Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Jig hook nymph patterns.

Has anyone ever used nymph patterns tied on small jig hooks, like size 10 or 12. Saw some articles about them on the net, and would like to give them a try, but don't know where I can get some.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 PM

Buddy of mine ties most of his nymphs on jig hooks

http://www.canadianllama.com/daiichi...f5nulr0tg51vh6

He uses hanaks though, but that'll empty out a fella's wallet pretty darn quick.

While you're on Canadian Llama, pick up some of their slottet tungsten beads. From there just tie any of your favorite nymph patterns

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Phil rowley you yube stepxster on how to tie balanced flies..
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Smile

I tie a lot of my nymph patterns on jig hooks. Yes Hanak makes some amazing hooks that I use. it is more expensive. But I figure I am worth it.
Some of the more common flies that I tie are a hare's ear nymph. and pheasant tails. The reason I like to tie the nymphs on a jig hook is simple. When fishing nymphs they are down at the bottom of the river and always bouncing along the rocks. If the hook is a normal hook the point of the fly is facing down and gets dull quickly as it bounces along the rocks. With a jig hook the fly will bounce along the bottom, but the bead head will make the jig hook ride upside down and concequently the hook will be sticking up and not getting dull as quickly. Also your hooking % is better as the fish will grab the fly from the top.

Another fly that I commonly tie using the jig hooks is micro leeches. You can get a pretty good ballance out of a jig hook and tungsten bead without adding in a pin and extending the hook out. The ballanced leeches are great to use under an indicator on still water.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to post some pics if you'd like.
Rob
Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info on Jig Hooks, Hanak available in Calgary?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I tie a lot of my nymph patterns on jig hooks. Yes Hanak makes some amazing hooks that I use. it is more expensive. But I figure I am worth it.
Some of the more common flies that I tie are a hare's ear nymph. and pheasant tails. The reason I like to tie the nymphs on a jig hook is simple. When fishing nymphs they are down at the bottom of the river and always bouncing along the rocks. If the hook is a normal hook the point of the fly is facing down and gets dull quickly as it bounces along the rocks. With a jig hook the fly will bounce along the bottom, but the bead head will make the jig hook ride upside down and concequently the hook will be sticking up and not getting dull as quickly. Also your hooking % is better as the fish will grab the fly from the top.

Another fly that I commonly tie using the jig hooks is micro leeches. You can get a pretty good ballance out of a jig hook and tungsten bead without adding in a pin and extending the hook out. The ballanced leeches are great to use under an indicator on still water.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to post some pics if you'd like.
Rob
Please do post some pix Rob.

Thanks again.

Take Care.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverview View Post
Thanks for the info on Jig Hooks, Hanak available in Calgary?
Not to my knowledge.I get mine from Robinson Outdoor Store Victoria b.c Matt KIng very quick with del.Uses canada post for small orders 50 -60 cents for a stamp.You can also buy 2x strong jig hook from mustad,pretty strong Fish tALES has those..Don't recommend Diachii,soft imo.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Smile

Here are a few pictures of nymphs that I tied on jig hooks. Sorry some of the pics aren't super clear. They were just taken quickly on my phone.

This first nymph is one that was featured on Sport Fishing On the Fly. They were fishing for rainbows on the Cowichan River on Vancouver Island. I thought I would tie up some, so I paused the show, took a quick picture of the fly they had finished. I put my phone beside me at the vice and tied my version of the fly. This as you can see with the 5/32 barbell head is one damn heavy nymph. It gets your flies down quickly. You can use this one in place of your san juan work to get your other flies down QUICKLY.

This is that fly on a Hanak hook. I thought I would take some tying thread and see how well it ballanced. Not bad really.

Here is another pattern similar to the top one. I used some different hooks. These are some much cheaper Waspi hooks that I got at Bass Pro. They come with a lead bead on the hook already. I've tried them and they are not as tough as the Hanak. But they still catch fish.

Here is the same fly as above. Just thought I would show you how small these nymphs actually are so I put them beside a dime for a size comparrison.

I get my Hanaks from Robinson's in Victoria. They are very quick to get my hooks to me. Their staff is very knowledgeable. One thing to remember when ordering Hanak hooks though is that their sizing is all wonky. If you want size 10 order size 12 and if you want 12 order size 14 and so on. Always order the size lower than what you want. their sizing is one size larger from what we are used to. Hanaks are not cheap hooks. They are competition hooks which means they have a larger gap on them and they come sticky sharp. They also come barbless. So you won't have to mess around pinching the barbs.

I also tie a wide variety of ballanced micro leeches on both hooks. They work well and as you can see by pic 2 they are not perfectly ballanced, but nature isn't perfectly ballanced either and the fish haven't complained so far.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (120.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (73.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (159.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (127.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Tks very much for pics and info .very helpful
Old 10-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Never used slotted beads before. Will they work well on the Hanak hooks and any suggestions on purchasing and using slotted or will regular beads work. Awesome ties there Kingfisher!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 PM

I get my slotted beads from canadian llama.[tungsten entice,or brass entice].The reason for the use of the slotted bead is.You don't have to use a srtaight pin,lashed forward of the eye.Makes the HL450 hanak sit perfect,with 7/64 bead.but like others have said,if the fish can tell if the fly is horizontal.We have bigger problems..
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks Tallieho. Looks like the only diff. between the H450 and the H400 is gap size.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Here are a few pictures of nymphs that I tied on jig hooks. Sorry some of the pics aren't super clear. They were just taken quickly on my phone.

This first nymph is one that was featured on Sport Fishing On the Fly. They were fishing for rainbows on the Cowichan River on Vancouver Island. I thought I would tie up some, so I paused the show, took a quick picture of the fly they had finished. I put my phone beside me at the vice and tied my version of the fly. This as you can see with the 5/32 barbell head is one damn heavy nymph. It gets your flies down quickly. You can use this one in place of your san juan work to get your other flies down QUICKLY.

This is that fly on a Hanak hook. I thought I would take some tying thread and see how well it ballanced. Not bad really.

Here is another pattern similar to the top one. I used some different hooks. These are some much cheaper Waspi hooks that I got at Bass Pro. They come with a lead bead on the hook already. I've tried them and they are not as tough as the Hanak. But they still catch fish.

Here is the same fly as above. Just thought I would show you how small these nymphs actually are so I put them beside a dime for a size comparrison.

I get my Hanaks from Robinson's in Victoria. They are very quick to get my hooks to me. Their staff is very knowledgeable. One thing to remember when ordering Hanak hooks though is that their sizing is all wonky. If you want size 10 order size 12 and if you want 12 order size 14 and so on. Always order the size lower than what you want. their sizing is one size larger from what we are used to. Hanaks are not cheap hooks. They are competition hooks which means they have a larger gap on them and they come sticky sharp. They also come barbless. So you won't have to mess around pinching the barbs.

I also tie a wide variety of ballanced micro leeches on both hooks. They work well and as you can see by pic 2 they are not perfectly ballanced, but nature isn't perfectly ballanced either and the fish haven't complained so far.

Hope this helps.
Kingfisher:

That first picture looks like it was made for the Cowichan River. They look like Zombies on B.C. bud.

I am going to tie me up some of those rascals.

Thank you.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:19 AM

Smile

Thanks for the laugh G Lynx. Yes they certainly do have that zombie eye look. Something seen before on or around the Cowichan area.

I also use slotted beads on the jig hooks. But you do not absolutely need them. But it does position the bead farther forward and will ballance the fly better for those analretentive engineer types who have to have everything perfect in life. (I say that only because I do have a few fishing buddies who are engineers).
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Those are sharp looking flies. I like how you keep the biot tag ends long in the top. Nice work!