Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Drift boats and power drifters

Hey everyone,

Just looking for input on drift boats and power drifters. Wondering what your preferred brand is , some older and cheaper style boats that a newcomer should look into. Also , some places I go would benefit from a power drifter so I can get upstream after my drift. Any info appreciate.

Specific questions regarding styles of boats and their required draft . It’s not real rough or super fast water but some shallow rocky sections and some decent fast water in a few spots.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Tagged for interest,
Flight if you end up with a power drifter, I would like to come for a ride, been interested in them, since first seeing them, on the Skeena, I will pay for fuel and lunch,
Regards Southernman.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:16 PM

I’ll keep that in mind.
If I do get one I’ll test it around McMurray but ultimately I’ve got a few sections of the Winifred and Christina rivers in mind.
I run my little 14’ outboard jet now and it’s fun. But looking For more of a drifter for some faster waters I’d like to row through for fishing and hunting purposes.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:25 PM

A power drifter compared to a drifter is like controlled falling compared to flying.

That's the best way I can put it. Myself I like small drifter's, like Ro Skiffs or Stealthcraft Big Horn Skiff. I have a 15' DRD, which is now defunct. I have also owned a Willies High Side 17'. All though smaller boats don't have the room for table, bbq and chairs. there's enough room for everything else and the boats can go in places you wouldn't normally think about.

I have rowed the above mentioned and Clackas, (Flypod, Lopro and Highside) and Hydes.
Out of the big boats I like the Clacka with full storage the most.
I could see myself owning an adipose skiff one day.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:51 PM

This is my fear. I don’t want to just end up with another power boat, I’ve got one that can run small rivers now.
Looking to drift rocky relatively shallow rivers but have the ability to turn up stream when I hit the big river so I can take out....it’s 20km back up a lazy sandy river to take out or 120 km additional drifting to next take out point lol.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:08 PM

I call dibs on your little Merc jet...lol.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:56 PM

Bought a Hyde power drifter new 3or 4 years ago. Awesome boat, planned on using it on the bow majority of the time, but the bow isn’t what it used to be. Easy to take the family fishing in..... but the skeena would probably be the best river for the boat. One day soon lol
Old 04-20-2021, 11:12 PM

Years ago had a guided trip with "Dutchy" in his power drifter. He's not the most popular guide on the Bow, for good reason!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Years ago had a guided trip with "Dutchy" in his power drifter. He's not the most popular guide on the Bow, for good reason!
Etiquette would not be an issue on the rivers I have in mind.
They might see a canoe group every 2-4 years
Lower sections see big jet boats and small Lund’s with 20hp props on the daily.
Just entertaining options.

Aside from the obnoxious noise of powering upriver and disturbing everyone else , did the power drifter seem like it worked ok?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Etiquette would not be an issue on the rivers I have in mind.
They might see a canoe group every 2-4 years
Lower sections see big jet boats and small Lund’s with 20hp props on the daily.
Just entertaining options.

Aside from the obnoxious noise of powering upriver and disturbing everyone else , did the power drifter seem like it worked ok?
Well yes, it worked beautifully, put in at Policeman's and take out at Policeman's, fish a good run and then motor back up and fish it again.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
This is my fear. I don’t want to just end up with another power boat, I’ve got one that can run small rivers now.
Looking to drift rocky relatively shallow rivers but have the ability to turn up stream when I hit the big river so I can take out....it’s 20km back up a lazy sandy river to take out or 120 km additional drifting to next take out point lol.
If you want to run smaller rivers the powerdrifter is out, you just can't respond fast enough in them, everyone of my buddies that has had one basically stops rowing and just uses the oars to hold distance from shore. So yeah another power boat.

have you thought of drifter with a long leg 9.9HP? This is a pretty popular steelheading setup in the PNW. They consistently back troll the same section, rip back up rinse and repeat.
I have a motor mount on my drifter but any bit of speed and torque will just spin my boat around due to the aggressive rocker and lack of chines.

BUT a hyde with the UMHW bottom has good chines as the UMHW builds up the edge considerably and would protect you from the rocky water you suggested in your first post. I haven't rowed a hyde with the UMHW or an outboard. I would think the UMHW would prevent the floppy floor I dislike from the Hydes.

I see you've got a 14' Jet. I have a 12' Cope. What is your boat and powerplant?

I built mine to specifically run the small creeks off of the Red Deer, I have had a few jets in the past. I was planning on using my jet to pull the drifter back up in the creeks that don't provide the best take outs.

I know it's not the best plan, but its the one I've come up with.
A drifter on a double decker trailer with rollers is no issue to take off or put back up. (got this idea from the Kiwis)

You can never have too many boats..... HAHAHA
Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM

Default drift boat

I have used a 14 foot fibreglass drift boat on the coast for many years-the bottom is about 1 inch thick. The gelcoat gets scared but the glass stays perfect. The one I have had a 10 horse on it as buddy used it on the lakes, but the motor mount goes where the anchor bracket lives so it had to go. I used to drift the Atha B and Mcleod but there are way to many jets now
Old 04-21-2021, 01:22 PM

Jay,

I’ve got a 14’ legend wide body with a factory 25hp merc 4 stroke jet.
Goes pretty good but won’t take a lot of weight. 2 guys and fishing tackle and extra gas.

Put up a few videos on YouTube if you check out my channel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOD1vHYe-s

I did do a Wetlander coating to help bounce off rocks and slide over sandbars. Not that I’m looking for them but I do find the odd one. LOL.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymshooter View Post
I have used a 14 foot fibreglass drift boat on the coast for many years-the bottom is about 1 inch thick. The gelcoat gets scared but the glass stays perfect. The one I have had a 10 horse on it as buddy used it on the lakes, but the motor mount goes where the anchor bracket lives so it had to go. I used to drift the Atha B and Mcleod but there are way to many jets now
I’ve thought of that too. We do have a 9.8hp merc 2 stroke. It’s not a long shaft but is something like 17.5” from clamp to cavitation plate vs a short shaft usually being 15”...
Old 04-21-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
A power drifter compared to a drifter is like controlled falling compared to flying.

That's the best way I can put it. Myself I like small drifter's, like Ro Skiffs or Stealthcraft Big Horn Skiff. I have a 15' DRD, which is now defunct. I have also owned a Willies High Side 17'. All though smaller boats don't have the room for table, bbq and chairs. there's enough room for everything else and the boats can go in places you wouldn't normally think about.

I have rowed the above mentioned and Clackas, (Flypod, Lopro and Highside) and Hydes.
Out of the big boats I like the Clacka with full storage the most.
I could see myself owning an adipose skiff one day.
I have a adopos flow skiff it’s sweet tons of storage and tons of room.You would like to row it it’s a very easy boat to row.Might sell it one day as I want a jet.But I always hear rumours of them banning jets on the bow and that’s what I fish 99 percent of the time.