Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Duke #4 offset ok for coyote?

Just bought three more traps and wanted to go with 4 coil to mitigate any freeze up that might happen when it gets colder out, but these traps are quite abit bigger than the oneida victors #3 I bought earlier. Are they too big or strong for coyote? It says they're for coyote Lynx and bobcat and that the jaw spread is 6.5 inches. I'm just worried about breaking bones or hurting a neighbors dog should one wander over... Anyone use these for coyotes?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 AM
AO Sponsor

They are a good size, best in my opinion. I don't like the pressed offset on the duke, would rather start with a closed jaw model and weld lugs in to create the offset. Ideally we don't set traps where we are going to hit a dog, unless it's causing serious damage. The #4 Duke is a copy of the #3 Bridger which if modified with thickened jaws called lamination has proven itself to be humane, scientifically.

I would return the offset Dukes and get Canadian modified Bridgers if I was in your place, unless you understand what modifications need to be done and you fully modify them yourself.