Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Getting into Archery

I'm very interested in getting into bow hunting large game. I'm hoping someone would be able to tell me what price range I should be expecting when investing in a bow and everything else needed for bow hunting. I already have a tree stand. But I know pretty much nothing about archery. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
I'm very interested in getting into bow hunting large game. I'm hoping someone would be able to tell me what price range I should be expecting when investing in a bow and everything else needed for bow hunting. I already have a tree stand. But I know pretty much nothing about archery. Thanks everyone.
If you go into this like you were buying a diamond for the love of your life you can't go wrong. 3 months salary

Just kidding of course. AVA, you are likely to get a vast array of responses to this ranging from low low money to top of the mark dollars.

You can spend a lot of money to get into archery, but you can also get into bowhunting for a fairly reasonable initial investment. Have a look at the buy and sell in this forum and take a look at the equipment and gauge for yourself how much you plan on spending.

A word of caution - just like tattoos and potato chips, archery tackle is EXTREMELY addictive!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Prices for starter bow packages will range from $500 - $700. Depending on the shop that may include arrows and a release, but for most it wont.
You can spend $50-$100 on a release and the same on arrows.
You will also need a case, some allen keys are handy to have, string wax...

So you are looking at $700 - $1000 bucks to get you shooting, that is if you buy new.

There are usually good used deals to be had if you look around, this forum has a good buy and sell, check the archery shops, they usually have a used rack and archery talk is another spot for used bows. I recently sold my used bow for 400 bucks and it was pretty much ready to go hunting with.

Head out to a pro shop to get them to measure you up for draw lenght and start looking at bows to get an idea of what you like.

There are many good threads on here about starting into archery, looking back a few pages to find them or using the search function will give you a lot of information as well.

Here is some really good reading for a person looking to buy a bow
http://www.huntersfriend.com/compoun...ion_guide.html

way too much info on arrows: http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_..._chapter_1.htm

Happy reading! Once you research a bit and have more questions come back and fire away.

If you let us know where you are located we can give you some ideas of good shops to go to as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 PM

Default new

You can start big and then not know if your going to like it or start with something simple as a recurve. Can start out with a basic compound(345$), release(39$) and some arrows (65$doz) and try it out. Some people love it and others just try it for a few years before leaving it for rifle hunting. You can come out and try a few different ones, see what u think.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM

Cheap stuff tends to work like cheap stuff, and there are very few second chances in bowhunting. its a lot more work and time spent for an opportunity. personally ive learned to spend the money and be able to trust my gear, instead of fixing of fiddling with it.

Suggestions in brackets, YMMV, others will disagree.

compound bow - 600-1000 new
rest 40-100 (whisker biskit)
sight - 100-300 (spot hogg)
stabilizer, peep, string whiskers/leeches, field points, wax - 100ish
release - 50-100
arrows - 60 - 90 per six
broadheads - 35 -70 per six
quiver - 50ish
rangefinder - 200-400
3D target - 150 -500 (reinhart) - yes this is necessary, deer don't have bulls-eyes to focus on, your mind must be used to picking a spot on an animal

this is the basic, must have list to kill something with a compound bow. And every piece above must work 100% in order for you to be successful, so that's where it is wise to spend money for quality. obviously the skies the limit when it comes to hunting gear, and a lot depends on what/where/when/personal preference etc.

welcome to the addiction
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Rid for my kid

Mathews bow about 600 used
fall away rest about 100 no whisker biscuit because eventually he will hate that thing
Carter release the best in the business about 110
sight about 100 black gold - your new so anything past 30 yards is risky
arrows for your draw lenght and best you can afford about 150 dozen
quiver get a cheap one 30
practice 5 - 6 months then you can go bow hunting
Broadheads about 50
peep and other goodies 100

your confidence comes from shooting a bow tuned for you. Shoot often and live at the archery store for tuning and advice. Ask how to shoot properly or get lessons. Then learn how to hunt with archery gear. This is not spot,stock and shoot, its stealth, planning and scouting. Lots of time in the woods because success rate for bow is 3% while 10% with a gun so the question is - do you still want to bowhunt?

Being defeated is optional!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT Hunter View Post
Mathews bow about 600 used
fall away rest about 100 no whisker biscuit because eventually he will hate that thingCarter release the best in the business about 110
sight about 100 black gold - your new so anything past 30 yards is risky
arrows for your draw lenght and best you can afford about 150 dozen
quiver get a cheap one 30
practice 5 - 6 months then you can go bow hunting
Broadheads about 50
peep and other goodies 100

your confidence comes from shooting a bow tuned for you. Shoot often and live at the archery store for tuning and advice. Ask how to shoot properly or get lessons. Then learn how to hunt with archery gear. This is not spot,stock and shoot, its stealth, planning and scouting. Lots of time in the woods because success rate for bow is 3% while 10% with a gun so the question is - do you still want to bowhunt?
Good advice ...Except for the Ugly Cookie [WB] the only people who hate them are the ones that do not know how to tune and /or shoot them...same can apply to the drop away or any rest...
JMHO
Neil
Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 PM

x2 I may not hunt but love my wb I have wore one out shooting and had no second thought putting a new one on my bow
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM

AVA ?
Why do you want to hunt with the bow?
A rifle or shotgun may be a better choice if you've not hunted before.

First you have to shoot the bow, then you decide if you want to hunt
with it.