Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Colorado ZR2 vs Tacoma TRD Pro

OK so I'm wanting to get away from the 14yr old YouTuber fanboys and hoping to get some real opinions of real men and women who actually hunt, camp, and off-road. I'm looking at getting into a new truck as I'm in an SUV now, and a bed is better suited for my lifestyle. Full size trucks are out mainly due to size and daily liveability constraints. I've narrowed it down to the Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2 specifically, for their off-road capabilities. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. The ZR2 is ultimately the better off roader out of the box, but because of its DSSV dampers, it can't be lifted - or at least GM strongly advises against it. The TRD Pro has advantages in clearance/approach/breakover/departure, but they're so slight I consider it a wash. ZR2 offers spool valve dampers, 31"Duratracs, a front locker, diesel engine and rocker protection. The TRD Pro offers A-Trac, Crawl Control, resale, "reliability"?, and sexier sheet metal. As for price, again it's a wash - they both come in around the mid-50s (I know, right). Not looking to start any fights, just people's thoughts.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM

If you want a truck that lasts get the Tacoma.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Banned

Here is a video comparing the 2 trucks.
Not sure if you have watched it,
but I thought it was informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKP2lUfVWeE
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
If you want a truck that lasts get the Tacoma.
x2

I had my 2013 Tacoma TRD for 4 years & 100,000kms. Lots of hunting, ice fishing, pulling 19' travel trailer. My cost of ownership was only insurance, oil and gas during those four years.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
x2

I had my 2013 Tacoma TRD for 4 years & 100,000kms. Lots of hunting, ice fishing, pulling 19' travel trailer. My cost of ownership was only insurance, oil and gas during those four years.
I'm driving a 2010 with 190000km. Only "major" repair has been a lower ball joint other than regular maintenance. Its never let me down. Same goes for the 1992 I had before this one.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

If you pick the Toyota, you never tried the Chevy. If your five ten and 150 pounds you will be some what comfortable. If you not, as I'm not, you will be cramped.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM

Default Nice Trucks!

That video is pretty informative. They seem pretty close. If it were me, and prices are a wash, I would go with the Toyota simply for resale, and possibly reliability. Good luck on your purchase! Post pics when you get her.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Banned

LOL.....You must be of smaller stature, or if you want to use the back seat, it would be good for kids. Life is too short to be uncomfortable in a vehicle. As I said try it out.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 PM

By the way I'm 6' 4". No problems but with four fully grown people in the cab, then it starts to get tight.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
LOL.....You must be of smaller stature, or if you want to use the back seat, it would be good for kids. Life is too short to be uncomfortable in a vehicle. As I said try it out.
I'm not buying it. I drive a full size and am not interested in small.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

I'm sure that you can't go wrong either way as you haven't thrown in a Ford as an option....attaboy.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm not buying it. I drive a full size and am not interested in small.
I won't buy one either.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Hahaha no, I'm 6'4/215. I've driven both, and granted, they're both on the snug side, it's fairly easy to find a comfortable driving position in both trucks. I'd give the Colorado the +1 in this category though, because it has the more upright "truck" like seating position. The Taco makes you feel like you're sitting on the floor with your feet straight out in front of you rather than in a chair as in the Colorado. And, with the Taco, I found it hard to see the lights when stopped at an intersection without cranking my head. But honestly, the difference between the two is not big enough to be a deciding factor.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM

You might be hard pressed to find a pro for sale...lots of them are pre ordered/bought up sight unseen.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
You might be hard pressed to find a pro for sale...lots of them are pre ordered/bought up sight unseen.
Oh I'm aware. Apparently there's a waitlist, and when one comes available, they'll call you. It might be in your town, it might be in BC, it might be in MB and it might not be the color you wanted. They ask if you want it or not. If you say no, it's to the back of the line for you and they call the next guy.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Oh I'm aware. Apparently there's a waitlist, and when one comes available, they'll call you. It might be in your town, it might be in BC, it might be in MB and it might not be the color you wanted. They ask if you want it or not. If you say no, it's to the back of the line for you and they call the next guy.
Thats correct!The dealership I know in southern AB got 2 of them last year and the first one went to a fellow in northern BC,the second stayed local and I see it around town occasionally.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 PM

For what its worth I have a TRD lift in my 2017 Tundra and it literally rides as nice as my wifes Acura.

I am very pro Toyota, but with that said I would never buy a Tacoma. Im 6' 2" tall and i think it would be too small.
Ive had two Tundras in a row now a 2015 1794 and now a 2017 Platinum and I can tell you they stand up.
Im a rig consultant and put the miles on highway and gravel/mud crappy leases etc and mine has been awesome even pulling a 24' Office trailer behind it.
IMHO the Colorado will not stand up like the Tacoma.
And the resale on the Tacoma will be great, especially on a hard to find model like that one.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Then on the other end of the spectrum you see a young guy in his early 20's about the size of my right leg get out of a 6" lifted monster cab diesel Truck...LoL

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 01-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Thats correct!The dealership I know in southern AB got 2 of them last year and the first one went to a fellow in northern BC,the second stayed local and I see it around town occasionally.
Just adds to the rarity and subsequent resale value down the road. A friend of mine bought a 4Runner Pro and had to go to a dealership in Coquitlam to pick it up.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Ford Ranger Raptor was also just released. Don't know much about it, but if it's anything like the F-150, might be worth a look (although I hate buying first model year of anything because you become a test pilot for unknown issues).

Here's how I look at it. Fuel savings between full size and mid size trucks are negligible and full size trucks offer some advantages BUT if you want a mid size, and are looking at these two choices .....

Toyota is likely the better and more reliable platform.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Just adds to the rarity and subsequent resale value down the road. A friend of mine bought a 4Runner Pro and had to go to a dealership in Coquitlam to pick it up.
yaa your probably right...I know the dealerships 2018 4runner here in town is already sold....
Old 01-06-2018, 07:12 PM

This article was in the Friday Calgary Herald. TRD pro vs zr2

http://driving.ca/chevrolet/colorado...t-colorado-zr2
Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
If you pick the Toyota, you never tried the Chevy. If your five ten and 150 pounds you will be some what comfortable. If you not, as I'm not, you will be cramped.
Disagree, yes the Chevy is a little roomier, but I fit fine in a 17 Off-road.

The gassers are similar to drive, with a slight edge to Chev on power, as well as fuel economy. Price was very comparable.

As for the Toyota, I’d skip the Pro, especially if you’re going to do a lift. The only real reason to get the pro is the fox suspension. Yes I’m biased, but test drove several Colorado’s prior to buying my Off road. For me, it was the right choice.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
By the way I'm 6' 4". No problems but with four fully grown people in the cab, then it starts to get tight.
How the heck do you do that? I like the looks of the Tacoma and everything you can do with them. I have tried to like them but having sat in them at a dealers and ridden with friends who own them, even with the front seats all the way back my 6'1" 200# just can't get in a comfortable position in that truck. Haven't sat in any of the new small GM's. Fiances dad has an on older one and I fit fine in that, just feel like I'm sitting way to low in the cab. He even had to put a big foam cushion under the seat cover to sit higher...lol

As for the Ford Ranger Raptor, I don't believe they are in production yet as they won't restart production on the regular Ranger until 2019 model year or later this fall.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ford Ranger Raptor was also just released. Don't know much about it, but if it's anything like the F-150, might be worth a look (although I hate buying first model year of anything because you become a test pilot for unknown issues).

Here's how I look at it. Fuel savings between full size and mid size trucks are negligible and full size trucks offer some advantages BUT if you want a mid size, and are looking at these two choices .....

Toyota is likely the better and more reliable platform.
I'm running an XTerra Pro4x, so fuel economy is not a concern I average 15L/100km...
Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Thumbs up Toyota

Crappy GM quality Vs Toyota quality.

I rest my case
Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Crappy GM quality Vs Toyota quality.

I rest my case
Reading and listening to all those reviews posted about the two and several others I just found online, the consensus seems to point towards the gm over the Toyota. To each their own I guess, personally I have a hard time buying a product that went bankrupt, took a huge tax payer funded loan, resulting in the loss of $$ back to the tax payers when the loans were repaid. But once again, to each their own.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:41 AM

I would go chevy for cheaper parts and more self fixability. As for reliability both should be fairly good if you are good at off roading and preventative maintenance. The other thing is latly there have been a few Toyota's stolen maybe they are a more like target?

If I'm honest however I would say skip the new truck. The amount of gas you could buy with the depreciation will set you up for a long time. A new truck is a fun novelty but trust me you feel a lot better when your 2004 ford scrapes a rock than your 2018 Tacoma.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Reading and listening to all those reviews posted about the two and several others I just found online, the consensus seems to point towards the gm over the Toyota. To each their own I guess, personally I have a hard time buying a product that went bankrupt, took a huge tax payer funded loan, resulting in the loss of $$ back to the tax payers when the loans were repaid. But once again, to each their own.
Didn’t ford pull the same stunt? Just a few years earlier? 6 billion in loans constitutes a bailout to me...
Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 AM

OP. If you want a reliable truck, get the Taco.