Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 AM

Default bassano dam & cvr

Fished both a couple of times(shore fishing), caught a few walleye from shore at the cvr dam, but never had much luck below bassano dam, for them. (caught lots of white fish, and a smaller pike). I've heard of big ones being below the damn, but haven't seen any caught !
I'm thinking about going tomorrow evening, for a couple hours, and was wondering if any ones had much luck below the bassano dam? not looking for secrets, but maybe some re-assurance thx MAG
Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 AM

use jigs for the walleye there. i been a few times and caught all walleye on a white head-yellow tail and it also caught a few pike and a rainbow! hope this helps!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

a bunch of years back bassano use to be a gold mine for big pike, and huge walleye, i never use to leave there with out catching pike over 24-over 30 inches, and my father caught a 10 pound walleye outta there once, it was an awesome place, and now its been so over fished and poached its not even funny, last year i took a trip down there, and we were catching nothing but goldeyes, there are no more preditor fish in there to control them, i breaks my heart for sure i use to love that place
Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Bassano Dam

Maybe it was goldeye I was catching there too then...look pretty similar. But I would think they are being over fished, there is always 5-10 people there, pulling one after another out, and keeping them all. I seen a couple pike pulled out, one around 8-9 lbs or so, but it was caught on smelt right at the base of the dam. I would imagine there is a few big pike and walleye there, but might take some patience. Maybe I could try leeches for walleye( might work as well) Don't like using the expensive rapelas there...too easy to snag those rocks. MAG