Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Default knap-in

Re posting from another site, sorry the cut and paste didnt format well into paragraphs, but the info is all there.

Details on the Knap-In in Lethbridge, Alberta!Archaeological Society of Alberta Lethbridge Centre, Fort Whoop-Up National Historic Site and Barry Rogers (Knapper) invite you to the:First Canadian Knap-In on September 12th to 15th 2014 at*Fort Whoop-up National Historic Site, Lethbridge, Alberta.Master Knappers from Canada and the US will be available to instruct those who want to try or improve their knapping skills.*Canada has had great knapping training sessions, but they always lacked a time to socialize and an opportunity to get to know their fellow knappers.Knap-Ins differ from workshops in that they are usually situated in a camping area and have an evening camp fire to sit around, socialize and to get to know and enjoy fellow knappers.Pot luck suppers and various contests add to the fellowship and enjoyment. I have attended many Knap-Ins in Florida and the Pacific Northwest, and have made many good friends.Fort Whoop-Up was a historic whiskey trading fort built in the mid 1860s. The Northwest Mounted Police (today’s Royal Canadian Mounted Police) was created to curb that whiskey trade. The people at Fort Whoop-Up today interpret and symbolize that whiskey trade.Many of you may wish to visit Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, a UNESCO World Heritage Site near Fort Macleod, about 40 miles west of Lethbridge.If you are a knapper or a wanntabe knapper and wish to attend, register as soon as possible with Barry Rogers at barryrogers@shaw.ca or 403-678-5041. This will help us plan our First Canadian Knap-In and to secure a camping site for you.We are also trying to arrange an archery/atlatl range.There is no entry fee for the Knappers and their families.*Pot Luck suppers will be held: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The main entee will be provided and side dishes are to be provided by knap-in participants. Please bring adequate for your family. Tea, coffee and water will be available all day.You must register for a camping site either trailer or tent, no services, just a field in Indian Battle Park right outside the Fort. There is room for 20 to 30 trailers, plus a few tents. Public toilets are available a short walk away, or in the Fort during open hours.Full service camp ground (Bridgeview RV Resort, 403-381-2357) in the river valley off of Highway #3 is available a short drive away.*Hotels: Two hotels, both at the top of the hill above Fort Whoop-Up are within an up/down hill walk (300 foot elevation above the river valley).Days Inn 100 3rd Ave So. (403-327-6000)Lethbridge Lodge Hotel 320 Scenic Dr. So. 403-328-1123.Lethbridge has supermarkets, Costco, Wal-Mart etc. There is a trailer dump station and potable city water available at the Tourist Information Hut (403-320-1222) on the corner of Mayor Magrath Dr. and Scenic Drive So. A multitude of food facilities are at the hilltop above Fort Whoop-Up, near the corner of 3rd Ave. So. and Scenic Drive, including a nice wine and liquor store.Arriving – to get to the Knap-In:From the East on the Crowsnest Trail Highway (#3) - Entering Lethbridge from the East on the Crowsnest Trail Highway (#3), turn South onto Scenic Drive, go South (about 1/2 Mile) to 3rd Avenue South, then turn right (West) and proceed down the hill to Indian Battle Park. Fort Whoop-Up Interpretive Site is just off to the left at the bottom of the hill.From the West on Crowsnest Trail Highway (#3) - About ¼ mile after you cross bridge over the river at the bottom of the valley, take the First Ave South (City Centre) exit. At the traffic lights at the top of the hill turn right onto Scenic Drive, go 2 blocks, turn right onto 3rd Ave. So. and follow down the hill to Indian Battle Park. Ft. Whoop-Up Interpretive Site is just off to your left at the bottom of the hill.From the South coming in on Highway #4 (from Coutts US/Canada Border Crossing): - Follow Highway #4 to the intersection of Mayor Magrath Drive and continue (West) straight through on to Scenic Drive. Follow Scenic Drive (for 2-3 miles) to 3rd Avenue So., then turn left (West) continue down the hill to Indian Battle Park. Fort Whoop-Up Interpretive Site is left at the bottom of the hill.We have a very limited data base to send this invitation to, ask any knapper or knapper wanntabes if they received this invite, if they would like to be included please forward their names, tel # and emails to Barry Rogers.*If you have question call Barry Rogers, 403-678-5941 or barryrogers@shaw.ca

Last edited by Leather burner; 06-16-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM

To bad this is in hunting season.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM

You'll be tagged out by then Pete!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:50 AM

I agree with Pete..Prime time Elk calling then...if this was in July/August I would go for sure... My name is Neil and I am a Wannabe....

Neil
Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Knap in

Wow, I'd love to go too. Any hope of moving the dates up a bit ? I've knapped quite a bit and I can make a useable head but I'm keen to learn more and hang out with some primitive dudes but the timing is horrible. I know not all knappers are hunters but a lot of hunters are drawn to the primitive arts and we could help to swell the numbers.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM

Definitely taged out if you mean I will have purchased all the tags I hope to use.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:52 PM

I emailed the organizer to advise of folks interested, but not during prime archery season, hopefully he will host another session, or perhaps alter the dates.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Stuff

I emailed the poster because I though to mention this to the alberta traditional bowhunters association but no response...
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Sounds like a fun time! Think I'll be in attendance.