Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Airdrie Pond / Dewitts

Does anyone know if these two ponds were stocked yet? I might head out there to take a look this weekend. Myfishalberta hasn't listed anything since the 5th.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM

You should be able to find a stoking report online. Never looked myself but I hear there is such a thing
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 PM

as far as i know either has been stocked as of today, but i do know that some trout did winter over in dewitts, there also adding 3000 into dewitts this yr compared to 2000 in previous yrs
Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 AM

I am in Airdrie. Happy to get together with new guys and hit some spots.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
I am in Airdrie. Happy to get together with new guys and hit some spots.
I'm just in panorama hills....almost neighbours. I'll pm my cell number for future trips. I'm heading out to dewitts right now to check it out
Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM

i'm kinda surprised that they would increase the stocking to 3000 for such a small lake that gets fished hard. i fished this lake since i was 7 and stopped after i heard rumors of the farm nearby where the run off of man made farm products was draining into this lake and cause huge algae blooms. i am not sure how true this is or if there is any relation to that blue green algea but this made me very wary when i saw huge clumps of the rock snot looking algea and a few dead fish. i heard the farm is sitting at a slightly higher elevation then the lake and that's where the runoffs are naturally draining to.i normally treat fisherman's talk like this as just fisherman's talk but sometimes the visual sight and smell makes me wonder or maybe its just coincidence.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 PM

No bites today at either Dewitts or Airdrie Pond. There were others there and no one had caught anything. I don't think it's stocked just yet....
Old 05-10-2014, 09:16 PM

hello just wanted to let everyone know that the first 1500 trout well be released on monday, also the pond has been maintianed by the airdrie hunting and fishing association, after last yrs release the results for the water in the pond were the best they have ever been, i beleive that airdrie pond well also be stocked on monday as well. dewitts is a very heathly pond.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM

thats great news man thats its being maintained now.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM

How was it? been stocked?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Will be fishing at dewwits later today, will post results when back
Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM

DeWitt's was stocked yesterday with 1500 rainbows. Oxygen levels were excellent and the water looked as clean as I've ever seen it. For the past 4 years, the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association (Ahas conducted a fall weed cleanup. This past winter, a local ploughed a couple of strips of snow off with a quad. That helps tremendously in preventing winter kill. I have seen and heard of several large fish being caught this spring, so it looks like the efforts are paying off.

The next stocking of 1500 will be in June. As usual, the AHFA will be having a spring cleanup and hot dog roast that day. It's a great opportunity for kids (and adults) to see how stocking is done. I will post again when the date has been set.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM

wow cool man i didnt know they were doing the weed control and clean up at dewitts, thanks for the update
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

fished it yesterday. water looks good. caught a few trouts ranging from 3 to 6 inches.im curious to know the average size of stocked fish. i'll post pics later

there was alot of people there and I saw many people limit out on those 4 inch trouts in a short time. I'd say it will be fished out pretty fast.

practice catch and release.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:45 PM

These fish in Dewitts pond are for the folks who live in the surrounding area, why do people from Calgary insist on coming out to our community pond when they have the bow or elbow rivers to fish. It would make more sense for you lobby the government agencies to stock a pond or two in Calgary for the general public. At least put the wee trout back when you catch them for the kids to catch at a later date, keeping a 4" trout, give me a break. Yes, it will be fished out in a couple of weeks as usual. Sorry for the rant but this issue is frustrating. Go ahead and blast me if you want but I'm just being honest here.

Goose
Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
These fish in Dewitts pond are for the folks who live in the surrounding area"
I'm sorry, but where do you get that impression? There is nothing which says as much in the regulations, or on the land site itself. Should we ban you from the Bow in Calgary, or any other PUBLIC body of water simply because we feel entitled to it?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

Don't worry I didn't keep any. And it does annoy me when ppl do that. I just hope the end up eating them
Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
These fish in Dewitts pond are for the folks who live in the surrounding area, why do people from Calgary insist on coming out to our community pond when they have the bow or elbow rivers to fish. It would make more sense for you lobby the government agencies to stock a pond or two in Calgary for the general public. At least put the wee trout back when you catch them for the kids to catch at a later date, keeping a 4" trout, give me a break. Yes, it will be fished out in a couple of weeks as usual. Sorry for the rant but this issue is frustrating. Go ahead and blast me if you want but I'm just being honest here.

Goose
I would much rather see "meat fisherman" take fish out of DeWitts than the Elbow or Bow Rivers. Yes, the fishing pressure on DeWitts has been intense. Despite that, it does not get fished out. And the stocking rate has been increased this year from 2000 fish to 3000 fish. Finding a parking space is more difficult than catching a fish. BTW, 4" trout are delicious.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
I'm sorry, but where do you get that impression? There is nothing which says as much in the regulations, or on the land site itself. Should we ban you from the Bow in Calgary, or any other PUBLIC body of water simply because we feel entitled to it?
...and how!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:

Goose

When the pond is stocked with fish paid for with public funds , the public has every right to fish there , go lick nuts
Old 05-17-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Goose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
When the pond is stocked with fish paid for with public funds , the public has every right to fish there , go lick nuts
x2, I pay so I'll play.
Goose your sense of entitlement is overwhelming in your post. How in any way is Dewitt's YOUR/OUR pond?? And who is keeping 4" trout?? Jebus man...
I reside in Calgary and havn't be to Dewitts in a couple years. Looks like I am going to Dewitts this weekend for some free fishing.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM

the funny thing is i have been fishing dewitt's since i was 7 and back then dewitt's was about a half hour drive ish from calgary, now a days its like maybe 5mins from the edge of calgary. i am betting pretty soon with the way calgary is expanding northwards dewitt's will be part of calgary in the next few years and become a somewhat private pond.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 PM

What are you guys using for bait or lure at dewitts? Would spinners be effective?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM

flies, veleta cheese fished off the bottom, worms, power bait paste, or small white mini marshmellows, spinners and small spoons work, but once the weeds start growing in its to easy to snag up in the weeds with the spinners and spoons
Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM

Nice place to fish and alway had lots of strikes on power bait at this pond.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

Nvm