Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-13-2022, 04:36 PM

Default Went Bow Shopping today

So after about 17 years of not picking up a bow, I’ve started toying with getting back into it. Way back in 05, I used to own a Mathews Switchback. Sold it and all the accessories. Never touched a bow since. I used to enjoy it, but it got pushed aside for other hobbies.

Fast forward to now- I stopped by Jim Bows today and chatted with the folks there, very helpful and informative. I checked out a bunch of bows, Bowtech, Hoyt, and Mathews. Bowtech was out right from the start. Something about the grip just wasn’t comfortable for me. Then I bounced around a couple of the Hoyt models, RX7, VTM34 and the Mathews V3X, looked at the Phase 4 but never tested it.

In all honesty it was more or less a toss up. The Hoyt and Mathews are excellent pieces of equipment, at the end the guy was just passing me the Hoyt and Mathews so I could follow up one shot with the other bow for as close of comparison as I could get between shots.

Something about the Mathews just felt better… not that there was a night and day difference, just something. So I think I’ve settled on a Mathews V3X. But like any significant purchase I’m going to do some homework before spending the money.

Have any of you folks on here had any experience with either of these bows? Any real world field experience worth passing on? Good, bad, or otherwise!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:01 PM

Try more bows. Nothing bad to say about any of those but your missing PSE, Prime, Darton, Elite, APA. Accurate archery and Wyld archery sell bows as well in the area.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Try more bows. Nothing bad to say about any of those but your missing PSE, Prime, Darton, Elite, APA. Accurate archery and Wyld archery sell bows as well in the area.
Assuming you are in the Edmonton area
Old 12-13-2022, 09:04 PM

I would look at getting a bow from one of the major companies from an actual proshop, parts and service being the main reasons. You went to the right place for that!

LC
Old 12-13-2022, 11:07 PM

I did the exact same thing last year.

Bowtech was out first, even though I had a Bowtech at that time. Next was a toss up between the V3X and the Ventum Pro 33”. I ended up going with the Hoyt since it just felt right in my hands. The draw cycle was just a touch nicer for the way I like it.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:45 PM

Spent last night cruising through websites and YouTube videos researching the V3X bows, and this morning I went back to Jim bows again. (Calgary shop)- those guys are gonna hate me

It was very quiet there this morning, I was the only customer there and 1 guy shooting in the lanes. So the guys behind the counter had lots of time to chat. Lots of patience too. (Thanks guys!)

Anyway they set me up with a Mathews V3X 33 and a V3X 29 and let me go shoot to my hearts content testing both bows, checking in multiple times to see if I had any questions, or offer some input. Not once was I pressured to buy, or felt rushed. It was a great experience.

Anyway between both of these bows it was a virtual toss up. I am having a tough time deciding. But based on my draw length I think the V3X 29 might be the way to go. It just shoots so smooth.

Now I need to pick a color?!