Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-05-2022, 02:08 PM

Default when to hunt mule deer

My cousin/hunting partner and I are likely going to pull mule deer tags this fall in 158 or a surrounding zone. What is the best time of year to chase mulie bucks? I've only ever hunted them up north when I had the best luck during the rut but those were bush bucks that were pulled out by hot does. For this hunt we definitely want to be done before rifle season and the rut. From what I've seen on the forum, opening week appears to be successful and other guys that hunt out there like mid October.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-07-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
My cousin/hunting partner and I are likely going to pull mule deer tags this fall in 158 or a surrounding zone. What is the best time of year to chase mulie bucks? I've only ever hunted them up north when I had the best luck during the rut but those were bush bucks that were pulled out by hot does. For this hunt we definitely want to be done before rifle season and the rut. From what I've seen on the forum, opening week appears to be successful and other guys that hunt out there like mid October.
If your bow hunting the best time is whenever you get a chance. Easier to pattern until the crops come off. Harvest could be in full swing by the time Sept 1st comes around then they get pushed around a bit by farmers. Then they lose their velvet within the first couple weeks of bow season. Then they start moving around a lot more. Sometimes disappear completely if you are after a certain buck. Hunting pressure pushes them to the river and they may not come up again in the daylight until Nov to breed. So whenever you can is the best time.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:26 PM

It is absolutely infuriating to hunt mulies after opening week (as a traveling hunter). Crop harvest, other hunters, more equals trespassing and poaching, cattle being moved, and the inevitable break up of bachelor herds all combine to completely invalidate summer scouting. If you live close you can figure out where they go, but that takes years of watching and hiking and glassing.

Treat it like sheep season. Scout hard for two weeks pre season and be on your target buck opening morning. Shift to plan b or c without hesitation if it doesn’t happen.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:19 PM

100% opening week. Like what was said above, treat it like a sheep hunt. Get out there, scout your butt off, get permission and FIND YOUR BUCKS ahead of the season. They’re super easy to pattern the earlier you locate them. Again, as was said above, once the velvet comes off, harvest starts, they’ll move around more. They’ll be a TINY bit calmer early in the season as well. By the time October comes around, the bachelor groups have broken up, and they’ll be on their own.
Not only that, but the earlier you go, the leaves and grass are all still green and MUCH quieter for stalking in close.
In my guiding, outfitting and personal hunting experience, probably the biggest 5 bucks I’ve been a part of killing have ALL gone down in the first 7-10 days of the season. I would honestly say that 70% to 80% of my success has come in the early season.
Not only all that, but velvet, early season bucks look amazing on the wall.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:04 PM

You’ll have your more consistent luck the first few days of season assuming you’ve done your scouting that being said the rut can always pull out a monster from parts unknown so never give up.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

We have lots of access secured and will get as much scouting done as we can. We may also just bow hunt an adjacent general archery zone this fall and scout the draw zones so I don't blow P15 without having a plan.

I also farm, so timing will depend on how things are going at home but based on the advice above, we'll likely try for early September mulies and then head north for elk ahead around Sept 10th.

With the recent mild winters we have had, there should be some mature bucks around this fall.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Unless they change it this year 158 is open for archery MD without a draw.