Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 10:45 PM

Default Metal Detector?

So I am wondering if a metal detector is a worthwhile purchase for trying to recover lost arrows?

I looked up Top 10 Metal Detectors and there's a Pancky on Amazon for $190.

It's rated as top rated 'value, beginner type'.

I want to go back to where I shot my bull moose this year, to try to recover my crossbow bolt.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-08-2022, 12:20 AM

I lost 3 arrows in one area and got one of the best detectors on the market I gridded the whole area, ended up finding a musket ball (cool man!) and I didn’t find one arrow. A detector can easily find an arrow but the metal parts are quite small and you have to pass right over them, not just “in the vicinity.” I love metal detecting but it’s not too fruitful for finding arrows.
Old 10-08-2022, 02:06 AM

^ Ya I guess the only metal is the broadhead? Everything else is carbon, plastic.

A buddy asked me about the metal detector idea, when I said how I hadn't been able to find my arrow.

Guess I need to think on it?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 10-08-2022, 09:14 AM

I hunt with a guy who won’t give up on a lost arrow, he’s really good at finding them but mostly because he misses a lot 😜 You could make an arrow scratcher, all the trad guys carry them because we’ll shoot at any log or leaf that catches our attention, we lose a out of arrows!
The scratchers will help you find the ones that submarine in the grass and under the leaves etc.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:43 AM

Default My kids use them

...all the time to find lost arrows. Landowner at a place I hunt with horse tenants appreciate that we have them (detectors). They are worried about a dropped broadhead. Even the cheap ones pick up points, inserts and nock collars just fine. Other treasures too.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
...all the time to find lost arrows. Landowner at a place I hunt with horse tenants appreciate that we have them (detectors). They are worried about a dropped broadhead. Even the cheap ones pick up points, inserts and nock collars just fine. Other treasures too.
That’s true, if you want a detector only for arrows you don’t need something fancy. It doesn’t have to discriminate between metals, all you need it to do is go beep when it’s over metal.