Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Default tested out my new gopro on the kayak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxsSTZxww4

It seemed to work pretty slick.

Caught a bunch of rainbows on a leech. Water was cold but the release was quick and easy. I use a rubber net this time of year to reduce injury to the trout.

Lots of fun catching anything except a cold.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Nice video, nice fish as well. I have a go-pro as well,they sure take nice video. Were you wearing the head mount?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Nice video, nice fish as well. I have a go-pro as well,they sure take nice video. Were you wearing the head mount?
Just used the head strap mount. Works well enough...just have to remember to not tilt your head, bob your head, watch butterflies go by, turn to every sound etc.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2014, 07:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU4GQHDB03w

Got the hang of using the camera better. I have the wide angle going now. Looks better I think.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM

I cant wait im getting mine for x mas ...sweet video sundance
Old 11-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Great video! I like how the wide-angle lens exaggerates the bend in the rod!
I predict a drone for your Go-Pro this Christmas!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Great video! I like how the wide-angle lens exaggerates the bend in the rod!
I predict a drone for your Go-Pro this Christmas!
I was imagining how cool a drone shot would be. Apparently you can get a locator beacon to wear so that the drone just follows you around for the perfect shot.

Now I just need to figure out how I got the wide angle. My first few videos were narrower. I like the wider angle for sure.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
I cant wait im getting mine for x mas ...sweet video sundance
Thanks.

I took about an hour and a half of video and shrunk it to 15 minutes or so. Just the fighting fish pics.

It would be nice to try a fixed pole on the kayak so you don't get as much bobble head going on. I also seem to tilt my head a lot.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-10-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I was imagining how cool a drone shot would be. Apparently you can get a locator beacon to wear so that the drone just follows you around for the perfect shot.

Now I just need to figure out how I got the wide angle. My first few videos were narrower. I like the wider angle for sure.
I just watched them side by side on split screen. I agree with you, I like the wide angle much better. Nice videos, thanks for posting.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 AM

Nice videos!! I've been thinking seriously about getting a kayak. Now I need a kayak AND a GoPro...
Old 11-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Nice videos!! I've been thinking seriously about getting a kayak. Now I need a kayak AND a GoPro...
Kayaks are lots of fun to fish from. Most important part is knowing how to anchor and what to use. A bow or stern anchor is best for stability in waves. On flat water I use an 8 lb dumbbell. In my larger kayak I use a 10 lb lead anchor.

Casting can be different to cast from also.

Give me a pm in the spring and i will take you out kayak fishing.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Kayaks are lots of fun to fish from. Most important part is knowing how to anchor and what to use. A bow or stern anchor is best for stability in waves. On flat water I use an 8 lb dumbbell. In my larger kayak I use a 10 lb lead anchor.

Casting can be different to cast from also.

Give me a pm in the spring and i will take you out kayak fishing.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Banned

Sundance:

That looks like a white water play yak you were posting from.

Are you into wild water to take pictures?

If you are please post those pictures.

I always thought about the fish below me in those rest eddies where you have to take a rest.

Take care.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Sundance:

That looks like a white water play yak you were posting from.

Are you into wild water to take pictures?

If you are please post those pictures.

I always thought about the fish below me in those rest eddies where you have to take a rest.

Take care.
Yup. I was in a very large back eddie between homes. Not a lot of water flow...but still just the wind action creates some current.

On a serious note... I have fished in a belly boat on a lake with big waves. I would not use one of these kayaks on any real waves. With an anchor you can just get pulled sideways funny and it throws my balance off. Plus you ride through waves more than over with an anchor.

Without a spray skirt I would not go down any serious river in my cheap $200 kayak. I would not trust it should I hit a rock. Fishing from a kayak in the Bow would have it's own challenges. You move very quick in the current. If you were floating in a big back eddy it would probably be ok.

Cheers