Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Bow River Etiquette

Had a great float on the Bow on Monday. Only netted 2 bows (one just over 20") and a brown but it was a great day with my son.
I did have an interesting experience with another fisherman that raised some questions about etiquette when fishing a river.
We were floating in a drift boat. I had just bought the boat and it was our first trip on the Bow in several years. We started at Policemen's and soon after we floated past an individual fishing on his own (with his German Shepard) from a Lund Jonboat outfitted with a Yamaha 30 hp Jetdrive (maybe that's enough for some of you to recognize the individual). As we approached him I stayed to the far side of the river. This individual then leapfrogged past us several times to hit the best water. Each time we approached him I stayed to the middle or the far side of the river. After he leapfrogged us a couple times I thought he was being a little selfish. Then shortly after we passed the Cottonwood Golf Club he passed us again to beat us to the high bank on the south side of the river (I was told in the mid 80's that this stretch was known as the The Bay of Pigs and was a prime spot for large trout). He beat us there so, again, I stayed clear. As soon as we were too far downstream to pull in, he got back in his boat and headed upstream. It seems obvious he knew I would stay clear and he only stayed long enough to prevent us from fishing a prime location.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of behavior before? Is it acceptable? Am I being over sensitive?

Feedback appreciated.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

That is why I don't fish the bow in the summer anymore! I don't have a boat so am wading always have to deal with the drift boaters. Not all of them but if your close enough to talk normally to me your too close. But other waders having hissy fits cause I'm fishing "there" pool and they walk through it. I just stay away now. I'll keep trying to beat my Asian friend to our little winter hole by fish creek.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 PM

That honestly just make me fume sitting here so I can't imagine how mad you were and honestly how did you stay so calm.I would have not stood for that bull poop I have many opinions of what to do next time you see that guy but I better just keep them to myself.if you want a little back up next time you go in case you run into this ass give me a pm lol if you go on fly fish Calgary there's a whole bunch of stuff on bow river ettiquette under bow river conditions.If I get a drift boat next year and that bs happens to me I might make the front page of the sun
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Etiquette

A knuckle head is a knucklehead regardless of the boat they are in. I have seen the same thing done with drift-boats over the years it just a little more obvious when there is the noise to accompany it. Some days when the boat traffic is high I fish the opposite water of the majority of boats regardless of how good a bank looks and you would be surprised at how good less pressured banks can be!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 PM

personally though, i prefer the upper bow
Old 10-16-2014, 03:26 AM

Yeah that dude...know him, don't know his name. Talked with the guy for a bit at police, cool dog...don't sweat it he's a douche or a dick in every facet in life, we all know someone like that he's just one of those guys!!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:57 AM

Drifting the Bow can feel like a competition and it can quickly suck the fun out of fishing. The Elk is even worse, not the friendliest guides.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 AM

it would great if every time we fished, we had the place to our selves. and got nothing but fresh water. but that's not how it happens. in most places.

nothings worse than people racing ahead to the spots. but once you realize that no one angler gets the same drift,swing, presentation. fishing behind other people isn't a problem. stressing out, trying to be first, is counter productive.

don't worry about the people racing ahead, and you'll catch more fish than them, and have more fun.

i love catching fish behind other people. actually go out of my way to fish behind other anglers.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Grab the hull number and call him in.

Higher-powered watercraft must yield to lower powered watercraft and not put the lower powered watercraft in a compromising situation. If you can, get him on camera. It takes the he said/she said out of the equation.

His compensating for his little member will soon come to an end.

It is too bad this clown burns the spot when he comes in under full throttle. I wonder if he catches much. hahaha
Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
it would great if every time we fished, we had the place to our selves. and got nothing but fresh water. but that's not how it happens. in most places.

nothings worse than people racing ahead to the spots. but once you realize that no one angler gets the same drift,swing, presentation. fishing behind other people isn't a problem. stressing out, trying to be first, is counter productive.

don't worry about the people racing ahead, and you'll catch more fish than them, and have more fun.

i love catching fish behind other people. actually go out of my way to fish behind other anglers.
I love that feeling as well. I once let my 2 buddies go ahead and I took their sloppy seconds as they watched behind themselves myself releasing one fish after another and they cant believe it. Only difference I was one size smaller in fly and tippet, perhaps presentation as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwo View Post
Had a great float on the Bow on Monday. Only netted 2 bows (one just over 20") and a brown but it was a great day with my son.
I did have an interesting experience with another fisherman that raised some questions about etiquette when fishing a river.
We were floating in a drift boat. I had just bought the boat and it was our first trip on the Bow in several years. We started at Policemen's and soon after we floated past an individual fishing on his own (with his German Shepard) from a Lund Jonboat outfitted with a Yamaha 30 hp Jetdrive (maybe that's enough for some of you to recognize the individual). As we approached him I stayed to the far side of the river. This individual then leapfrogged past us several times to hit the best water. Each time we approached him I stayed to the middle or the far side of the river. After he leapfrogged us a couple times I thought he was being a little selfish. Then shortly after we passed the Cottonwood Golf Club he passed us again to beat us to the high bank on the south side of the river (I was told in the mid 80's that this stretch was known as the The Bay of Pigs and was a prime spot for large trout). He beat us there so, again, I stayed clear. As soon as we were too far downstream to pull in, he got back in his boat and headed upstream. It seems obvious he knew I would stay clear and he only stayed long enough to prevent us from fishing a prime location.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of behavior before? Is it acceptable? Am I being over sensitive?

Feedback appreciated.
Etiquette is becoming a thing of the past, lake, river, pond, icefishing, anglers who fish all of these will have similar stories. A lot more competition the last 10 years or so on our limited bodies of water, some don't know proper etiquette, some know, but don't care. Doubt like anything is going to change with our exploding population, just have to learn to ignore it and move on. Bay of pigs is still an appropriate name for that spot.
Water was so clear that day we could sight fish them, this was in the Bay of Pigs.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Etiquette is becoming a thing of the past, lake, river, pond, icefishing, anglers who fish all of these will have similar stories. A lot more competition the last 10 years or so on our limited bodies of water, some don't know proper etiquette, some know, but don't care. Doubt like anything is going to change with our exploding population, just have to learn to ignore it and move on. Bay of pigs is still an appropriate name for that spot.
Water was so clear that day we could sight fish them, this was in the Bay of Pigs.
That's an awesome POV for the picture. I guess I'll have to bring along my climbing gear next time
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

I know how you feel. Etiquette is a dying trait. I own a drift boat and I give a wide space ( if possible) to the foot fisherman.
That's just fair to them because there hoofing it.
The one poster nailed it as far as slower boats have a right of way to faster boats. Like the foot fisherman the drift boat rower is working for it to. Blowing into a hole and making a lot of noise with a powered boat ahead of anybody is a d - bag move.
I have seen the same move with a wet wader running ahead of me with his dog and messing up the water. I haven't met a lot of jet boaters but the ones I have met are pretty decent the ones that fish. I wish there was more etiquette on water but most people know when there being a dick and they gotta live with it. I also wish people handled fish better and strictly caught and released there fish.
I'm not really responsible for everybody but I do find myself responsible to inform and teach people who don't know and want to know.

Enjoy your boat dude the river will be soon un passable with all the poachers plastic bait containers soon.

Some people's Mother's should have ate them when there bones were soft.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM

not too related but how has the upper/middle to lower bow been fishing recently? Hatches? Nymphs?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
not too related but how has the upper/middle to lower bow been fishing recently? Hatches? Nymphs?
Speaking of poor etiquette ....
Old 10-20-2014, 11:10 PM

Hi , been fishing the Bow for years, seen a ton of good etiquette . Ya like this one time this jetted in a , a cracker jack fly guy used his teeth add cut the line that was on his rod! Passed it over tippit and all , wow thanks . Thin I got back in the boat --- and shut up --- good thing , long walk to the truck.
Anyways /// smile you fishing and enjoying the outDoors man.

Flyfishy still tying stuff.

Last edited by flyfishy; 10-20-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishy View Post
Hi , been fishing the Bow for years, seen a ton of good etiquette . Ya like this one time this jetted in a , a cracker jack fly guy used his teeth add cut the line that was on his rod! Passed it over tippit and all , wow thanks . Thin I got back in the boat --- and shut up --- good thing , long walk to the truck.

Say what?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I says "Pardon"?????
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Default The Good etiquette

Sorry rushed the story! Action going on . Like the Dog barking, texts coming in,BBQ on high, my Son sold his truck, and the wife sayin she's a little h*rr**y trying to work on a post ... Noise! And out of time.
So when inthe Bow best too talk in yourHunting voice!
Or like i'v learnt shut up and fish. Zero noise , Man. they say!
Glad that story's done.
Long walk back to the truck with no Keys. Boat Buddy good etiquette right?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry rushed the story! Action going on . Like the Dog barking, texts coming in,BBQ on high, my Son sold his truck, and the wife sayin she's a little h*rr**y trying to work on a post ... Noise! And out of time.
So when inthe Bow best too talk in yourHunting voice!
Or like i'v learnt shut up and fish. Zero noise , Man. they say!
Glad that story's done.
Long walk back to the truck with no Keys. Boat Buddy good etiquette right?
Much better
Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM

I remember , looking back all them years!
It's good only seen 3 fights! Most, the biggest and the first.

Tons of people using the MightyBow ...
Flyfishy working on my Home Page, thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM

Woah..... no more coffee for you!!!