Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Shoot or NO Shoot ?

We have another Novelty target on the outdoor range...

The Texas Heart Shot !!!

Now before I get everbody riled up its more of a novelty target and dont recommend or suggest the shot on a live animal... on the other hand I also dont condone anyone that is confident enough to make that shot and have seen it done effectively with a bow...its just one I dont take...

Broadside or quartering away is my thing!!!

We had this lifesize Elk target for about a dozen years it lasted good, but the entire middle vital section was getting shot out, and before we could patch it up a mini tornado hit the place taking out several of the targets ...the entire mid section disintergrated and couldnt be saved...so we just had the back rump section and the neck/head front section left...

Dang magpies started pecking out the eyes and pooper just before it disintergrated...than of all things a woodpecker decided it would make a good home and pecked out more...hence the big pooper hole...

Now having a $1200 target and a mid section that costs over half the cost of a new one and the old one already 12 years old we just decided to get a new one...but utilizing the parts we had... to make a shootable target this is what we came up with...

Shooters are advised its a novelty target and begginers are advised it is not a recommended shot...

However am curious on your thoughts on a Texas Heart shot on a live animal

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 06-16-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

I took a Texas heart shot with the rifle on a wounded live animal once before it ran down into a deep dark coulee, at about 75yards....it dropped on the spot and that shot didn't ruin an ounce of edible meat....shall we just say I didn't require a knife to free up the ummm "exit" during the gutting process.

Not a shot I would take under other circumstances though, BUT an already wounded animal than needs to go down perhaps....but not always.

LC
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Dont know why ithe pic came out rotated...

I agree with the rifle Lefty...different ballgame thou..elk have pauches like sandbags ... for bow

Neil
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 PM

X3 on wounded game, not so much otherwise. Can make a mess, or result in a long recovery. Seen it, wasn't so happy to help with the cleanup.

That's a little low for a Texas heart shot, more likely a 'turn em into a steer' shot. Feminist woodpecker?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
X3 on wounded game, not so much otherwise. Can make a mess, or result in a long recovery. Seen it, wasn't so happy to help with the cleanup.

That's a little low for a Texas heart shot, more likely a 'turn em into a steer' shot. Feminist woodpecker?
lol...your right on the steer shot...that one may be more effective in stopping it ...lol

Neil
Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 AM

I arrowed a moose just as it started to rain once. Couldn't really give it any time to die. About 50m from where I'd first shot, it stood up an gave me this same angle of shot. Arrow cut his pecker in half an went into the lungs. Moose just fell over.
I've been at full draw a few times waitin for an animal to turn and have yet to release on a healthy animals backside