Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Smile My Prime Alloy is here. (PICS. NOW)

Well my "new" Alloy finally arrived the day before yesterday. Took it out to Lawrence at Accurate Archery and got it set up with some accessories and pretty much dialed in.

I also picked up some fletching gear and will try my hand at fletching my own arrows this year. I'm pretty pumped and can't wait to get out and really start shooting it, this week is a no go as I'm on call. So I'll have to stick to the "long distance" range in my basement. lol (11 yards)

Pics to follow when I get home from work.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM

Awesome congrats@!!!!

I love mine... unfortunately... Lawrence is putting mine on the hoist tomorrow due to someone being an idiot
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Hope your bow is alright. I read your post on AT I can't believe somebody did that. Mine is sporting a blue QAD rest, peep and sling. lol I know you don't like it but since you already got green, I figured I'd go blue. Trying out the Axis arrows on this one too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 PM

I like the blue.. just green more lol
Old 05-23-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Idiot??????

OK, I will bite. AB, what happen to your new bow?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
X2
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
X2
Not meaning to hijack...

Was at a bbq and was shooting bows with others... and while up on the deck .....flipping moose steaks....... a moron decided to pick up my bow.... pull it back ... and the string slipped from his fingers at full draw. The idiot is paying the bill if there is damages.

Ive heard Primes can handle dry fires.... just didnt want to see my bow do it for proof. The ONE time i didnt lock it in the case when away from it...and that happens. Only damage i see is a few strands broke on the string by the peep..... but Lawrence at Accurate archery is going to gut it and inspect it. .
Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM

I had a friend dry fire my bow a few years ago. He paid for everything that was damaged, but it was a lesson learned. No one touches my bow unless an arrow is on the string.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM

Nobody touches my bow unless they put a down payment of $1000 first.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Nobody touches my bow unless they put a down payment of $1000 first.
I might have to enforce that one, it's a good idea.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
I had a friend dry fire my bow a few years ago. He paid for everything that was damaged, but it was a lesson learned. No one touches my bow unless an arrow is on the string.
I thought id be safe to walk away for 5 minutes to flip a few steaks lol
Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM

Default New bow

Congrats Zuludog on your new Alloy and ABB OMG are you fricken kidding, cant tell you how many bows I have had to fix because of that exact situation nobody touches my bow I make that clear to everyone , it is an investment of time and money that most people don't understand ,sorry to hear about yours I know how much time and money you have put in.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Sorry to hear of the casualty ABB....knock on wood I haven't had it happen to me yet and I hope I never do!

LC
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Banned

How late do you work???!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoo300 View Post
Congrats Zuludog on your new Alloy and ABB OMG are you fricken kidding, cant tell you how many bows I have had to fix because of that exact situation nobody touches my bow I make that clear to everyone , it is an investment of time and money that most people don't understand ,sorry to hear about yours I know how much time and money you have put in.

Ya.. im not too woried. Shes still intact. Ive read many times primes can take dry fires. Il trust Lawrences eye tomorrow if anything needs replacement or fixing.

I swear im destined to not own a compound. Each attempt something happens. Like seriously do people go to gun ranges and walk up to a bench or rack and pick up anybodys gun?

The one string will be on the replace list i do know that.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 05-24-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzoo300 View Post
Yet one more reason to get an 80lb bow. Anyone who can draw it back for the most part should be bow savvy enough not to dry fire it.

Sorry about your luck ABB, I'm sure all is fine tho.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 AM

Zulu we need pics man!!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Yet one more reason to get an 80lb bow. Anyone who can draw it back for the most part should be bow savvy enough not to dry fire it.

Sorry about your luck ABB, I'm sure all is fine tho.
Or they will only get the bow back half or quarter the way and still dry fire it, that what happened to mine anyways.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Zulu we need pics man!!
Finally got around to taking some pictures. They're not the best quality because I'm using my cell phone and photography isn't my strong suit.

My bow is much like ABB's but my peep, sling & QAD rest are in blue, instead of green. It also has a black tight spot quiver and bee stinger stabilizer. I'm really liking the quiver so far, I barely even notice it on the bow. The IQ 7 pin sight is new, I picked it up on a whim last year and I'm going to try it out for now but I may put my MBG Ascent on this bow as that is a great sight, even if I haven't used the slider yet.

My other change is I'm trying out some Easton Axis arrows this year since I got a deal on some. I don't like the fletching though so am in the process of trying my hand at fletching arrows, so no pics of those yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-24 11.18.13.jpg (29.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-24 11.19.29.jpg (22.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-24 11.19.51.jpg (20.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-24 11.20.26.jpg (42.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-24 11.20.41.jpg (43.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Thats awesome!! Gratz on the new bow! I like the green on your site!!! Lol

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 05-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Thats awesome!! Gratz on the new bow! I like the green on your site!!! Lol
Thanks. I was on the fence about getting one but after seeing your pics on here it pretty much tipped the scales. lol I really like the all black bow look. My friend has an all black Impact and I liked that bow but I like the Alloy more, I think it has better balance and weighs nearly a 1/2 lb less. If the Alloy shoots anything like the Impact I'll be very happy.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:17 PM

She looks Killer Zulu...nice ....shoot straight!

Neil
Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Banned

Nice bow dude.
I like the blue accents--- makes it look ghosty
Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 PM

Zulu the bow looks killer, hows she shooting?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Zulu the bow looks killer, hows she shooting?
She's shooting pretty good but I've been tweaking the sight and trying to set up the Retinaloc. UGH! It may wind up getting a new sight or I might use the sight without the Retinaloc.

I've only been shooting it at 20 yards so far and practicing my form in my basement range (11 yards). Once I'm off call I hope to shoot it at 30 yards and beyond, I need the practice plus I need to dial in the remaining pins.

How's the Impact shooting? Are you considering leaving your APA for Prime?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
She's shooting pretty good but I've been tweaking the sight and trying to set up the Retinaloc. UGH! It may wind up getting a new sight or I might use the sight without the Retinaloc.

I've only been shooting it at 20 yards so far and practicing my form in my basement range (11 yards). Once I'm off call I hope to shoot it at 30 yards and beyond, I need the practice plus I need to dial in the remaining pins.

Zulu, make sure that you set the IQ to your anchor by drawing (with an arrow in) eyes closed, anchor as normal, then open eyes and see which way to adjust the IQ. Let down, adjust IQ, repeat until adjusted for each and everytime you anchor.

Only then can you release an arrow and start to adjust the pins. BUT! If you adjust the sight block itself (left/right, up/down) then you must repeat the IQ adjustment process again.

Once you get it set to the point that you hit normal anchor with eyes closed, open your eyes and the IQ is matched up, then you're ready to start everything else. The only other piece of advice I can give is to have your normal anchor so that the string line is next to, or blurred in your vision. Otherwise longer distances you'll be chasing left/right issues (physics doesn't lie on this point)

PM me if you need more info on this....

J.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post

it's too early in the process to tell. I'll have a better idea today