Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Newb

Hey all,

Thinking about buying my first bow. Im an avid hunter, and will likely get into bowhunting in the very near future. Wondering what your thoughts are. Should i go by the old saying buy once cry once and get a real nice bow to start off with, or should i just get something cheap/mid grade to start and end up upgrading later? How much of a difference will it make. I always hear Bowtech mentioned and was kind of leaning in that direction, but is it too much money to invest as a beginner? Or is it smart to do that? I have never shot a compound bow. What are some things to look for/consider when buying a bow?

Any/all advice would be very appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Shoot as many as possible and let the bow pick you

If your a lefty I have a Mathews Helim I'm looking to sell
Old 05-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Some of the less expensive bows may surprise you. I went shopping for my bow. I shot high end bows from a few makers but ended up with the Bowtech Assassin, a mid grade bow. It has since been replaced in the Bowtech lineup with the Carbon Knight. It just felt better in my hands than any of the expensive bows that I tried. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better FOR YOU.

You may take a little bigger loss if you just buy the right bow for you and decide archery isn't your thing and sell. But the higher end bows are easier to sell than the cheap ones, so you'll probably lose less money if that's what it comes to. If you do enjoy it, you've saved money because you've bought it once.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:32 PM

As others may suggest...buy used. Guys are always buying new bows. Might find a good deal on a one or two year old bow. Find out if it's your thing.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Ya I would shoot everything you can new and used. I shot g5 bows , bear , pse, bowtech,hoyt it just turned out the primal was what I liked and I found a good deal on one
I got g5 primal that was a year old at the time and after a year I now own a g5 prime alloy
I would look for a used something used to start . Because after shooting a bit you will find out what you like and want a new bow lol
Looking into
String stops vs limb stops
Length cam to cam
Weight
Ibo speeds
These things I wish I knew more about befor buying the first time
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM

As a fellow Newbie I can give you my experience and thoughts on the matter as I was just in your boat not too long ago. I am usually a buy once cry once kind of guy, within reason. I can't afford the very best but I try to buy quality gear that will last and also be enjoyable to use.

With that said my 1st year I bought a used mid range bow with better than average accessories and entry level arrows. My reasoning was that if I liked bow hunting after spending a season "trying it out" I could sell my equipment and upgrade if I wanted or quit and either way not be out too much $$. I ended up loving it and the next spring upgraded my bow to a brand new model (higher end) with better accessories. I used that bow last year and this year it will either be my back up or I might sell it, I haven't made up my mind. The higher end accessories from last year will stay on my new bow.

Welcome to the sport and hopefully you will love it as much as I do. Bow hunting is addictive. Like I was told welcome to the dark side. lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Be careful with used...although there are many outstanding used bows out there...there are some that can have a lot of issues and that great deal can end up costing you as much or even more than new with a lifetime warrenty...

If you find a used bow have it checked out by a tech that knows what they are looking for... most pro shops wont charge you to look at it and give you an opinion...

Sometimes that lifetime warrenty is worth that couple extra hundred dollars...

JMHO
Neil
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM

Package bows are totally within reach, and have never been better. Saying that i bought a used bow that seven years later is still my old stand by.