Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Where to go on the Bow

I really want to get out fly fishing but don't know where to go. I heard that the bow is open to fishing in certain areas. Can someone point me to these areas?

Ive lived near the bow my entire life but haven't fished it once. So this will be my first time. Im itching to get but i have no clue where to go.

And like i said, when it comes to the bow this is going to be my first time so i was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers for fishing it. Flys to use, parts of the river to be fishing, and so on.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM

The Bow is open all year from the weir near 17th Ave SE downstream to the weir at Carseland. Fish Creek Park is a good place to start, as is Policeman's Flats and McKinnon Flats, farther downstream.

Look for slower, deeper water, especially seams in the current. Streamers are a good choice, as are various nymphs. I like to use a heavy wire San Juan Worm for weight instead of split shot, with a smaller dropper fly such as a prince nymph, gold ribbed hare's ear, or pheasant tail nymph, under a strike indicator. The key to the nymph rig is to mend your line so your flies are bouncing along the bottom of the river, drag free from your line.

With the warmer weather you're bound to run into other anglers... I find many who fish the Bow quite friendly and willing to share some tips and techniques. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM

any ice cover at fish creek? Suppose should have some, would it be safe to walk on? HAven't fly fished in over a month
Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Not looking for any hot spots, but can i get some ideas of where to go in that area. Im mainly concerned about the ice. My dad doesn't want me fishing in areas that are dangerous. Like i said, no hot spots, just somewhere i can access the river without to much ice problems.

Thanks a ton
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 PM

The river is mostly free of dagerous ice. The recent warm weather has taken care of that. Try a san waun worm under an indicator. I'd start under Glenmore bridge.