Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Default Broadhead Tuning ...

Was asked to re-post this since we couldnt find the original...

Shoot straight

Neil
Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 AM

So simple it works. The only thing missing is to move the sight after both field points and BH are impacting together bringing the groups back to the 10 ring.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
So simple it works. The only thing missing is to move the sight after both field points and BH are impacting together bringing the groups back to the 10 ring.
Great point Pete...

Also a reminder any slight issues that are not evident with with field points may show up with broadheads...as any issue with field points will be magnified with broadheads...

Your bow should not only be tuned to arrows rest etc but also SPEC tuned [ATA, BH, Timing, etc]

And any issues with form can show up with broadhead tune, the biggest culprit is grip and followthru...use a wrist sling, relax grip, proper hand placement and follow thru...

Neil
Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Here's a sticky from another site, that shows it step by step, including finishing by moving the sight.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1606741
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Hey LOST, thanks for reposting this - and River for the link. I had actually read that before but couldn't wrap my head around it 100 per cent before just getting out there and playing a bit.

Once question when it comes to moving the nocking point/rest. How far out of square is acceptable? I was just told that you never want your arrow be out of square from the bow string or your arrow flight will suffer.

But moving my nocking point down has left the arrow point tilted upward slightly - this has seemed to correct a slight corkscrew that I saw with field points and more with broad heads and brought the POI of both broad heads and field points together minus some slight windage adjustments that need to be made.

Sorry for the newb questions here, but I want to make sure I'm actually tuning my bow rather than throwing things out of whack.

I started to broadhead tune right after the local shop spec tuned the bow.

Thanks for any input.

BMD
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 PM

Default Broadhead Tuning ...

Check your tiller or your timing. If it's that out of square that's where it points, imo. Archery talk forum has a sticky called the "nutz and bolts of archery". Download it and it will answer virtually all your tuning questions and in many cases instruct you on proper tuning procedure.

Last edited by normanrd; 06-18-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM

Good Question...Two shooters of same draw...shoot same bow and arrow...same release...two different results...so form has a lot to play..biggest being grip and follow thru..

Bow spec tuned, tuned to arrow and rest arrow OC [on center] berger 13/16 from riser...nocked 1/4 above square of bottom of rest...[ 90 degrees 1/4above] is arrow perfectly OC and square...

However with some shooters and set up that may not be the sweet spot for the bow and/or shooter so rest, nock point may need to be moved to achieve perfect flight...no problem move them!

In fact many Solo cams like to be slightly nock high, I usually set them at 5/16 instead of 1/4...making some arrow in rest looking arrow tip down or nock up.

I am kinna anal about having arrow centered on Berger in rest [rest bolt hole/insert] ...the Berger is the center of the bows universe and designed around it....
One can move rest up or down to achive the desired flight...which I will do...but once I find that..I will move the rest back to arrow OC on berger and than move nock point for same final results

It may be a little more of a hassle to move loop and peep...but once its done bow is OC or center shot...

Moving rest left or right is perfectally acceptable and hows its done to achive arrow flight...as long as its not extreme...meaning too close to riser causing clearance issues or too far out from riser [1" for example]..other issues are at play and need to be looked at and worked out...

But to answer your question ...no it doesnt matter if center shot is slightly high/low or left /right for the shooter or bow...AS LONG as it isnt extreme

in tuning broadheads to field points most end up off perfect center shot or "square" pending on shooter and set up

Clear like mud? lol

Neil
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM

thanks fellas - as always, very helpful. I'm slowly starting to wrap my head around it all and seeking some conformation here always helps give me a bit of confidence that I won't mess anything up too bad.

I think in my situation the nock point is a little too low and the arrow is tilted up a little more than I'd like - I'm going to double check that there's no fletching contact and take it from there.

BMD