Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Bow maintenance

I'm pretty new to archery, I've had my bow for 3 years but never got out hunting yet and have gone out and shot it about 2 dozen times usually for a couple hours each time. I wax my strings but was just wondering when does a person need to replace the string? And what other maintenance does a compound bow require. By the way I shoot a bowtech admiral if that makes any difference.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM

Check for string and cable wear, especially around the cams. Check all bolts are tight but don't strip em. I think forum member L.O.S.T. Arrow has a good "check these measurements" list, I can't find it right now, pm him. Every bow has tuning marks to check for string/cable stretch, you will have to consult your manual.

String/cables usually last me 2 years, but YMMV depending on how much you shoot and field wear.

Best bet is take it in to a pro shop.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Other than Waxing strings often...even if not using wax good before storing...

Storing conditions are very important...store in cool DRY, room temp..best laying flat in protective bow case...however beware some foam in cases can attract moisture...avoid high heat or cold or combinations..

I know of several bows exploding in bow cases when strings let go...

Modern bows need little else for maintance as bow, all bearings are sealed and self lubing..one can put a coat of Olive oil [oderless] or gun oil [which may be smelly] on all exposed bolts,screws, nuts etc...

The main limb bolts are the only thing that need a periotic lube/clean with white/lithium type grease, and that should be done at a PRO shop when strings are changed...or if you have a press and feel confident on complete tear down...

At three years your strings will be stretched or have "creeped and settled in" as string manufacturer like to say...

Which means the bow is most likely way out of tune, which effect bow draw lentgh, bow weight, timing, idler/cam lean, brace height, axle to axle length etc which can/will in turn effect accuracy and performance...

Strings if waxed will most likely be in good condition, but take it to a PRO shop and have the bow tuned would be a suggestion

Neil