Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I would really like to know the rational behind that?
It allows one guide to have two hunters at separate stands, more profit for the outfitter. A hunter shot a grizzly bear by mistake several years ago in the Fort McMurray area several years ago, because he couldn't tell the difference, and there was no guide with him.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It allows one guide to have two hunters at separate stands, more profit for the outfitter. A hunter shot a grizzly bear by mistake several years ago in the Fort McMurray area several years ago, because he couldn't tell the difference, and there was no guide with him.
Makes sense, the hunter host regs seem to be more about restricting volume of hunters and supporting business than ensuring supervision or anything else. Not saying that is a good or bad thing.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM

What if you say you were hunting rabbit ? No licence required
Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
You are right about the sour grape. You see, what ****es me off the most is that I see people breaking the law everyday where I hunt. People shooting from vehicles, trespassing, shooting deer directly towards a house. And all these guys don’t get anything. I’m the kind of guy who sit in a blind all day at -20 and try to follow every rule out there, get permissions, I even lock my firearm as soon as I get in my vehicle to avoid any trouble. But in the end, the only thing that matters to these super troopers is their quota. Yea that’s right, all they want is to bring as many people as they can to court to justify their jobs. That’s the thing I have trouble with.
lol dude... You literally knowingly broke the rules/law. It is YOUR fault and no one else's. You got lazy and decided to take a shortcut and got caught, what's the big deal? Be an adult and move on, it is literally your fault and you admitted to it. As for the countless acts of poaching you seem to witness, I sure hope you report them otherwise how are F&W supposed to press charges? They can't be everywhere at once.

You know what? I get lazy too, sometimes I don't wear my seat belt on short distances, I won't to turn my blinker on when I'm alone on back roads or sometimes I go a little over the speed limit. If I were to get caught, which I have, I would simply shut up, take the ticket and move on with my life because I know in the end, that it was MY FAULT!

Also, I love how a lot of you are trying to "bend" the rules to avoid poaching charges or to pretend he was hunting other games that don't require a license... WTF
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
lol dude... You literally knowingly broke the rules/law. It is YOUR fault and no one else's. You got lazy and decided to take a shortcut and got caught, what's the big deal? Be an adult and move on, it is literally your fault and you admitted to it. As for the countless acts of poaching you seem to witness, I sure hope you report them otherwise how are F&W supposed to press charges? They can't be everywhere at once.

You know what? I get lazy too, sometimes I don't wear my seat belt on short distances, I won't to turn my blinker on when I'm alone on back roads or sometimes I go a little over the speed limit. If I were to get caught, which I have, I would simply shut up, take the ticket and move on with my life because I know in the end, that it was MY FAULT!

Also, I love how a lot of you are trying to "bend" the rules to avoid poaching charges or to pretend he was hunting other games that don't require a license... WTF
I would of gladly took a ticket and moved on bud, but they didn’t want to give me a fine.They seized my dad’s weapon , and they told me, see you in court.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I would of gladly took a ticket and moved on bud, but they didn’t want to give me a fine.They seized my dad’s weapon , and they told me, see you in court.
I agree with you. The penalty and indignation to you and your father seemed really harsh in my opinion.

A little more humanity in policing can really go a long way sometimes. I hope that you are able to hunt with your dad again someday, and have much better memories to share.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I agree with you. The penalty and indignation to you and your father seemed really harsh in my opinion.

A little more humanity in policing can really go a long way sometimes. I hope that you are able to hunt with your dad again someday, and have much better memories to share.
Then again we weren't present to observe the behavior of all parties involved. That sometimes is a huge factor in the final outcome.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
You are right about the sour grape. You see, what ****es me off the most is that I see people breaking the law everyday where I hunt. People shooting from vehicles, trespassing, shooting deer directly towards a house. And all these guys don’t get anything. I’m the kind of guy who sit in a blind all day at -20 and try to follow every rule out there, get permissions, I even lock my firearm as soon as I get in my vehicle to avoid any trouble. But in the end, the only thing that matters to these super troopers is their quota. Yea that’s right, all they want is to bring as many people as they can to court to justify their jobs. That’s the thing I have trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post

Woooow.

First of all, Scruffy has it right. If you’re witnessing poaching and people breaking the law, and you choose to not report it- then you are also part of the problem. Be part of the solution or just keep quiet and try to sleep at night.

Secondly, if you think that the F&W officers are just filling quotas, and you are sour that you got caught, you don’t sound like as ethical of a hunter as you make yourself out to be IMO. They have a tough job to do. If you don’t want to help them fill quotas then don’t break the law lol. Also don’t buy licenses and tags and be a hunter, which in turn helps pay their salaraies.

We all make mistakes. And sometimes we get caught. Getting caught usually makes sure we don’t make the same mistake. If we don’t get caught, it’s on us to Right our own wrongs and quite frankly most people will shrug it off and consider themselves lucky- then reoffend. Take your medicine, learn your lesson, move on. It’s all part of being a grown up.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Well said well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Quote:

There seems to be a lot of get caught, whine, attempt to lay blame instead of being responsible and owning up to your mistakes......peoplekind

Woooow.

First of all, Scruffy has it right. If you’re witnessing poaching and people breaking the law, and you choose to not report it- then you are also part of the problem. Be part of the solution or just keep quiet and try to sleep at night.

Secondly, if you think that the F&W officers are just filling quotas, and you are sour that you got caught, you don’t sound like as ethical of a hunter as you make yourself out to be IMO. They have a tough job to do. If you don’t want to help them fill quotas then don’t break the law lol. Also don’t buy licenses and tags and be a hunter, which in turn helps pay their salaraies.

We all make mistakes. And sometimes we get caught. Getting caught usually makes sure we don’t make the same mistake. If we don’t get caught, it’s on us to Right our own wrongs and quite frankly most people will shrug it off and consider themselves lucky- then reoffend. Take your medicine, learn your lesson, move on. It’s all part of being a grown up.

Bang on!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post

Finally! Someone with common sens. As for my dad, he won’t come back here to hunt with me.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Quote:

Woooow.

Yes we make mistakes, we break the rules. I can take a hit trust me. But is it really reasonable to bring someone to court, seize their weapon. Try to take their hunting rights for 2 years, try to fine them 3000$ only because I let my dad driving the truck to the other side of the damn field and let him walk to his blind by himself? God damn, you guys talk like I’m the worst human being on earth.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

everyone seemed so supportive of the self admitted poacher in the original post... where did all the friendliness and understanding go?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That's it....we need the F&W side of this......until then.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Has anyone ever noticed that it is always the same type of people who are picket on by LEO/ F&W ect?

I have even had to listen to one fellow tell me about how the cops target him and have given him 2 DUI's and many speeding tickets because they are just trying to 'Make quota'.

The only time I have ever been 'Targeted' was when I was speeding, kind of brought that on myself.

I myself am glad that these people do the job they are paid to do...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes we make mistakes, we break the rules. I can take a hit trust me. But is it really reasonable to bring someone to court, seize their weapon. Try to take their hunting rights for 2 years, try to fine them 3000$ only because I let my dad driving the truck to the other side of the damn field and let him walk to his blind by himself? God damn, you guys talk like I’m the worst human being on earth.
Is it normal for fishing and hunting offences to be issued a court appearance, I thought so
Old 11-17-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Poor me, I screwed up and when I got called on it and held responsible they’re trying to ruin my life. Get over yourself!

You realize that if your father is a non resident one way to help ensure he shows for his court date is to Seize something as collateral in this case the firearm? Not to mention the evidentiary value that a firearm was involved. You violate an 87 code in Montana and I can seize anything used in the commission(rifle pack optics boots clothes vehicle boat atv Etc...) of that violation, have you post bond on the spot or just take you to jail. Sounds like giving you a court date and seizing a rifle is just par for the course.

As far as the fine and suspension that’s not set by the officer that’s set by law and is generally lists the max punishment which rarely gets enforced unless you are a habitual offender or don’t show any remorse. I wish we could set the punishment for some of the “winners” out there. It would help solve the problem owe have with frequent fliers....

I also love how whenever someone gets caught the first thing they do is point out all the other people they see violating the law... because we all know pointing out someone else’s crime will clear me of mine.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You violate an 87 code in Montana and I can seize anything used in the commission(rifle pack optics boots clothes vehicle boat atv Etc...) of that violation, have you post bond on the spot or just take you to jail.
I wish we could set the punishment for some of the “winners” out there. It would help solve the problem owe have with frequent fliers....
With a law like that, have you considered leaving a frequent flier barefoot and half nekkid on the side of the trail? Preferably miles from nowhere.
It would likely cut down on the repeat offenses once the word got around.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
With a law like that, have you considered leaving a frequent flier barefoot and half nekkid on the side of the trail? Preferably miles from nowhere.
Ha unfortunately that would violate the 14th amendment. My point is we can often do way more than what generally occurs. Bond on the spot is usually reserved for non residents to ensure the issue is resolved otherwise they just leave and never come back. If they can’t pay bond it goes seize the rifle or jail route.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Ha unfortunately that would violate the 14th amendment. My point is we can often do way more than what generally occurs. Bond on the spot is usually reserved for non residents to ensure the issue is resolved otherwise they just leave and never come back. If they can’t pay bond it goes seize the rifle or jail route.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
everyone seemed so supportive of the self admitted poacher in the original post... where did all the friendliness and understanding go?
This forum is weird.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2018, 09:24 PM

This forum is only weird if you make it weird
Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 PM

Weird? No way.

People that put their milk into their bowl before their cereal.

Now that's weird.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Weird? No way.

Now that's weird.
My God... does that actually happen?
Old 11-18-2018, 11:21 PM

There are 100's of pic's here in this forum, photos of hunters posing proudly in front of a killed animal. In a lot of these photos there is no tag to be seen, although the law is clear. The animal has to be tagged immediately after the kill.
No comments about that, only congrats. Some of these photos are of the members who demand death penalty for whoever has the courage to admit their mistake.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Finally! Someone with common sens. As for my dad, he won’t come back here to hunt with me.
Sounds like he doesn't have a gun to hunt with. Seems like a lot of belly aching when you were in fault.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Some people would have us believe that the regulations are so complicated, that nobody can understand or obey them. Oddly enough, I have managed to hunt for over 45 years in multiple provinces and states with no issues. If you take the time to read and obey the regulations, you can avoid most issues.

And if you can't be bothered to read and obey the regulations, then don't blame other people when you are charged and convicted of a violation.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalyShooter View Post
If I've understood your post, you and your friend were both hunting deer (and birds) in an area where you need a special license for WT deer. Since neither of you had the required license, you were both charged for hunting without a license. If this is the case, then the charges seem fair, regardless of whether or not you were successful. If you had said you were 'bird' hunting, then maybe you wouldn't have been charged (depends if there were any reason to doubt this, I would think). Hopefully the judge believes that this was an issue with not knowing\understanding the regs (as opposed to intentionally breaking the law), and the penalty reflects that.
Agreed. A Strathcona WT Lisence is required in the area of 248 they were in. Neither had that special lisence. Looking for Deer is hunting as defined in the Regs. Guilty and Guilty.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
There are 100's of pic's here in this forum, photos of hunters posing proudly in front of a killed animal. In a lot of these photos there is no tag to be seen, although the law is clear. The animal has to be tagged immediately after the kill.
No comments about that, only congrats. Some of these photos are of the members who demand death penalty for whoever has the courage to admit their mistake.
You don’t see tags in my pictures because I don’t take pictures of the tag in the picture, that or I crop the picture so that the legs and the tag are out of the picture.

Get over yourself, you are excelling at a pointing out a whole lot of nothing.

The OP and Hunter Spec broke he rules, and got caught. The rules are written in the Queens English, and if you’ve got an issue with them, there’s far better places to bring up your complaints, first through hiring a Lawyer, second by lobbying politicians.

Some people aren’t happy unless they a whining and moaning.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Weird? No way.

Now that's weird.
That way it stays crunchy. You keep the box next to you and just add a little at a time - no soggy mess at the end.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Agreed. A Strathcona WT Lisence is required in the area of 248 they were in. Neither had that special lisence. Looking for Deer is hunting as defined in the Regs. Guilty and Guilty.
A general WT Deer/ Mule Deer/ elk/ moose tag (license) is also allowed/valid in there if you are strictly Bowhunting. As per 248 rules, there is an additional opportunity if you hold the Strathcona license to use shotgun/muzzle loader or crossbow (in addition to archery equipment).

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-19-2018 at 09:32 AM.