Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

Default Back Country Fly Fishing in Cypress Hills

My brother and I created a video this past October that it is called “Back Country Fly Fishing in Cypress Hills.” I fished the Battle River, caught Brook and Rainbows and saw big Brown Trout in the Redds. The scenery is spectacular. Hope you enjoy it.

Yours truly,

Nick (Lefty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9aZ2nCdzEI
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 PM

Great little video, about a great little stream! Thx
Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Banned

[
B]Cypress Hills Geography, History and Trout Fishing[/B]:

Cypress Hills has the highest elevation before you reach the Rockies and both share geology, plant and tree life even though they are 500 km apart. This region includes the historic Fort Walsh Site which is well known for the famous massacre of Assiniboine Indians on the Banks of the Battle Creek. As a result in 1873, the North-Western Mounted Police were sent to patrol the region to stop the American Whiskey Traders and maintain order. In 1964 Fort Walsh was declared a National Canadian Historical Site.

Battle Creek is the best stream for trout fishing in this region. It flows 200 km east and south from the Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park to the Milk River in Montana. Access to Battle Creek in the Cypress Hills West Block wilderness area is Highway 1 to Maple Creek then via Highways 21 and 271 approximately 50 km southwest of Maple Creek.

The Cypress Hills West Block has 3 rustic camp sites a Ranger Station, the Historic Fort Walsh and some of the best park stream trout fishing. This area has easy access to Battle Creek’s cool water, riffles, runs and deep pools hold brook, brown and rainbow trout. You can camp by the stream bank and catch fish right outside your tent or camper. Several prime fishing spots can be found west of the 3 camp sites, at the camp sites, the area near Fort Walsh and bridges crossing the Creek south of Fort Walsh.

The best time to fish for trout in Battle Creek is usually late June through to October. An abundant population of mayflies, caddis, stoneflies and small minnows are the primary food for trout in Battle Creek. So if you are spin fishing use a lighter rod and reel with smaller sized Mepps or Panther Martin spinners, Len Thompson or assorted spoons. For the fly fisherman use an 8 to 9 foot fly rod with a size 5 reel and floating line for dry fly, nymph and streamer fishing. Try using a dry fly with dropper rig system which is a deadly combination for small stream trout. Simply use a bushy size 12 or 14 dry fly and attach to a size 16 or 18 dropper nymph 18 to 24 inches below. Other recommended flies to use are Adams, Stimulator, Elk Hair Caddis, Blue Winged Olive, Bead-Head Prince, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Gold-Ribbed Hare’s Ear, Woolly Bugger, Leech and Clouser Minnow.

I hope that the information provided above will inspire readers to explore the Cypress Hills next summer and experience the history, rustic camping, hiking and fishing opportunities. It is well worth the trek!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default Pictures from the Cypress Hills

Some additional pictures from the Cypress Hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battle Creek 2.JPG (77.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Battle Creek 1.JPG (57.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 11-17-2014, 10:43 PM

Looks like fun, nice fish
Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Smile

What a beautiful place any time of year. But especially in the fall. I've fished the lakes on Cypress Hills. There was always lots of rainbows eager to take our flies. Never fished Battle Creek though. Looks like a fun little fishery.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Nice. Pretty stream for sure.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Nice little vid What a picturesque area, beautiful fall scenery shots!