Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Broadhead tuning question

Shot a couple broadheads today for the first time...was itching to see how they'd fly so I had a go.

Left and right was on perfectly but they were hitting about 3 inches low at 20 yards.

Is there any tuning issue I should be looking at? I ask this because a lot of people say differences in fieldpoint vs broadhead flight have do do with tuning, but in this case the left/right is on 100 per cent, it's just low. I'm not sure what that leaves me with.

I don't have much room for downward compensation with my sight...my setup is almost bottomed out. My guess is setting the vertical adjustment to compensate for the 3 inch drop i'm experiencing with broadheads will leave me with no more downward vertical adjustment, which I don't like but may have to live with.

I was shooting 100 grain montecs and had 100 grain field points on prior.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Charger with 60-pound limbs backed off 1 and 1/2 turns (if anyone has a guess as to what poundage that would leave me at i wouldn't mind hearing...I'm not too sure myself, but it's what I can manage after doing rubber band exercises and then getting into weights. Starting archery reminded me I had a bum-shoulder, but also spurred me to get back to the gym. I'm capable of pulling a bunch more, just not in the direction that archery requires).

Easton axis arrows, 400, cut to 28 inches, 26.5 draw.

Any ideas on what I can do to tune this? or should I just live with being bottomed out with broad heads.

I realize I'm shooting a pretty heavy arrow, but I like the idea of aluminum shafts. I also like the montecs as they seem like an effective, no nonsense deal, but I'm willing to entertain something different if people think that would help.

Thanks as always. I haven't been posting much but have been lurking and keeping up. Hope everybody's summer is good and their hunting season is even better.

BMD
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Move your rest up a little bit at a time and see I the difference between the broadheads and the field points gets smaller. You could also move the nock point down and do the same thing. I'm thinking you may be nock high.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the rest (it's a trophy ridge wb that came with the bow - i've upgraded the sight but not the rest). The rest doesn't seem to have an up/down adjustment, but it does allow you to tilt it forward or back.

I hope I'm making sense here - I'm just learning how to tinker with the bow and have done a fair bit with my sight but have not touched my rest.

As it stands, the rest seems to be tilted forward a good bit - should I tilt it back, and see what's what?

Or should I look into a rest that allows for more adjustment?

Thanks again for your help.

BMD
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM

I think the rest should be square to the arrow. That would be a good place to start. If you can't move the rest try moving the nock point.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

As mentioned above...since windage is good it is your nock point...
To put it in a way to understand... a too high or too low nock point can/will cause an arrow to porpoise..meaning the tail end of/nock end of the arrow is moving up and down in flight...

In your case the arrow is most likely kicking nock up leaving the bow...
which isnt as noticible with a target tip...however with a broadhead that has in a sence wings on the front of the arrow now the arrow is planning downward...the further the distance the more drastic this will plane..

So its just a simple step to move your nock point/loop ...in your case just move the nock point down 1/16 at a time until broadheads impact with field point...

This will be an huge asset in your tuning...

http://www.eastonarchery.com/uploads...ning_Guide.pdf

Neil
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM

please take the time to read this thread from AT...invaluable.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1606741
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Thanks again for the help...very much appreciated. I can't wait for a couple of dry days so I can get a chance to work on this.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM

One quick related question...what's the best way to nudge the d-loop down?

Should I try to loosen the knots, or should it be cut and a new one made each time it's moved?

Thanks!
BMD
Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Broadhead tuning question

Just turn it around the string and it will either wind up or down. Like the serving is a thread on a screw, if that makes sense.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Paper tuning can show nock point and rest height relation the best.

1. First get the valley of the rest (at peak draw) upto and not beyond the height of the bottom of the burger button hole on your riser.

2. Next get the bottom of the lower nock point to level (with an arrow square) to the arrow with the rest valley minus 1/2 the arrow dia.

Clear as mudd, like so..
y=====>

3. Paper tuning now will tell you to ajust up or down on your nock point.
12 to 20 yards.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
One quick related question...what's the best way to nudge the d-loop down?

Should I try to loosen the knots, or should it be cut and a new one made each time it's moved?

Thanks!
BMD
Pending on who and how loop was installed, once a bow is tuned ...we use a loop pliers that pre stretches the pre stretched loop material [ true lol ] ...and it tightens the loop so it will not /cant move...it will most likely move the center serving with it if tried...

While the loop knots may be super tight...as they should be...most will loosen off carefully using an small pointed awl and/or needle nose pliers...
the loop then can be moved and shot...

snug loop to test than once desired nock height is found... tighten loop so movement will never be an issue...

If loop is damaged during removal or loosening do NOT continue shooting with that loop install a new one, one should always have a spare or spares and know proper way to install or tie.

Write down nock height for future referance...

Neil
Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 AM

Sort yourself out yet Marlie ?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I had a quick chance to shoot a couple dozen arrows in between items on the honey-do list today. Moving the nock point down sorted out the difference in the up/down point of impact. It also gave me some room to play with the sight - its no longer bottomed out. After the change field points were hitting about 3 inches higher at 20 yards and the broad heads were right with them.

After some more practice I noticed that the broad heads are consistently a bit more than 1 inch right of the field points. When I backed off to 30 yards field points were consistently hitting a little left of my point of aim by about an inch.

I'll read up on whats it could be - any ideas here? Great advice so far, thanks everyone for the help!

BMD