Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Question Things that make you go hmmmm?

The rivers around here are blasted out right now and filled with mud so the fishing is not great. My question is why? what does the muddy water do and how do the fish handle the muddy water. Why do they not bite during the water mess?
Any comments would be appreciated because I have no idea?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM

Id say its finally due to the fact the snow in the mountains is finely melting
and with the rain weve had is also attributing to the murky water and rise of water levels. I was up in the mountains last week and there's alot I mean alot of snow , and when speaking to fish and wildlife officer he said they've had zero run off from the mountains.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The rivers around here are blasted out right now and filled with mud so the fishing is not great. My question is why? what does the muddy water do and how do the fish handle the muddy water. Why do they not bite during the water mess?
Any comments would be appreciated because I have no idea?
The fish still bite when the water is murky the problem is there visibility is very narrow so they do not move very far to eat something,also if the river is moving fast the fish will stay in a place that will protect them from the current until the water subsides, like behind big boulders or slow bays etc..........high and fast water can play havoc on fish fry or eggs that haven't hatched yet, they get swept down the river......hope this helps
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 PM

There's a river that I fish in BC that is always muddy and never clears up due to the continuous mountain runoff but consistently produces large bulls and rainbows. It's all a matter of changing your technique and utilize very flashy spoons, spinners and sound emiting lures. Fishman is right though, they won't move a lot so you have to make sure you cover every inch of fish holding zones.

Just today we were at the upper RDR and it was maybe a foot of visibility (I might be generous) and in a few hours we landed a nice 18" bull and lost quite a few others. That was with a pack of kayakers and rafters going right though the fish holding zones.