Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Need advice on wolves

Do you guys set your baits and then once they comes to the bait then you set your snares on their trails or do you set your snares as soon as you bait the area.
I need some expert advices
Thanks
Old 12-06-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical View Post
Do you guys set your baits and then once they comes to the bait then you set your snares on their trails or do you set your snares as soon as you bait the area.
I need some expert advices
Thanks
On my line I set snares right away the wolves travel a huge area and I usually only get one or two chances to catch them, I had two baits last winter and caught 14, on the one bait they showed up twice, only once on the other one, I did catch a few loners.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:29 AM

. At any bait station, coyote or wolf, I will set up snares in obvious trail pinch points when the bait is put out. Then when animals showed me different locations, I will add snares.
Empty sets don't catch critters.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
. At any bait station, coyote or wolf, I will set up snares in obvious trail pinch points when the bait is put out. Then when animals showed me different locations, I will add snares.
Empty sets don't catch critters.
This. ^
Set a few in the spots that are natural points around your bait but not too close. Create a few spots with subtle re direction, not blocking off or topping in. When you go back maybe you got them, maybe they are developing alternate routes. Then set on the new trails.
Time in the country and lots of wire hanging will up your chances
Placing baits in small clearings or on small beaver ponds works too. Set your snares on the banks over looking the pond. The wolves will circle the pond back in the bush line before they head out to a new bait. Maybe you’ll get a few first time out.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:02 AM

I prep the site in the off season. I cut a trail to ride my ATV or my sled right to the bait and around the bait. I hang my snares within 10 feet of the trail. I found that wolves don't mind walking in the machine tracks but will avoid any sign of human, also I don't have to walk around looking for my snares. I only step off the machine to fix a snare or pick up a catch. See diagram below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canine Bait Setup.jpg (15.0 KB, 111 views)