Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Default How partisan polarization erodes Democracies.

So... the Overton Window has finally shifted. Shutting down the govt and putting 850 000 govt employees on furlough is a legit political tactic.

Very very sad.

Eventually.. people won’t stand for this.

Some old rules should not be abandoned...

Please someone reinstate the ‘Fairness Doctrine’
And once you’re elected.... do the job your elected to do... stop campaigning.... including the Prez.

Sad state of affairs.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Selfie the clown has done nothing but campaign since he got in. Seems to be the thing to do once elected.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Massive protests all over the country. This erosion of democratic normative practices across the border are not good for any democracy.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM

Confirms for me, the “Canadian” model, despite some shortcomings ... is pretty good.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM

I’ll be honest with you.

I believe the Canadian system of govt is way way worse..... and leaves us prone to way worse.

Our slightly different values have saved us so far. By my view.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Perhaps the stubbornness of the Dems will alienate more of their voting base.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM

I doubt it.

The quote ‘you got your shutdown Mr.trump’ will carry them very very nicely. Plus trumpy ‘trumped’ a bipartisan agreement at the last moment that would have avoided this.

Too tough for the GOP to spin ... the Dems have 2 levels of rebuttals... that’s all you need to ensure blame I think.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I’ll be honest with you.

I believe the Canadian system of govt is way way worse..... and leaves us prone to way worse.

I'm with you on that as well. For all the flaws of the US system, as recently exhibited we have nothing to brag about. Personally I think the Constitution is a superior document to frame a democracy with (sublime, even), than what we have. Anyway, if you keep this up with your intellectual commentaries on politics Bessie, it's going to ruin the whole persona you project over on the Oilers thread of a slighly addled and heavily inebriated good ol' boy!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm with you on that as well. For all the flaws of the US system, as recently exhibited we have nothing to brag about. Personally I think the Constitution is superior document to ferame a democracy with, than what we have. Anyway, if you keep this up with your intellectual commentaries on politics Bessie, it's going to ruin the whole persona you project over on the Oilers thread of a slighly addled and heavily inebriated good ol' boy!
I agree as well, just compare our economies, the US is booming, setting new stock market records, while our economy is lagging far behind. I also agree with the US constitution being far superior to joke of a document that we have.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM

The Trump Presidency, ricocheting from trainwreck to trainwreck. The Trumpster's definition of a victory, only half the rail cars fall off the track.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I agree as well, just compare our economies, the US is booming, setting new stock market records, while our economy is lagging far behind. I also agree with the US constitution being far superior to joke of a document that we have.
US economy is doing well for sure. However, you may be forgetting that nationwide we are experiencing historically low unemployment rates, and our economy is doing well enough that for the first time in a looong time the Bank of Canada is instituting consecutive rate hikes to slow inflation. Obviously in Alberta we aren't feeling it because we have been hard hit, but Canada's economy is doing quite well too.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
The Trump Presidency, ricocheting from trainwreck to trainwreck. The Trumpster's definition of a victory, only half the rail cars fall off the track.
I'd forgo pay for a bit to have President Trump at the helm of the military. Cuz the rest of the year would #winning.
As long as the tracks are lubbed with liberal tears and hissy fits that coal burning super train is full steam ahead.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
US economy is doing well for sure. However, you may be forgetting that nationwide we are experiencing historically low unemployment rates, and our economy is doing well enough that for the first time in a looong time the Bank of Canada is instituting consecutive rate hikes to slow inflation. Obviously in Alberta we aren't feeling it because we have been hard hit, but Canada's economy is doing quite well too.
Our economy is doing better, as we recover from 2015, but growth wise, it lags far behind the USA. As well, our taxes are going up, while in the USA, taxes are going down .
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Sorry TC

Quote:
I'm with you on that as well. For all the flaws of the US system, as recently exhibited we have nothing to brag about. Personally I think the Constitution is a superior document to frame a democracy with (sublime, even), than what we have. Anyway, if you keep this up with your intellectual commentaries on politics Bessie, it's going to ruin the whole persona you project over on the Oilers thread of a slighly addled and heavily inebriated good ol' boy!
I don’t mean to alienate anyone.

I’m bored

Got up late.... supposed to go fishin with the boy... girls nabbed by truck with all my gear.

So I’m stuck.... dogs givin me stink eye cause she wants to get out... snows too deep in da bush to hike yet.....

Plus wifey put wayyyy too much maple syrope in my coffee..

So I got me a classic case o shack nasties...!

Figured I’d make some smart talk fer a bit.

My truck gets back round 2.
It’s eother burbs or walleyes after that...

And don’t be bashin good ole boys..... I prefer genuine people over plastic non living real life goopsie doops any day of the week.

But I’m derailing.

Last edited by bessiedog; 01-20-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 PM

It's too late Bessie, now I know you're smart and educated...hockey excepted...I have to look at you completely differently now. Mind you, as a Crown drinker, you do have a few flaws. Will have to introduce you to some fine whisky!

I generally need to avoid political threads, as I think I've been on thin ice. I did notice a few of my 'one in the bum' posts disappeared as well, who would have thunk it? Anyway, Flames playing Jets shortly, Go Flames go!!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Our economy is doing better, as we recover from 2015, but growth wise, it lags far behind the USA. As well, our taxes are going up, while in the USA, taxes are going down .
1/3 of the job gains in December were public sevice jobs according to Stats Can. This isn’t sustainable and taxes will need to go up to pay for it as we are already record spending outside a war or recession and running deficits.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
1/3 of the job gains in December were public sevice jobs according to Stats Can. This isn’t sustainable and taxes will need to go up to pay for it as we are already record spending outside a war or recession and running deficits.
Yes the government can hire large amounts of people in order to reduce unemployment, but as you say, t is not sustainable. It's just a way of buying votes and skewing the stats.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Old 01-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
At some point, the wise man gets a rope and hangs himself from the fence....?

Old 01-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Truth be told, I think this gif is a metaphor for many of our lives. Mine included.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I’ll be honest with you.

IMO we are seeing the effects of using wedge issues on both sides of the border to get elected, it just divides the country.

On a positive note it is good to see our own political parties working together on NAFTA.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Default In my view....

Quote:
Truth be told, I think this gif is a metaphor for many of our lives. Mine included.
Picking a political ‘left’ or ‘right’ team and then declaring it as the ‘good guy’ side

.... is like saying hammers are good.... saws are bad.... only use hammers.....

Just stupid and small minded really. As soon as you think you should choose a ‘side’, you should slap yourself for being indoctrinated.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Picking a political ‘left’ or ‘right’ team and then declaring it as the ‘good guy’ side

Just stupid and small minded really. As soon as you think you should choose a ‘side’, you should slap yourself for being indoctrinated.
Careful Bessie, or you'll blow some minds.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowierjp View Post
I'd forgo pay for a bit to have President Trump at the helm of the military. Cuz the rest of the year would #winning.
As long as the tracks are lubbed with liberal tears and hissy fits that coal burning super train is full steam ahead.
You and anyone in your gene pool should be the first to enlist!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:12 PM

Default Yer right....

Quote:
Careful Bessie, or you'll blow some minds.
Er..... Go mighty Oil!

Where’s me whiskey ...!?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of more than political parties when I said it is a metaphor for many of our lives. I was thinking jobs, houses, spouses, vehicles, past-times, guns etc...

Political parties are in many cases, a lifelong pattern kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys.

I agree with your comment of being indoctrinated. Life is much too complex for a simple political spectrum, and to think of any one party in a functioning democracy as totally out to lunch is short-sighted. They all have something to offer.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
You and anyone in your gene pool should be the first to enlist!
Ha, caught a one in my trap. Have a good day folks.
Ps. I Love us deplorables, good company we are.

Last edited by dowierjp; 01-20-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Well....

Quote:
I was thinking of more than political parties when I said it is a metaphor for many of our lives. I was thinking jobs, houses, spouses, past-times, guns etc...

Political parties are in many cases, a lifelong pattern kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys.

I agree with your comment of being indoctrinated. Life is much too complex for a simple political spectrum.
Your right......

Cept for whisky brands....

.... and the Dutch....

Anyways...... the Maralago celebration will be a ‘let them eat cake’ festival for the Left media.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Unhappy

In my younger days, I spent the better part of 12 years living down in the States, before I came back home. By my measure, US politics (and society) has not been this polarised since back in the days of the Vietnam War, the Draft, and all the Civil Rights turmoil.

Sadly, I don't see this present polarisation in the States ending any time soon.

Selkirk
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Your right......

Cept for whisky brands....

.... and the Dutch....

Anyways...... the Maralago celebration will be a ‘let them eat cake’ festival for the Left media.
Careful there.. I'm dutch