Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Truck

Or wait for the new Ford Ranger, later this year.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Mid 50s, but they are a limited production truck. You likely won't find one on any lot. You basically have to pay a deposit, go on a list, and wait for the phone to ring. The TRD Pro is a TRD Off road with: 1" extra ground clearance, Fox remote reservoir shocks (rear only), beefier skids, better tires (albeit still street biased), TRD rims, unique grille, Rigid fog lamps and special paint. The TRD Off Road is roughly $45. If anything, that's the most likely route I'll go, and just build my own Pro from there.
Yep. Well put. If you go Tacoma, I would get the Off-road version and just install Fox shocks on it. You'll essentially have a pro minus some badging, front grille, etc. And you can get Fox shocks with reservoirs and adjusters (adjusts the ride to more comfy or firmer performance) for around $4k plus labor, or DIY.

I would buy a Ford or GM given the right circumstances. I have no hate for those brands and respect them to some extent as great trucks with respectable reliability. Toyota certainly isn't perfect and could step up their game with Tacos, IMHO, but their reliability is a cut above the big three for sure. So anyone buying a ZR2 would cut into their market share and hopefully give them that kick in the pants. Go for it!

Just to throw in my $0.02 on some points brought out:
* I have a Taco, I'm 6'1 and under 170lbs, I fit no problem. I think GTR meant 150 kg? :-)
* I drive 2 kids in the back regularly and no problem (7yo in a big carseat)
* Regarding cheap parts and DIY-ability: Toyota has HUGE aftermarket support and endless tutorials online on how to do just about anything. Definitely beats the ZR2 at the moment.

IMO, definitely draw up the pros and cons of each one on paper, then drive both and make your own decision.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Crappy GM quality Vs Toyota quality.

I rest my case
Take your blinders off and hit a few Toyota forums, they arnt what they once were. Not to be confused with me saying they are bad, just not great like they they used to be.

My last "crappy" s10 had over 400,000 K on the clock and buddy I sold it to drove it till he rolled it.

My current s10 ZR2 has 240,000 and still runs like new.

And cost's a fraction of a Tacoma to buy (at least they used to be) and repair, and still dosent have a spot of rust.

Is this the Toyota quality you speak of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxK3vFNyYxQ
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 AM

2007 FJ Cruiser just hit 300k kms, and can fit the 2 kid seats in the back. I can take it anywhere I want with little to no modification, and it has a decent towing capacity.

I'm a tad biased, though, as all of my vehicles are Toyotas, and have been for the past 10 years now.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
x2

I had my 2013 Tacoma TRD for 4 years & 100,000kms. Lots of hunting, ice fishing, pulling 19' travel trailer. My cost of ownership was only insurance, oil and gas during those four years.
And on the 5th year...what happened?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Mid 50s, but they are a limited production truck. You likely won't find one on any lot. You basically have to pay a deposit, go on a list, and wait for the phone to ring. The TRD Pro is a TRD Off road with: 1" extra ground clearance, Fox remote reservoir shocks (rear only), beefier skids, better tires (albeit still street biased), TRD rims, unique grille, Rigid fog lamps and special paint. The TRD Off Road is roughly $45. If anything, that's the most likely route I'll go, and just build my own Pro from there.
The unique headlight's on the Pro Tacoma are $1300.00 EACH ....I think them and the Limited tacoma's are the only ones with heated leather seats too...
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
The unique headlight's on the Pro Tacoma are $1300.00 EACH ....I think them and the Limited tacoma's are the only ones with heated leather seats too...
Are you referring to the Rigid Industry fog lamps? I believe the headlights are the same as the "lesser" trims...But $1300?? WOW!!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Take your blinders off and hit a few Toyota forums, they arnt what they once were. Not to be confused with me saying they are bad, just not great like they they used to be.

My last "crappy" s10 had over 400,000 K on the clock and buddy I sold it to drove it till he rolled it.

My current s10 ZR2 has 240,000 and still runs like new.

And cost's a fraction of a Tacoma to buy (at least they used to be) and repair, and still dosent have a spot of rust.

Is this the Toyota quality you speak of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxK3vFNyYxQ

That sucks! lol
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM

Meet the One Million Mile Toyota Tundra Still with Its Original V8!
https://youtu.be/TL7fyyUNRmA
Old 01-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Meet the One Million Mile Toyota Tundra Still with Its Original V8!
https://youtu.be/TL7fyyUNRmA
a quick google search will show multiple vehicles from various manufactures that have done the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
That sucks! lol
What do you mean, thats an option, a bed that dumps!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Winner: Xterra

Update: I test drove both, and, well, the winner is: the truck I already own.

2nd place - The Colorado: It delivered the nicer ride, had the nicer interior (minus a shift lever from the 1996 Grand Am parts bin), better engine, and the equipment I wanted out of the box without having to shell out thousands in extra dough and time. The only thing is the automatic transmission - I've never driven an automatic I liked, and the engine, although advertised at 305hp, did not feel even close to that (probably due to the automatic transmission acting as the fun police).

3rd place - The Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road/TRD Pro: Lockers in the rear only, street biased tires, and only available with an automatic in crew cab configuration (Ughh ). The Crawl Control feature was kind of cool, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Most experienced off-roaders like myself would likely seldom use it. The interior was not as nice as the ZR2, cloth seats only, and an audio system that makes a clock radio sound like Dolby 7.1 digital surround sound. The new Atkinson Cycle engine felt like an absolute dud; but to be fair it was probably due to the automatic transmission which was all over the place and did everything it could to sap any available power from the engine (Did I mention I hate automatic transmissions?). It really wants to be in the highest gear possible and is very reluctant to shift. You really have to put your foot into it to make it go, and even then it does so with contempt. And to top it all off, the TRD Off Road came in at $48,000 all in...only $3,000 less than the ZR2. The TRD Pro adds $10K to that.

I'm not at all brand loyal, these are just my own observations. I was quite disappointed in both trucks, but more so the Tacoma. Looks like I'll be hanging on to my truck for some years to come yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And on the 5th year...what happened?
On the fifth year I sold it for great price. Purchased it for $37k even (all in price) and sold it for $27,500 four years later. You will loose that much in one year with GM option

Since I bought it I moved 40kms away from Edmonton and needed a small commute car for work in Edmonton. So I got 2016 Mazda 3 and 2013 Ram that sits at home waiting for outdoor activities. Both vehicles I paid roughly for what I sold Tacoma for. Mind you both of my new to me vehicles were written off but person I bought them from is a friend I trust. So far I am happy...

Still nothing but praise is all I have for that Tacoma. You can't go wrong with it
Old 02-09-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Daily livability constraints? Care to elaborate? You have space for a mid size but not a full size! The extra foot length is too much? If your 6.4 and 215 your Absolutely wasting your time with these two trucks. Get a full size, I’ve had the trucks mentioned btw
Yup totally agree. Would never buy either myself when you could have a 1/2t for the same money. And get waaaayyyy more truck.

But to answer the op's ?, probably tacoma. Even though they ugly