Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM

Default First check not good

Put marten boxes out Saturday and checked today. Not a bunch, I think 14. I usually only run a few more. Historically, the first check has been one of the best. This first check was a goose egg. Since Saturday its been windy and abnormally warm. I’m hoping that had the negative effect. I put two coyote baits out and they were completely decimated, so they had no problem finding it. No snares though. Will put some snares out on the weekend. Wondering how everyone’s checks have been with this warm spell.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 PM

Default First check

I have about twenty boxes out for about 2 weeks. Really slow 1 marten and a few weasels. Not seen much for sign. Usually November is when I have my most success for Marten. Mild temperatures and notice lots of grey owls.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
I have about twenty boxes out for about 2 weeks. Really slow 1 marten and a few weasels. Not seen much for sign. Usually November is when I have my most success for Marten. Mild temperatures and notice lots of grey owls.
Funny you mention grey owls. Have seen a couple recently. I wouldn’t think they would have an impact on marten populations. I’m assuming coincidence. I would have been pumped to have a weasel by the end of the check. lol. I guess that is the way it goes.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:19 AM

Very slow, skunks are still around and in the bait. Still working on the wind blown trees. We only get 6 -9 marten a season but a few years ago we saw a lot of great gray owls and the marten harvest was low, I asked around and thoughts were the owls wouldn't have an effect, this year we are seeing some owls again so we'll see. Muskeg is like walking on a sponge so be careful.
Doug
Old 12-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Banned

As for owls and martin, I've seen owls parked on a tree, not far from a martin box. only to be by a few days later and see where a "scuffle" had taken place, at that location...I'm not saying who or what might have happened at that time but have seen owls by my sets before....hmmm
Old 12-04-2020, 11:43 PM

Our season started December 1st. I only have 4 boxes out. I checked 2 of them tonight and had one nice size male marten. Will check the other 2 in the morning and as always hope to have more but you know how that goes. If I can get a half dozen this season I would be tickled! Our season runs until February 15 so plenty of time.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Default marten

Fisher may be your problem, this year very high fisher numbers on our line and marten have dropped off.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Owls eat marten. So do fisher lynx and coyote, whatever can catch them. Owls are deadly because marten usually move at night.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:23 PM

I’ve got 40 boxes out I this warm weather. Only 3 marten and a fisher so far. Getting cooler so I’m hoping December is a bit better.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 PM

Lynx stuck his paw in a mink set this morning. Partner passed the empty box at 10am, found him on the return trip at noon. Large kitty. Pulling the set to avoid a similar catch. Glad the trap was properly anchored.