Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Your Favourite Canadian Fishing Destination?

I'm getting started thinking about this way too early, but in two months or so, I'll have to fight everyone higher up the totem pole at work for vacation time, so I'm starting to look into options.

I'm planning to take myself and the boyfriend out on an honest-to-goodness fishing trip this year. We go out camping, or traveling, every year, but thus far it hasn't been a "fishing trip", it's been a trip where we go somewhere, and just incidentally fish whatever water happens to be nearby. I'm not particularly picky, but I'd like to get away somewhere. The only place the boyfriend ever thinks of when the word fishing is mentioned is the Lac La Biche area. His family grew up there, and a family friend is a fishing guide. We're definately heading out there at some point, but for the yearly trip, I think maybe something further from home is in order, be that northern alberta, or one of the oceans.

I'm tempted by heading either to the pacific or atlantic, since I'd love to see some new species of fish. But Manitoba IS full of lakes. I'm also tempted by some of the more isolated northern alberta resorts/lakes.

I mostly spincast, but I've recently learned to flyfish. I'd be willing to go either way, so long as the flyfishing guide was okay with the fact that on any given cast I'm 200% more likely to catch myself than a fish. I'm also not really dedicated to pursuing any one type of fish either. This makes it so much harder to pick a spot!

I want to know what some of your favourite fishing lodges/destinations are. There are tons all over Canada, and I'm trying to narrow down my options a bit. My google-fu needs a starting point. I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere in the country, just for fun.

Have you had any good experiences travel-fishing in Canada?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Salmon fishing in Northern BC.
Hit the QCI or Prince Rupert.
Actually the drive to Rupert though long could be very enjoyable if you were camping and fresh water fishing along the way.

As for lodges, anything by Oak Bay is a good call, but if it is your first time, I would highly recomend a fully guided experiance and dont do the "DAY TRIPPER" thing.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM

White Sturgeon on the Fraser River @ Chilliwack. Once you hook into one -------------fishing will never be the same.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Fishing Trip

Cat's on the Red. Lockport MB. Or Loutit Lake Mikisew Sport Fishing North Eastern Alberta.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Going to Athabasca for sure in July, then to Battle giants in the Fraser in mid August. Nothing else matters after doing those 2 trips !!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Going to Athabasca for sure in July, then to Battle giants in the Fraser in mid August. Nothing else matters after doing those 2 trips !!!!!
I hope the fishin is not DEAD.
Sorry Safety D, I could not resist. Catch a monster down there and up there.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM

The only thing that is dead is your arms at the end of the day. your funny
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Safety D post your photos from the fraser when you get back.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Ive already been there 6 times. I got lots of photos but am not putting them on this board. Biggest 7 feet 7 inches. I'm dialed in know that river well now !!! Been fishing it since 1999.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Ive already been there 6 times. I got lots of photos but am not putting them on this board. Biggest 7 feet 7 inches. I'm dialed in know that river well now !!! Been fishing it since 1999.
Email me a photo.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 PM

PM me
Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Default Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejet View Post
White Sturgeon on the Fraser River @ Chilliwack. Once you hook into one -------------fishing will never be the same.
X 100 it is amazing fishing these dinosaurs. We fished in mission with STS Guiding services. Awesome trip, doing it again this summer. My biggest was 5'10" and my wifes biggest was 5' 8" I can't wait to get a hold of the 11' footer out there. And she was 4 months prego and it was her idea. I love her!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Grand River - Ontario (steelhead)
Thompson River - BC - (steelhead)
Algonquin park - Ontario (brook trout)

The name of game is finding new water and exploring it. What is the best destination today can be a boring place next year.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM

My local pothole lake because it's close and I have fun there..
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 AM

Big River SK
Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

It's on a NEED TO KNOW basis. LOL
Any lake I can relax on.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM

12 miles North and 6 West of here.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default Langara

We go to Langara Island Lodge every year. This coming year will be the 18th trip!! Fantastic Lodge and fishing!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
X 100 it is amazing fishing these dinosaurs. We fished in mission with STS Guiding services. Awesome trip, doing it again this summer. My biggest was 5'10" and my wifes biggest was 5' 8" I can't wait to get a hold of the 11' footer out there. And she was 4 months prego and it was her idea. I love her!!!
My wife hooked up with 84" last trip, I have to keep going back untill I beat hers
Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

The Chilliwack/Fraser River Sturgeon seems to be winning on sheer number of votes.

I'm sorely tempted. It's doubly tempting since I've got about 20 people egging me on in regards to running a half-marathon in Vancouver this May.

I can't help but think I could spend the week before the race out relaxing and catching fish in the Fraser, before heading into the big city to race. I'm tempted.

I'll look into making things happen. Of course, as mentioned in my first post, this will all hinge on beating out my co-workers for the appropriate vacation weeks in May.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Home town waters of Tobin Lake , Athapapuskow for B I G lakers and the good old NSR for sturgeon. Wish I could find the time / money for the Fraser , maybe when the kids are bigger.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM

columbia river B.C.( i prefer the columbia on the stateside but title says canuck destination
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM

i play the song Nothing Else Matters by Metallica after battling giant whites. After a day out for geons you will know what I am talking about!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Pry at him, figure out what he wants. If he wants to stray from home, go pacific I say. Aside from fishing, west is best all round! I think the forum here is gonna make it harder for you to decide!
My 2 sense.
Have fun!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Arctic Pacific lakes just north of prince george bc. Seclusion beyond anything else and world class fishing.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 PM

I've been to Canada 5 times fishing and each time was at the same placs. Lac Seul in Ontario.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
I've been to Canada 5 times fishing and each time was at the same placs. Lac Seul in Ontario.
Now thats gods country
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM

X 2 On the Manitoba trip , go to Lockport for Monster cat fish if you go late august early to mid september youll get into some big Walleye aswell . You can also get a guide as they are licensed to take you around to area lakes that have small mouth bass .

Emagine hooking into one of these .

Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Lockport, Manitoba... for cats, carp, Greenbacks, sauger and goldeye (lots of other species not mentioned). Also do like a quick drive to the La Salle spillway for bluegills... In the past two to three years, i rarely fish in Alberta anymore. Think I wet a line so far in 2010 in Alberta twice.... last year 4 times max.

Might start flyfishing again around Alberta, but thats a Might ....
Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 AM

trinity bay newfoundland in late august,where the cod is so thick you can walk on them,,plus 8 foot blue tip sharks r in the bay ya mite get lucky, may get to see 80 foot humpback whales,can't beat the taste of fresh atlantic cod ,if u like sea food go to the rock u won't be disappointed .

Tags
canada, destination, fishing, travel