Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Rawson Lake this weekend

Hey guys I am thinking of heading up to Rawson on Friday and wondering if it is still worth it and I'd there would possibly still be any hatches up there and wondering what type of flies to bring along, hopefully it is still worth it as I would like to give it one last go before the season ends, I could also bring some spin rods with panther Martin's, what's the best type of panther Martin spinner up There? I will probably pack both fly and spin rods to be safe, I hear the lake is open to fishing till the 31st please correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks guys
NC
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
Hey guys I am thinking of heading up to Rawson on Friday and wondering if it is still worth it and I'd there would possibly still be any hatches up there and wondering what type of flies to bring along, hopefully it is still worth it as I would like to give it one last go before the season ends, I could also bring some spin rods with panther Martin's, what's the best type of panther Martin spinner up There? I will probably pack both fly and spin rods to be safe, I hear the lake is open to fishing till the 31st please correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks guys
NC
Maybe try some midges? Or mosquito patterns
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 PM

I was also thinking about midges, I had luck on the Mosquito pattern and Adams in August but not sure about right now
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM

I was up there last weekend. I had good luck on the ol' orange stimmy or elk hair caddis
Managed four in an hr. If you want to catch them cast out about 30-50ft then slowly strip the fly in to give it a little surface action like a struggling caddis. Had good luck on the south side

Cheers,

T
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam474 View Post
I was up there last weekend. I had good luck on the ol' orange stimmy or elk hair caddis
Managed four in an hr. If you want to catch them cast out about 30-50ft then slowly strip the fly in to give it a little surface action like a struggling caddis. Had good luck on the south side

Cheers,

T
are there fall caddises and yes there are still dang mosquitoes bitin me
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 AM

I don't know. But I do know that elk hair caddis catch cutties in the fall
Old 10-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Two weeks ago I hiked up to an alpine lake in Banff and had a really productive day using a size 10 chernobyl ant with a bright orange belly. I was getting action on almost every cast, those cutties couldn't get enough of it. It's always a good idea to bring some bright chernobyls up to those lakes
Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Hey guys, made it up to Rawson on Friday and even though I wasn't able to stay for long because it was super windy, it was still fun, we ended up catching 2 fish and missing a couple others on Panther Martins in about an hour and a half (tried fly fishing but no rises whatsoever) we even saw a bull moose near the upper kananaskis lake parking lot