Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Here's a better pic that shows em all . Your guess is as good as mine as to which one they liked . Marty knows more about dogs than anyone on here , maybe he can see one he likes . Peter , have you got a photo of that top lot bobcat ?
Not top lot Cam,but SEL and ill take that any day,Peter.Was right at 36" mark so went LGE instead of XL which would of put it at top of the Canadian West cats,i formed to what I believed was right fit,nice Bob either way,i'm happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOBCAT.jpg (81.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 05-14-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: info
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
clearer is better for sure,but I believe you need good colour,dense fur and heavy pelts with size to get you up in top lots,IMO
With out a clean white belly and no pink phase or coulor it will not happen for top lot and a lot of stars half to lign up behind that but under fur white and no grey and Matt are a big equation to top lot
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 AM

That's a beauty of a cat ,Peter . Do you catch many in your area ?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Default cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
That's a beauty of a cat ,Peter . Do you catch many in your area ?
There are a few in the area i trap,this being my first year trapping here in Alberta i'm sure i will encounter more,got a line on at least 3 more in area i have permission on,can't wait to see what i can intice into my setsThanks H380
Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
With out a clean white belly and no pink phase or coulor it will not happen for top lot and a lot of stars half to lign up behind that but under fur white and no grey and Matt are a big equation to top lot
Thanks for information Secret coulee
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Muskrat

well my missing rat showed up on my lotting letter,graded as 3xxl-xxl SLT NTH,GD,FAL.but am unable to find the lot it has been placed in,can anybody explain last part of grade for me,i know SLT means I first with slight imperfection,NTH,Northern,an good Fall,just wondering if anyone else has this grade and where i can find my rat at,Thanks PETER
Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Default grading

Another I noticed is receiving FAL on rats that were all caught in March,kinda confusing,as theses were not early caught rats
Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Banned

According to the NAFA grading descriptions FAL = FALL.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Rat Grading

Just go to: NAFA website / Wild Fur / Recourses drop down / Muskrat.
Everything you have a grading question on is here. The rat likely had all characteristics of a fall rat, thus the grade....I catch a few SEL SPR rats in the fall, even early fall.

Spruce
Old 05-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Default rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Just go to: NAFA website / Wild Fur / Recourses drop down / Muskrat.
Everything you have a grading question on is here. The rat likely had all characteristics of a fall rat, thus the grade....I catch a few SEL SPR rats in the fall, even early fall.

Spruce
Thanks Spruce,rat was placed in a temporary lot# and will be sold for it's corresponding grade in a listed lot,so a rat that never really fared well over the winter i'm thinking,come to think of it I had a spring grade for a fall rat as well lol
Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Not top lot Cam,but SEL and ill take that any day,Peter.Was right at 36" mark so went LGE instead of XL which would of put it at top of the Canadian West cats,i formed to what I believed was right fit,nice Bob either way,i'm happy
Peter , is that the cat a guy gave you?? That's a beauty!!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Default Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Peter , is that the cat a guy gave you?? That's a beauty!!
Hey Don,you bet i knew it was a good one when i picked it up,predating on barn cats,ate everyone they had,was good and fat

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 05-15-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: info
Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Hey Don,you bet i knew it was a good one when i picked it up,predating on barn cats,ate everyone they had,was good and fat
Maybe that might be the key to lots of spots , cats for food
heading to the Cabin tomorrow , drop by
Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 PM

Default No letter

This is my first season submitting furs to NAFA. I dropped them off at Trapper Gords in DeBolt. Should I expect a letter or do I need to chase them down?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 PM

If you go to nafa sight you can log in with your fur receipt. And look at your fur lots.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertahunter View Post
This is my first season submitting furs to NAFA. I dropped them off at Trapper Gords in DeBolt. Should I expect a letter or do I need to chase them down?
I dropped pelts off on March 18 and opened a NAFA account. Up until this Monday I hadn't received my account number yet. Someone on here pm'd me and told me to contact "Mary" at "M_Schell@nafa.ca". I sent her an email Monday night and she replied the next day with my account number. Then you register on the NAFA site with the info that I mention below. Once your account is setup you can view how your pelts graded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
If you go to nafa sight you can log in with your fur receipt. And look at your fur lots.
You have to have the account number and one other piece of info (a receipt number OR trappers permit number OR (I can't remember the third thing). A receipt number by itself won't do it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 PM

I have never followed ranch mink prices , but from the looks of the sale today and yesterday , there has been close to 100% clearances on all items offered . I would think that is a sign meaning the market is still strong .. Let's hope our wild furs follow suit .
Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 PM

Clearance is %100 but the price is also down another %25 from the winter sale from what I ahve read Fingers crossed rats and yotes still hang in there
Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Clearance is %100 but the price is also down another %25 from the winter sale from what I ahve read Fingers crossed rats and yotes still hang in there
We were all sceptical about the last sale too and tho it was down from last years record setter it wasn't really all that bad . Even if it is lower , I'd still rather have them sell all the lots and clear stuff out than have those buy backs that clog the system .
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
AO Sponsor

For coyotes, the back color is the most important thing obviously, but highest prices are paid for coyotes that have both a good back color plus a clear belly or belly slightly off. I believe the clarity assessment describes the belly. Don't try to read too much into the vague description provided to you! I have a couple of coyotes in the freezer that definitely desrve to be in a true top lot. Maybe I'll try to post picts of them when I get to them. They are both objects of beauty! Very striking backs and both have exceptionally bright bellies.

I've been to the May sale 3 or 4 times and always inspect the top lot coyotes, cats and other such creatures. It has been most insightful. Do the top lot coyotes always have perfect wide white bellies as we envision they should? No, but they are usually decent coyotes. A few years ago the rumour was that guys from central AB and central SK were getting the top lots with their darker coyotes, so that was whacked, inconsistent and goofy, but they do what they do. I suspect this years top lot is going to look out of the ordinary, but all that will be shown will be 8 or 10 skins of the 54. Will be interesting.

On this sale it is said that the Chinese are dominating! What an excellent thing and a sure sign that confidence and demand is returning to the market. If this is the case then we should notice the difference in the rats, red fox, and other articles. The downturn in prices was due to absence of Chinese in the market earlier. Time will tell. However the Chinese don't affect the high end coyote prices, big prices are dependant upon the European buyers attendance, one in particular from Italy, and it was said that he is not coming to this sale.