a fish right or doesn't give everyone information. Everything said and every picture shown gets picked apart.

Nate
Ya from what I've seen so far there are a lot of people out there that just like to complain and be miserable. I'm fairly new to the forum and am already annoyed with all the people that think they know it all and are better than everyone else. Especailly when it comes to pictures. I love seeing posted pics of big fish and if the guy says its 5, 10, 15 lbs.... good for them. No need to call them liars just because you're jealous of the fish...
Enjoy fishing, help others out, lets all just get along
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Maybe some people post lake X because of the freeloaders who read the forum without joining, and no input, then proceed to rape and pillage every lake mentioned until there is nothing left. some people just like to read the stories and enjoy the pictures of other peoples experiences. I fish one of those lakes, in the summer I almost always have the lake to myself, but in the winter people come from miles around to keep and kill every fish they catch, legal or not. I have no problem taking people there to fish, but to post it for everyone who reads this forum, not a chance.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Maybe some people post lake X because of the freeloaders who read the forum without joining, and no input, then proceed to rape and pillage every lake mentioned until there is nothing left. some people just like to read the stories and enjoy the pictures of other peoples experiences. I fish one of those lakes, in the summer I almost always have the lake to myself, but in the winter people come from miles around to keep and kill every fish they catch, legal or not. I have no problem taking people there to fish, but to post it for everyone who reads this forum, not a chance.
hahahahahah...so to use your own words.....so what,the rest of us have to guess.

its all good WC...i understand your point.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM

sounds like everyone needs some fresh air.....got a plan. hit the ice somewhere tomorrow. fish. if you catch some, bonus. if you don't catch and you figure you haven't had a "memorable day" maybe you're not a sportsman and should find other ways to waste your spare time. any day afield or on the water is a memorable one for myself and the boys i roll with. oh yeah and if you do find success out there, be sure to report back here tomorrow. ha.

Dace.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM

wife was watching american idol for good giggle
i'll tell you whats HOT
jennifer lopez in that outfit last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM

You guys know you can choose not to read and post right?

Man, gone to TO for a week and this place has kinda blown up. I thought the photoplex was very nice and grateful to CD and his tips, where did it all go wrong?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
You guys know you can choose not to read and post right?

Man, gone to TO for a week and this place has kinda blown up. I thought the photoplex was very nice and grateful to CD and his tips, where did it all go wrong?
its all cool stang. like i said the boys just need some fresh air.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Chubby the wise old owl. How many points on your crown? Don't sit on it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 AM

hijacked thread.........