Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Bow river

What section(s) do you recommend fishing around this time? I feel like catchin' few more fish before I pack up the fly rod. I know some parts are closed till December (great section) but any other recommended places? Or its tribs. Hope you had a great season and I hope to bring the camera if I can!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Ill be nymphing the bow and/or its tributaries
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
What section(s) do you recommend fishing around this time? I feel like catchin' few more fish before I pack up the fly rod. I know some parts are closed till December (great section) but any other recommended places? Or its tribs. Hope you had a great season and I hope to bring the camera if I can!
If you read the regs you may find a good sized section of the bow thats open all year.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
If you read the regs you may find a good sized section of the bow thats open all year.
either right near my house in cochrane or down from the Weir to carseland i guess. Might try the bow there or maybe even the Jumpingpound creek. But to be honest i dont care, but id just like a spot nearby to just get a few more good fish before concluding first year fly fishin. Haven't fly fished too successfully this month only a few times
Old 10-22-2014, 02:35 AM

The Bow is open downstream of Harvie Passage (with the exception of the bird sanctuary). The Brown Trout are spawning, so I would avoid the city section. I would recommend sticking downstream of 22x. Be careful though, you can still see the occasional redd---you do not want to ruin the future of our fishery .
Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The Bow is open downstream of Harvie Passage (with the exception of the bird sanctuary). The Brown Trout are spawning, so I would avoid the city section. I would recommend sticking downstream of 22x. Be careful though, you can still see the occasional redd---you do not want to ruin the future of our fishery .
well in december when eggs are in the water ill use some patterns. Will try avoid the city, but wouldnt the fish be more aggressive when spawning? The redd would be cool to see I might try cochrane too, had some success with hoppers in the summer
Old 10-24-2014, 05:28 PM

Nope not during spawning. Neither would you if you only got to once a year. Post spawn fish are aggressive. See above comment. They don't eat much and use a ton of energy to spawn. Not sure if trout guard their redd after
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 PM

I've been nymphing the SE Bow within the city, it's been slow on pheasant tale and water boatman which are usually good. I'm thinking of going further south like policeman's flats or around Cottonwood. Just my hunch but south of where Fish Creek runs into the Bow is likely better than further up. Others have said that anywhere between Policeman's Flats and Carseland is about as good as it gets, just great year round. Past the Carseland weir is closed after Oct 1.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

Any good fishing in the Bow up in Canmore area? Closed area below last bridge east, so west through town to park?