Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Preferences: small or medium biscuit

Switching from Maxima's to Easton FMJ's. What biscuit is going to work best. Medium looks pretty sloppy.....switch to a small or is that just for the VAP's?

Interested in what everyone else's experience has been.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Default WB

You may need the small for the FMJ's?, there should be some clearance from 10-2 o'clock slightly more on top. There is usually a picture on Trophy Taker Products of what it should look like. I am thinking about doing the same. Cheers
Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 AM

"Sloppy" is far better than tight...tight is where you get noise, some clearance issues and more drag meaning speed loss...

You should see daylight around arrow in the Cookie [Biscuit]above and top sides near midway on arrow..that combined with a slight top tilt of cookie towards string will achieve the quietest draw...

We even have some shooters shooting the large Cookie with standard med arrows...

We did a few tests and even with the large cookie on a standard Med arrow where it is really "sloppy" there was no loss of accuracy, it was quiter on draw and some were even more accurate...

Then same arrow with small cookie there was more noise and huge differance in accuracy..for the worst..with shooters...interestly with a mecanical shooter...the Hooter Shooter there was no differance...

So what that told us was a tight cookie has more full contact with rest during the shot..and any human error in form was evident...movement, dropping bow arm, grip torque, no follow thru etc...

IMHO the Med Cookie/Whisker is just fine for FMJ

Neil
Old 07-22-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I picked up the small 'cookie' and compared. There is actually still a pile of space around an FMJ so I swapped the medium one out. Eyeballed it up, tweaked and headed to the range. Walk back tuned and then resighted.

Trying some new PX2 broadheads this year. I trued up the FMJ's with a GSD and indexed the main blade to the cock feather.

This picture is at 40 m. 1 broadhead (middle) and 3 field points. Got a flyer.....I'm not perfect LOL. Still lots to monkey with. Will try 60 tonight. Not going to miss my drop away this year at all.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 07-22-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I picked up the small 'cookie' and compared. There is actually still a pile of space around an FMJ so I swapped the medium one out. Eyeballed it up, tweaked and headed to the range. Walk back tuned and then resighted.

Trying some new PX2 broadheads this year. I trued up the FMJ's with a GSD and indexed the main blade to the cock feather.

This picture is at 40 m. 1 broadhead (middle) and 3 field points. Got a flyer.....I'm not perfect LOL. Still lots to monkey with. Will try 60 tonight. Not going to miss my drop away this year at all.

Awesome ...when Trophy Ridge bought out WB they made the arrow seat a little bigger on the Small and Medium Cookies...was a great asset...less noise and drag...

Shoot straight
Neil
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 AM

I think your going to like that combination. Although the carbon steel is probably the toughest broadhead out there I found the px2 to fly better and sharper. Hammering them into a Muskox shoulder they still had the blades together and the Muskox was down within 30sec.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I think your going to like that combination. Although the carbon steel is probably the toughest broadhead out there I found the px2 to fly better and sharper. Hammering them into a Muskox shoulder they still had the blades together and the Muskox was down within 30sec.
And that says a lot ...them Muskox bones are not only big they are partly frozen too...lol

Neil