Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Default Anyone try these?

I just bought a bunch of these and want to try and throw a couple in the stove to see if they will more evenly heat the cabin and last a bit longer at night before I go to bed. Worth a try for the price I figure

http://www.rona.ca/en/logs
Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Logs

Must be good money in trapping if you can afford those . I think some lump coal would be a lot cheaper and last nicely all night.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 PM

They are like 7 bucks for a pack of 10.........
I figure if they can keep a slow burn on all night then worth the couple bucks for the few nights I actually need them lol
Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 PM

I considered these a while back myself. But if you just throw in a couple somewhat green unsplit poplar logs your stove will burn for most of the night. A good fire during the day will clean your chimney right out
Old 10-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Buying firewood? That stuff grows on trees around here.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Must be good money in trapping if you can afford those . I think some lump coal would be a lot cheaper and last nicely all night.
X2
I'm going to assume the best part about it is the marketing on the box. I'm sure they work, but for $7 I wonder how much better than unsplit anything? I don't know
Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM

It's 7$ for 10 guys..... That is less than a buck a piece. And I thought I was cheap lol WOW
Old 10-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I found an old drip type oil heater at an auction and used that to keep the chill off in the cabin.

Costs just pennies a day and runs for a few of weeks on five gallons of diesel.
Mind you I don't try to keep the cabin warm with it, only keep it above freezing, so most of the time it's not on when I'm in.

I only fire it up when I go to bed or when I leave for the day.

I can't see myself buying wood for my fire, anywhere, anytime. But I do understand that down south there may be far less wood available to many trappers.

Still, I would go with the drip heater if I could find one. Mine cost me $5.00 but they are hard to find these days.

Drip style Oil heater

Down there you might have more luck finding an old pump house heater, it would do the same thing but they run on gas, propane or NG. they can be converted to either.

I have a couple of the gas type heaters lying around. I intend to install one in my porch but the other one or two will likely never get used, at least not by me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-26-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

What are they, compressed sawdust and wood chips?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 AM

Those are dirt cheap. Let me know how they work. If they indeed do burn all night I'd be willing to try them out too.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Id say they would be worth every penny if you're waking up to a warm cabin in the morning. I'd give them a whirl.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM

I'll let you know how it goes. I looked online and you can get them in different sizes. Usually these types of things cost a pile more but when I walked by them and saw the price I figured it would be worth a try. Why not and if it keeps things at an even temp all night then even better
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM

Nube, their was a good discussion on someone saying his cabin was to hot, other than someone saying bring a different lady their were some very good suggestions on how to keep good even temperature both day and night.
My personal thoughts are never use dry split wood at night, let burn down to red coals just before bed and put in large round logs only medium dry or some green, button up for the night.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM

keep us updated on these logs I used coal years ago and now its hard to find down here
Old 10-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Nube, their was a good discussion on someone saying his cabin was to hot, other than someone saying bring a different lady their were some very good suggestions on how to keep good even temperature both day and night.
My personal thoughts are never use dry split wood at night, let burn down to red coals just before bed and put in large round logs only medium dry or some green, button up for the night.
I think with wood it will burn and put off a lot of heat. Like Turbo stated he used coal and I think these logs will act a bit like coal and burn slow because of the thickness and density of the log. The question remains though of how long they will last. I have never burnt coal but would be curious as to how long a big chunk would burn for? I'll let you know what I find out. I have tried the greener logs and found that it's tough to get the right amount of air to burn them consistently without needing too much heat or not having enough air and only half the log burns. These logs might burn more evenly but who knows and its worth the try
Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Good one. I always wondered why more people don't use coal in their wood stoves. Is it hard to find or too expensive?
Good luck on those logs Nube. At about .75-1.50 a night, if it works, sounds like a good deal.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:10 PM

I burn about 4 ton of coal a year heating a shop. It takes a slightly specialized stove to handle coal and care should be taken with carbon steel pipes.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Is it because it burns so hot and for so long Rich? How long does a chunk of coal the size of your fist last? I've never burnt the stuff. I don't plan on it but curious was all
Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Is it because it burns so hot and for so long Rich? How long does a chunk of coal the size of your fist last? I've never burnt the stuff. I don't plan on it but curious was all
if everything is good and airtight you'll get 8 hours out of a good size chunk or two
Old 10-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
My shop is over 2000 sq'. A scoop shovel full in the morning and at night keeps it around 10C in there. The smoke seems to be caustic especially in cool burning situations and it eats up the black stove pipe quick. Stainless is better. It does put out a lot of heat for the volume and the discovery of coal was the first step down the road to fat metro-sexual men! LOL I used to burn 6-8 cords of wood a winter. Lots of time cutting and splitting all replaced by a dump trailer rental of $131 and $200 worth of coal.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:32 PM

Wow that is pretty good burn time and heat and price.I don't think anyone would enjoy the caustic part though.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Give the logs a whirl. I might if it keeps the fire in at night it's worth a little extra. Not like it's the only source, regular wood during the day and these logs at night should work.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 PM

I agree with Keg. We have a heater similar to that. Take the chill out with the wood stove and start the diesel heater and you control the heat with the "carburetor". Uses a four inch chimney and it T's into our six inch stove chimney It uses about 5 gals in four of five days when -20 to 30. Some have a electric fan but they dont have to be used, I would not be with out one.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:39 AM

i tried them a couple years ago in 12x14 tent with stove. picked up a few boxes cause I saw them on sale for $5/box.

they burnt crazy hot and didn't last longer than a hardwood log of similar size. we ended up filling the stove with a mix of real logs and those.

in the end they're probably no better than a real log but for the price they get the stove going quick and heat on before the chainsaw is out of the truck.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
I agree with Keg. We have a heater similar to that. Take the chill out with the wood stove and start the diesel heater and you control the heat with the "carburetor". Uses a four inch chimney and it T's into our six inch stove chimney It uses about 5 gals in four of five days when -20 to 30. Some have a electric fan but they dont have to be used, I would not be with out one.

I use an ecofan, it helps.

Still have one but nothing to use it on now.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM

Nube as already mentioned the amount of BTU's in a large chunk of coal is un real. A 8x8 each block will last a whole night easily, but hard to find now as most coal is small made for a auto stoker. Also coal is very dense/heavy I personally would rather cut a nice block of medium dry birch by cabin, will last whole night.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Night heat

I kind of find this humorous, we heated our house for years with wood, even with babies and small children in the house.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
i tried them a couple years ago in 12x14 tent with stove. picked up a few boxes cause I saw them on sale for $5/box.

they burnt crazy hot and didn't last longer than a hardwood log of similar size. we ended up filling the stove with a mix of real logs and those.

in the end they're probably no better than a real log but for the price they get the stove going quick and heat on before the chainsaw is out of the truck.
^This is accurate. We had a bunch, comparable to similar sized pieces of oak we were using at the same time.

They burn real hot and last about as long. Good for heat, but not what I would think would keep a cabin warm all night long. Interested to hear your findings.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I kind of find this humorous, we heated our house for years with wood, even with babies and small children in the house.
I grew up with wood heat too. 17 people in a four room log cabin heated by a wood burning cook stove.

Winter meant in inch of ice on the windows and half an inch in the dishpan every morning.

As a result my body furnaces go into overdrive when I fall asleep.

Because of that what I find comfortable may be downright uncomfortable for others raise with forced air heat.

I wouldn't buy wood, for any heater but that's me, I understand that others like it warmer at night and they may not have the available wood supply and the heaters I used may not put out enough heat for their liking.

I put it out there in case someone would rather go that route. Not because I think others choices are funny.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Keg, I grew up in Peace Country with wood heat as well. A good story, my father caught older brother with a 5 cent fire cracker, in those days like a small stick of dynamite. My Dad was so mad grabbed it and threw in air tight heater to get rid of it. It could have blown heater apart but lucky only top lid blew open!