Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Default waders&boots

G'day folks.I need new waders and boots.Seeing as I am backpacking more and more they need to be as light and compact as possible while still durable.Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Simms has nice waders and boots at cabelas probly 6 or 7 hundred when all said n done
Old 10-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Just my 2 cents - make the investment and get Simms or go really big and get Patagonia. I bought some White River Caddis waders, really wanted them to be good as they fit well and have good features...but they leak. Patched them once and they still have an annoying little leak in one leg that I can't find. Same with boots, bought William Joseph boots and though they are holding up, they're not warm and take forever to dry. Wouldn't be worth crap on a hike either. Wish I'd spent the extra cash.

FYI Country Pleasures in Willow Park has some nice Gore-Tex Simms waders on sale right now for $279, awesome deal.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:09 PM

If it was me. And lots of hiking I would go with redington's sonic welded waders in the travel (packable) type or orvis's silver sonics. I own sims they are bullet proof but hotter then hell and not packable for a hike. As for boots go korkers you can change soles hike in on rubber change to felts for fishing.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:57 PM

...depending or your size Country Pleasures has a bunch of Simms boots on sale too! Not endorsing them, just saw on their website.

PS The waders I have are White River "Osprey", not "Caddis". Wouldn't recommend them anyway.

Last edited by dean2287; 10-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 AM

tks guys.am leaning towards redington but not sure.looks like cabelas boots at 2.2lbs are leading so far.also like orvis and they are cheaper than redington. tks for all the imput.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Whatever you get please post up a review, I'd be interested to know how it works out. I may be looking for waders in the near future!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Cabelas boots have served me well
Old 10-30-2014, 02:20 PM

One thing you may want to consider to help lighten your backpacking load is to just leave the waders at home.

I'm assuming that the bulk of the hiking that you'll be doing will be during the spring / summer / fall fishing season, and from personal experience you can easily get by with a set of wet socks inside your boots and just wet-wade. I've seen some sets of wet socks at the fishing shops around town, however I personally just head to the paddling section of MEC and grab a set of wet socks from them (They're typically about 1/2 the price of the Simms branded ones which come up your shin a touch higher than the MEC ones do).

The best part is that it's super easy to find a set of them for under $20, and even if you think it's a bit too cold for wet wading during the early or late season, you'll still be able to significantly lighten your load during the summer months.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM

I got a pair of Patagonia Rio Azul waders, they are super light and good quality
Old 10-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
I got a pair of Patagonia Rio Azul waders, they are super light and good quality
looked these up.sizes given should fit me perfect.only 2lbs 3oz. fits the budget.could be the ones. tks for the tip.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB_FlyFisher View Post
One thing you may want to consider to help lighten your backpacking load is to just leave the waders at home.

I'm assuming that the bulk of the hiking that you'll be doing will be during the spring / summer / fall fishing season, and from personal experience you can easily get by with a set of wet socks inside your boots and just wet-wade. I've seen some sets of wet socks at the fishing shops around town, however I personally just head to the paddling section of MEC and grab a set of wet socks from them (They're typically about 1/2 the price of the Simms branded ones which come up your shin a touch higher than the MEC ones do).

The best part is that it's super easy to find a set of them for under $20, and even if you think it's a bit too cold for wet wading during the early or late season, you'll still be able to significantly lighten your load during the summer months.
like the idea of paddling sox for summer.early spring and fall I need waders.will buy some paddling sox from mec $15 and less than 8oz can't see how I can go wrong.Tks for the tip
Old 10-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
like the idea of paddling sox for summer.early spring and fall I need waders.will buy some paddling sox from mec $15 and less than 8oz can't see how I can go wrong.Tks for the tip
No worries. I've used that set up on quite a few trips and have yet to be disappointed. It's actually quite surprising how cold of water you can easily wade into thigh-deep with only a set of the wet socks.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 AM

Cool idea with the wet socks-going on the stocking stuffer list.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Chota hippy wader socks. Wonder why Springbrook does not carry this model, they are Canadian distributor for Chota.